Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis

Late

Would it have killed them to includes Jaws In Orbit? Damn near the same band...

OC5qcGVn.jpegMC5qcGVn.jpeg

I get it, Complete cookbook recordings, but technically, Smokin' never bore that designation either. So....missed opportunity for a better value. Now let the Abhorrentians come out with the four from Craft + plus some other hijacked version of this fifth one as The Complete Prestige Lockjaw and Shirley.

Who makes these decisions anyway? I'd rather pay a little extra for the 5th record and skip the t-shirt (which I am doing anyway).

7 minutes ago, JSngry said:

MC5qcGVn.jpeg

Now let the Abhorrentians[a]come out with the four from Craft + plus some other hijacked version of this fifth one as The Complete Prestige Lockjaw and Shirley.

Who makes these decisions anyway? I'd rather pay a little extra for the 5th record and skip the t-shirt (which I am doing anyway).[b]

[a] 🤣

[b] 

That Craft box was already discussed in a different thread, where I wrote about the tracks missing: 

"The European budget label Solar Records did this years ago, fitting all on only three CDs inluding a bonus LP - Craft limits each CD to the "original album". I will probably buy the Craft boy as I expect excellent sound, but they could have done a real big box and cover it all. At least they added the alternate take from the first session that was on on the OJC reissues. But the three sessions resulted in 34 takes - the box has only 26, missing the equivalent of another LP!"

Maybe I would have to take a taste of some of those  Jaws with Organ tunes. I must admit that my disc "collection" of stuff with organ is outright meager. I think I have preferred almost all horn players on albums with p,b,dr etc. . But I remember the all time favourite horns-organ combination was the "Date with Jimmy Smith" with Byrd, Hank, Lou and Art Blakey. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I picked up the vinyl version of this a couple weeks ago. It's very well done. Excellent sound quality and the booklet has great photos without being unnecessarily wordy. I am sure they could have included other albums, but the older I get, the more I appreciate box sets that are shorter and more curated.