Tyrone Washington - ROOTS!!! (first ever CD reissue)

Rooster_Ties

Thanks.

But some unusually equivocal passages by DG's blurbmeister (bolded) evoke a slight doubt...

A wonderful bit of spiritual soul jazz! This sweet little record was recorded out of the same energy that produced Larry Young's Lawrence of Newark LP for Perception Records, and it's a strange session by Tyrone Washington – a young player from the Newark scene who'd previously cut a straighter album for Blue Note, but who was working here in kind of a messed-up grab bag of styles that fit well with the stoned-out approach of the Perception label. Hubert Eaves plays piano, Stafford James plays bass, Clifford Barconadhi is on drums, and the album's a mix of funk, modal jazz grooving, and a bit of outside activity. In a way, the album's earnestness reminds us of some of Roland Kirk's work from the same time – except that Tyrone's backing group is incredible, with a tight rhythmic sound that gets funky at just the right moments. Titles include "War Is Not For Men", "1980", "Submission", and "Spiritual Light Of The Universe".

I’ve had this on LP for a decade, and had a burn of it for a good five years before that. Always said I’d get this on CD in a heartbeat, and I most definitely will!! — I just never dreamed I’d ever actually get the chance to actually get it on cd.

It’s a FINE album. Anybody who likes anything Tyrone ever recorded elsewhere (in any context), will surely find a LOT to like in Roots. IMHO.

This track "Submission" from Roots seems to be about the only one that's had any sort of reissue, via one or two compilations.

I would say it's not unrepresentative of the rest of the album, but there is some variety to the album too (it's not all just like this).

Here's "Spiritual Light Of The Universe"...

But those seem to be the only two tracks currently up on YouTube at the moment.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I saw this and others from the Perception / Today vaults announced on Dusty Groove and my first thought was that when DJ Spinna did the compliation pictured in Rooster_Ties' post above, he said the tapes were missing.  I did some digging and found the source https://www.villagevoice.com/2012/05/11/qa-dj-spinna-on-perception-records-new-york-soul-in-the-70s-and-why-a-tribe-called-quest-sampled-submission-better-than-anyone/

Here's the relevant passage: "they weren’t a label that I can say people really knew much about. There’s definitely a lot of mystery surrounding the label because there’s no tapes, no multi-tracks or masters. Everything on the compilation for the most part came off of records, so something happened somewhere. I don’t know if the [pressing] plant burnt down or something like that, but something happened"

1 hour ago, felser said:

Do we know if master tapes are used for this reissue?  I'm not up for a $20 needle drop.

Excellent point. Based on posts above, I assume a needle drop. But I don't know where / how to confirm, and am too lazy to attempt e-mailing an unfamiliar Japanese record company.

1 hour ago, felser said:

Do we know if master tapes are used for this reissue?  I'm not up for a $20 needle drop.

Depends on how good the needle drop is too.  Quite a bit of Sun Ra Saturn releases of late have been sourced from LP's, and the results have often been really outstanding.

I paid $25 for Do Right on CD (which I sorta both regret and don't regret) -- but Roots is like 5-10x better than Do Right.  So you know I'm gonna get one.

14 hours ago, T.D. said:

Thanks.

But some unusually equivocal passages by DG's blurbmeister (bolded) evoke a slight doubt...

A wonderful bit of spiritual soul jazz! This sweet little record was recorded out of the same energy that produced Larry Young's Lawrence of Newark LP for Perception Records, and it's a strange session by Tyrone Washington – a young player from the Newark scene who'd previously cut a straighter album for Blue Note, but who was working here in kind of a messed-up grab bag of styles that fit well with the stoned-out approach of the Perception label. Hubert Eaves plays piano, Stafford James plays bass, Clifford Barconadhi is on drums, and the album's a mix of funk, modal jazz grooving, and a bit of outside activity. In a way, the album's earnestness reminds us of some of Roland Kirk's work from the same time – except that Tyrone's backing group is incredible, with a tight rhythmic sound that gets funky at just the right moments. Titles include "War Is Not For Men", "1980", "Submission", and "Spiritual Light Of The Universe".

Otherwise known as Clifford Barbaro, drummer.

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Depends on how good the needle drop is too.  Quite a bit of Sun Ra Saturn releases of late have been sourced from LP's, and the results have often been really outstanding.

I paid $25 for Do Right on CD (which I sorta both regret and don't regret) -- but Roots is like 5-10x better than Do Right.  So you know I'm gonna get one.

Yes, there have been some outstanding Ra LP-sourced reissues. But I had a less-than-great experience with Corbett vs. Dempsey's reissue of Ra's Continuation: CD 2 had crappy sound quality, apparently much worse than on the Bandcamp Vol. 2. 

When DG announces arrival, I guess I'll make a split-second decision on whether to roll the dice. ;)