Hamiet Bluiett R.I.P.

jcam_44

It is now, but it wasn't when the thread was created. Typically, the OP of an obituary thread cites a credible source, often providing a link so we can learn more. When a person hears of such the sad news, our first reaction is "Is it true?"

Rest in peace, Mr. Bluiett, and thank you. I'm going to listen to W.S.Q., the quartet's second release on Black Saint, and savor the sound of his big horn. 

http://stljazznotes.blogspot.com/2018/10/hamiet-bluiett-1940-2018.html

And a Facebook post by Anaya Bluiett, his daughter, after his death:

"Hamiet Bluiett Update: My dad has parted his ways PEACEFULLY today October 4th, 2018 at 3:10pm. I don't know how I'm feeling right now but I do know this: he will be celebrated the way he'd want to be celebrated. I love you forever and ALWAYS and your legacy will live on through me! #DaddysGirlForever"

Edited by bluenoter

Did he ever mention the "blues map" to you? That's what makes me lol the most thinking about him, they asked him where he was from and he said some really tiny town somewhere I can't remember, and I think it was Hemphill who jibed hi with that place ain't even on no map, and Bluiett came right back with hey, it's on the BLUES map! Everybody laughed and then he explained that in France or someplace he saw a "blues map" that was just that, a map of the US with all the blues people's birthplaces and such.

NO idea if or how many legs were being pulled, but that was one of the best friend-exchanges between third parties I've ever had the pleasure of being in the room for.

I remember seeing Hamiet Bluiiett and George Adams with Charles Mingus here in Toronto. At that time no one had heard of either one them, or of Don Pullen, who was the pianist in the band. The music they played had a visceral edge that most of us in the audience found to be very satisfying and it was obvious that Mingus was enjoying the music as much as we were. A couple of months later Mingus was here without Bluiett who'd been replaced by trumpeter Jack Walrath. Walrath was great but Adams didn't impress me as much as he had when playing alongside Bluiett.

1 hour ago, Don Brown said:

I remember seeing Hamiet Bluiiett and George Adams with Charles Mingus here in Toronto. At that time no one had heard of either one them, or of Don Pullen, who was the pianist in the band. The music they played had a visceral edge that most of us in the audience found to be very satisfying and it was obvious that Mingus was enjoying the music as much as we were. A couple of months later Mingus was here without Bluiett who'd been replaced by trumpeter Jack Walrath. Walrath was great but Adams didn't impress me as much as he had when playing alongside Bluiett.

Do you remember where you saw them? I think the second time was at The El Mo but I've never remembered where the first one was. 

The Mingus band with Bluiett and Adams played in the basement of a hotel on Church Street south of Wellesley. Ted O'Reilly will remember the name of the place. As I recall, the band with Walrath and Adams played first at the Colonial Tavern then, later in the year, at El Mocambo.