Elvin Jones' "Midnight Walk"

Larry Kart

This 1965 Atlantic album, coupled now with a worthwhile but not great Atlantic album of the same vintage, "And Then Again," is very close to great in my book. Line up is Thad, Hank Mobley, Dollar Brand, Steve James (el. piano), Donald Moore, bass. Only drawback is that sound quality is less than vivid -- a remastering would be desireable, maybe some dial twiddling will do the trick.

Thad at that period sounds like the trumpet giant ("Bartok with valves" in Mingus' apt phrase from the late '50s) that for some reason he arguably never quite became (too much attention paid to writing/band leading perhaps and/or just not enough evidence on record of Thad soloing at length?), but the adventurousness and intensity of everything he plays here pretty much takes my breath away. "Who is that masked man?" one feels like saying. Mobley is in top notch form, as are Elvin and Brand. Can't believe that this date sat on my shelf unheard for so long.

Always been a favorite of mine and I agree that the audio on the Collectables two-fer isn't the greatest. I always attributed it to the Atlantic fire that destroyed the masters but since there have been several other Atlantic titles reissued on CD with decent sound, maybe it was just a bad tape given to Collectables? There was a Japanese CD issued in 2012 but I did not pick it up.

10 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

This 1965 Atlantic album, coupled now with a worthwhile but not great Atlantic album of the same vintage, "And Then Again," is very close to great in my book. Line up is Thad, Hank Mobley, Dollar Brand, Steve James (el. piano), Donald Moore, bass. Only drawback is that sound quality is less than vivid -- a remastering would be desireable, maybe some dial twiddling will do the trick.

Thad at that period sounds like the trumpet giant ("Bartok with valves" in Mingus' apt phrase from the late '50s) that for some reason he arguably never quite became (too much attention paid to writing/band leading perhaps and/or just not enough evidence on record of Thad soloing at length?), but the adventurousness and intensity of everything he plays here pretty much takes my breath away. "Who is that masked man?" one feels like saying. Mobley is in top notch form, as are Elvin and Brand. Can't believe that this date sat on my shelf unheard for so long.

Interesting questions regarding Thad. There's just not a lot of recorded examples of his soloing at length in the '60s. Mean What You Say (1966) is his only small group record as a leader in the 1960s and the only small group record with him in, say, a leadership position made between the cooperative Motor City Scene (1959) and You Made Me Love You (1975) -- the latter a Japanese release on Elec Records with Gregory Herbert, Mraz, Lewis;  I don't think this one ever came out on CD and I've never seen nor heard the LP.  The next small group record Thad made after that is the great live quartet date for Artist House in 1977 co-led with Mel and featuring Danko and Reid -- look for the CD, it's got two extra tracks, so two more Thad solos.

There are a gaggle of large handful of small group appearances in the period between leaving Basie at the beginning of 1963 and the start of the big band with Mel in 1966, and like Larry says, Thad sounds consistently amazing. But you gotta dig for them. Here's one on a 1963 record. One remarkable trumpet (cornet) chorus over rhythm changes. BTW, that's a very young Chick Corea on piano. You really never know what Thad is going to play. I would love to produce/curate a survey of Thad's soloing in those years, drawing on the sideman dates for both small groups and larger ensembles where he gets a chance to blow. 

14 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Ditto, one of Elvin's best in my opinion. Bought it sound unheard many years ago and it truly floored me.

Funny when I saw it I didn't need to have any idea how it sounded ... Hank was enough to make it an automatic purchase.

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

Thad's on that Dexter Gordon Prestige session that was spread out over two LPs. I think his playing is a lot more on point than Dexter's to be honest.

This slow blues solo is fucking extraordinary. The level of expressive dissonance is off the charts. Downbeat ran a transcription of this back in the day; I think it was by David Baker but I can't put my hands on it  right at this moment. Thad's solo is cued up here. 

Edited by Mark Stryker

4 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

This slow blues solo is fucking extraordinary. The level of expressive dissonance is off the charts. Downbeat ran a transcription of this back in the day; I think it was by David Baker but I can't put my hands on it  right at this moment. Thad's solo is cued up here. 

Whoa! I ordered the album.

21 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

Interesting questions regarding Thad. There's just not a lot of recorded examples of his soloing at length in the '60s. Mean What You Say (1966) is his only small group record as a leader in the 1960s and the only small group record with him in, say, a leadership position made between the cooperative Motor City Scene (1959) and You Made Me Love You (1975) -- the latter a Japanese release on Elec Records with Gregory Herbert, Mraz, Lewis;  I don't think this one ever came out on CD and I've never seen nor heard the LP.  The next small group record Thad made after that is the great live quartet date for Artist House in 1977 co-led with Mel and featuring Danko and Reid -- look for the CD, it's got two extra tracks, so two more Thad solos.

There are a gaggle of large handful of small group appearances in the period between leaving Basie at the beginning of 1963 and the start of the big band with Mel in 1966, and like Larry says, Thad sounds consistently amazing. But you gotta dig for them. Here's one on a 1963 record. One remarkable trumpet (cornet) chorus over rhythm changes. BTW, that's a very young Chick Corea on piano. You really never know what Thad is going to play. I would love to produce/curate a survey of Thad's soloing in those years, drawing on the sideman dates for both small groups and larger ensembles where he gets a chance to blow. 

Mark, You left out this Thad Jones CD.

Thad Jones Quartet - Three And One - Steeplechase SCCD-31197

51QnlZG3vuL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Edited by Peter Friedman

17 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

Haven't dug these Dexters out in ages but thanks for the reminder. I recall them being really good.

4 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Mark, You left out this Thad Jones CD.

Thad Jones Quartet - Three And One - Steeplechase SCCD-31197

51QnlZG3vuL._AC_UY218_.jpg

I was just concentrating on the earlier period between 1963-66, and this one was recorded in 1984, but, yes, there are a handful of small group appearances in Thad's later career. 

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Dexter was making superior records for Steeplechase at the same time. But his Prestige records....not so much.

The session with Freddie Hubbard is a little better, but....

Would we agree that the best Dexter LP on Prestige -- by far -- is The Panther (1970)?

Having said that, the master take of (old) "MIlestones" on Generation has strong and focused Dexter and the band is even better; but the rest of the record to me just doesn't reach the same heights. 

48 minutes ago, Mark Stryker said:

Would we agree that the best Dexter LP on Prestige -- by far -- is The Panther (1970)?

We might not....I've always had a strong preference for The Jumpin' Blues, as well as the two "Power" records. I like The Panther just fine, but for some reason the rhythm section seems a little light to me.

Oh, and The Chase with Gene Ammons.

But those 70s Prestiges...those are not the best.

1 hour ago, Mark Stryker said:

I was just concentrating on the earlier period between 1963-66, and this one was recorded in 1984, but, yes, there are a handful of small group appearances in Thad's later career. 

Having said that, the master take of (old) "MIlestones" on Generation has strong and focused Dexter and the band is even better; but the rest of the record to me just doesn't reach the same heights. 

Yes I agree with Mark and  believe "The Panther" is Dexter's best Prestige recording. Contrary to Jim, I consider the rhythm excellent.

The thread made me pull out "Midnight Walk" this morning, it had been a while: fun, funky, excellent originals, really like Dollar Brand/Abdullah Ibrahim percussive playing here.
Speaking of Thad in the mid-sixties, he has some fantastic solos on Monk's "Big Band and Quartet" ("Bye-Ya", "I Mean You", "Light Blue") and on "The Individualism of Gil Evans" ("Concorde" and "Spoonful", with Elvin again on drums).