Mobley Mosaic Packaging Defect?

So, I'm listening to my Mobley Mosaic yesterday for the first time, and I take a close look at the front cover insert on the CD cases. It appears that the picture was truncated. About 15% of the left hand side of the picture seems to be missing. Is it just my set or do others have the same cover? Maybe this was intentional and not a defect? Interesting design choice. Sorry if this has already been discussed.

P.S. Why did I wait so long to get this one? :tup

The two front cover inserts of my Mobley Mosaic are also truncated, however, the pictures exactly match those shown on the box and the booklet. The black space to the left of the photo seems similar to the black spaces that appear on the top and bottom of your television screen when you watch a movie in widescreen format.

The black space to the left of the photo seems similar to the black spaces that appear on the top and bottom of your television screen when you watch a movie in widescreen format.

Unless you're watching it on a wide-screen TV, of course ;)

A non trivial problem is the fact that the picture of Gerry Mulligan on the new Mosaic box is a mirror image. I hate that, as it shows the horn the wrong way around. This has happened on a lot of Impulse digipacks, too. You frequently see sax players playing their instrument with the right hand at the top end. Uggh!

This seems to be a relatively trivial problem compared to the music you've received.

Trivial: yes.

But, still a good topic of conversation on a jazz bulletin board. And, fun to get the opinions of others as to why Mosaic does the things they do.

I'd never have noticed the odd mouthpiece attached to the trumpet on Roy Eldridge Mosaic if it had not been for the discussion on this Board.

MD-222Web.jpg

Edited by wesbed

The cause is that designers make covers following visual criteria in the first place, and if it looks better the other way round, it's done with a mouseclick. You'll find plenty of pictures by media stars used both ways. Just type a famous name into image search at some search engine and take a close look.

With a label like Mosaic, of course, where music takes priority, this shouldn't happen.

This seems to be a relatively trivial problem compared to the music you've received.

It's not a problem whatsoever. Just wondering what the deal is? After all, it's not like it was a gift. I payed cold hard cash for the "privilege". Anyway, the music is transcendent, and the packaging is a little screwy. I'll live. ;)

Couw, thanks for the flip! I actually like the "righted" version better. I know what Shrdlu means about saxophonists with their right hand at the top of the horn (for reversed images). Just something wrong about that.

I mean, when you go to pick your nose, do you really use your left hand?

I had it in my mind that Mosaic had Paul Desmond facing to the right on the cover of the Desmond box. In checking the cover, however, it appears I was wrong. Desmond is facing to the left.

I wonder if there is something more comforting to the mind's eye, having the figure face to the left, when reading the text from left to right?

couw may have a valid point when he wrote that having the figure/artist face one way looks better than facing another way.

c02907ffyji.jpg

Edited by wesbed