Stanley Turrentine and similar Masters

Rabshakeh

35 minutes ago, bertrand said:

I once read a reference in some jazz book to a brother named Marvin who supposedly died in Vietnam, although I actually looked on the wall and did not see his name.

Whether Marvin also was a musician, I do not know.

The first search hit on:  Stanley Turrentine “Marvin”

(W/ quotes only around “Marvin” to get better results)

Edit: AND, this guide to famous internments at the cemetery where Stanley was laid to rest, mentions a brother Marvin, who is also referenced as playing drums…

http://alleghenycemetery.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/turrentine.pdf

This source (perhaps needs verification, it’s a ‘wiki’ style database, but I have no reason to disbelieve it) says Marvin died in 2002…

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Turrentine-532

And this next link might be as interesting a lead as any, but I’m on my phone, and can’t access the pages of the issue in question very easily on such a small screen.

https://issuu.com/michronicle/docs/npcourier2.19.20

This next one says he died in Vietnam…

https://jazzprofiles.blogspot.com/2016/12/stanley-turrentine-texas-or-pittsburgh.html?m=1

This one has a reference to “famed Pittsburgh drummer Marvin Turrentine”…

https://newpittsburghcourier.com/2020/02/26/a-dream-come-true-mobutu-and-charlotte-ka-open-moka-art-gallery-in-the-hill-district/

Edited by Rooster_Ties

14 hours ago, JSngry said:

Stanley Turrentine played American Black Music. As such, there was many ingredients involved. But to get a total picture of who he "was" - from his time with Max Roach to his slurpy Elektra records and back again...it's all some form and/or fashion of American Black Music. That's where it came from, that's where he came from. That's Where It's At....

So yeah, study your Sonny Rollins, but study your Sam Cooke too. Study your Charlie Parker, but study your Dinah Washington too. Etc. These are not different musics, they're different manifestations of the same greater vocabulary. Study the vernacular singers and there you go.

And I guess it goes without saying that he's not the only one. Don't trust anybody who tries to tell you about this type of music and tunes out on the singers. That's just wrong.

100%

The distinction between jazz and popular music that we have today is to some extent “retconned”.  To a lot of the musicians (and audiences) of the time, the boundaries were probably blurry and, to the degree they existed, many musicians felt comfortable criss-crossing.

Stanley’s one of my favorite BN saxophonists - thanks to this thread I’ll have to listen to him some more

Back in the days when I was chairman of the Chicago Jazz Festival we wanted Stanley for the '82 fest. I called his manager (Richard Carpenter) and asked for the fee to get him as a single - we would provide the rhythm section. Carpenter said Stanley doesn't work that way. I said the trio would be Kenny Barron, Buster Williams and Billy Hart. He said that changed everything.

As Stanley was waiting in the wings to go on, a stagehand asked him if he'd be playing tunes xx, yy and zz. Stanley said "No man, this is a Jazz Festival!"

Edited by Chuck Nessa

U.S., Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File, 1850-2010

Name: Marvin W Turrentine
Birth Date: 25 Mar 1944
Death Date: 21 Apr 1992
SSN: XXXXXXXXX
Enlistment Branch: ARMY
Enlistment Date: 13 Mar 1967
Discharge Date: 28 May 1968
Page number: 1

Sisters Madeline and Yvonne per Tommy's obit.  Father's Find A Grave entry and mothers obit mention Florentine but not Madeline.

7 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Back in the days when I was chairman of the Chicago Jazz Festival we wanted Stanley for the '82 fest. I called his manager (Richard Carpenter) and asked for the fee to get him as a single - we would provide the rhythm section. Carpenter said Stanley doesn't work that way. I said the trio would be Kenny Barron, Buster Williams and Billy Hart. He said that changed everything.

As Stanley was waiting in the wings to go on, a stagehand asked him if he'd be playing tunes xx, yy and zz. Stanley said "No man, this is a Jazz Festival!"

Oh man, there are two 1982 Chicago Jazz fest shows up here

https://archive.org/search.php?query=chicago+jazz&page=2

but not that one. Would really love to hear this.

8 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

“Marvin’s Song”

Turns out “Marvin’s Song” was written by brother Tommy, but there’s nothing in the liners specifically about it. All the liners are visible in the release images, here…

https://www.discogs.com/release/3567716-Stanley-Turrentine-If-I-Could

Edited by Rooster_Ties

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Maybe he got messed up in Nam?

Certainly possible. There is a story rhere, I am sure. I nudged Travis Klein on Facebook, hopefully he can get someone to dig more. Maybe the guys who did the documentary.

Does anyone have the phone number for Gene Ludwig's manager :)

It was Stanley Turrentine who first sparked my passion for jazz.   I was listening to FM "Quiet Storm" radio and Pieces of Dreams came on from the just released Don't Mess With Mr. T album.   The big warm sound grabbed me wouldn't let me go.   So I bought the record, then several more Stanley Turrentine albums.  Before I knew it, I was listening to Coltrane.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2021 at 11:12 PM, Chuck Nessa said:

What a great story, thanks for sharing it!

Nice thread.

Stanley's first recording session was in 1950, with Ray Charles, for Swingtime. Here's the Lord entry.

"Stanley Turrentine
[C3828-12] Ray Charles
Ray Charles (vcl,p) acc by Billie Brooks, Fleming Askew (tp) Earl Brown (as) Stanley Turrentine (ts) Maurice Simon (ts,bar) Eddie Lang (g) Frank "Naim Ahmad" McClure (b) prob Eddie Piper (d) unknown d, male vcl-1, band vcl-2 
Los Angeles, 1950
274A+    Kissa me baby [All night long*](1)    Swingtime 274, Festival LP103*, Locomotive
        (F)73702, Zeta (F)ZET707 [CD]
    Hey now    Swingtime 297, Musidisc 30CO1232
362A    The snow is falling (3)    Swingtime 326, Coronet LP173, Locomotive (F)73702,
        Zeta (F)ZET707 [CD]
362A+    Misery in my heart [Goin' to the river*]    Swingtime 326, Hollywood HLP505*
    I'm going down to the river (alt take)    Festival LP103
Note: (3) Also issued as "Snowfall" and "I used to be happy". Although mentioned on the sleeve "I used to be happy" is not on Festival LP103.
(4) Also issued as "Going down to the river", "Givin' it up" and I'm going to drown myself".
Zeta (F)ZET707 [CD] as May/June 1951."

Quite a nice band...

MG