Wadada Leo Smith, Milford Graves, Bill Laswell - Sacred Ceremonies

mjzee

Release date May 21:

41ymPf-o9HL.jpg

(3-CD set) Sacred Ceremonies represents a meeting of three true masters of creative music. On this three-CD boxed set trumpet legend Wadada Leo Smith joins forces with the ever-versatile electric bassist Bill Laswell and the late, great master drummer Milford Graves in three separate sessions. The boxed set comprises a duo CD of Wadada Leo Smith with Milford Graves, a duo CD of Wadada Leo Smith with Bill Laswell and a trio CD of Wadada Leo Smith with both Bill Laswell and Milford Graves. Tracks: Disc 1:, 1. Nyoto, Parts 1 - 3, 2. Baby Dodds In Congo Square, 3. Celebration Rhythms, 4. Poetic Sonics, 5. The Poet: Play Ebony, Play Ivory (For Henry Dumas), Disc 2:, 6. Ascending the Sacred Waterfall - A Ceremonial Practice, 7. Prince - The Blue Diamond Spirit, 8. Donald Ayler's Rainbow Summit, 9. Tony Williams, 10. Mysterious Night, 11. Earth - A Morning Song, 12. Minnie Riperton - The Chicago Bronzeville Master Blaster, Disc 3:, 13. Social Justice - A Fire for Reimagining the World, 14. Myths of Civilizations and Revolutions, 15. Truth in Expansion, 16. The Healer's Direct Energy, 17. Waves of Elevated Horizontal Forces, 18. An Epic Journey Inside the Center of Color, 19. Ruby Red Largo - A Sonnet

• 1 month later...

Just finished the first disc, the duets with Milford...Milford was truly amazing. Not "amazing", amazing. So much independence of limbs/times, physically and mentally, it takes an especially learned and evolve human to get to this/those place(s).

2nd disc, duets with Laswell, I actually found "easier" to listen to. Laswell functions more as "context provider", which works just fine here.

Milford is not just four bands in one, he's more more than that, more than just one band per limb, he does so much with each limb within itself, I really could not stop listening to him and just him. Not that Wadada "got in the way"  or anything like that, just that...I don't know of any living human who could single-handedly, in real time, on a monophonic instrument,  match up with all those neural impulses being so perfectly speaking at once, it seems impossible and maybe it is. So I need to adjust back in to what is actually happening, hear it all at once. But that is going to take a lot of discipline on my part because....wow, Milford.

All of which means that Disc 3 tomorrow is going to be interesting, to say the least!

On 04/04/2021 at 9:59 AM, mjzee said:

Release date May 21:

41ymPf-o9HL.jpg

(3-CD set) Sacred Ceremonies represents a meeting of three true masters of creative music. On this three-CD boxed set trumpet legend Wadada Leo Smith joins forces with the ever-versatile electric bassist Bill Laswell and the late, great master drummer Milford Graves in three separate sessions. The boxed set comprises a duo CD of Wadada Leo Smith with Milford Graves, a duo CD of Wadada Leo Smith with Bill Laswell and a trio CD of Wadada Leo Smith with both Bill Laswell and Milford Graves. Tracks: Disc 1:, 1. Nyoto, Parts 1 - 3, 2. Baby Dodds In Congo Square, 3. Celebration Rhythms, 4. Poetic Sonics, 5. The Poet: Play Ebony, Play Ivory (For Henry Dumas), Disc 2:, 6. Ascending the Sacred Waterfall - A Ceremonial Practice, 7. Prince - The Blue Diamond Spirit, 8. Donald Ayler's Rainbow Summit, 9. Tony Williams, 10. Mysterious Night, 11. Earth - A Morning Song, 12. Minnie Riperton - The Chicago Bronzeville Master Blaster, Disc 3:, 13. Social Justice - A Fire for Reimagining the World, 14. Myths of Civilizations and Revolutions, 15. Truth in Expansion, 16. The Healer's Direct Energy, 17. Waves of Elevated Horizontal Forces, 18. An Epic Journey Inside the Center of Color, 19. Ruby Red Largo - A Sonnet

was on my hit list as soon as I saw it last Friday (Squidco weekly update email)

• 1 year later...
On 5/31/2021 at 6:41 PM, Chuck Nessa said:

"The set has been on my desk for a few days but I have been otherwise involved. Maybe I will jump in tomorrow afternoon while Stephen Haynes is here."

This just proves the fact that I am overdue to visit you and Buffalo, Chuck.  Hope you and the family are faring well around the 'big snow storm.'

And the subject at hand - the recording.  I have not listened, though I would, I suppose.  Though I did 'study' with Professor Graves, I have not followed his music past a certain time period.  Have always found the price point on the label to be high.  Perhaps if I understood how/if that high price signifies income for the participating artists, I might be convinced to buy in and purchase.  I have the trio with Enrico Rava, Cyrille and Parker.  Joe Morris gave me his copy, suggested I listen to it, the the sound reminded him of certain things/people. Anyway, I am off topic.  Or maybe not.