Dusko Goykovich, R.I.P.

EKE BBB

I’m also reminded that Dusko was a prominent member of Woody Herman’s mid 60s Herd and featured on albums such as ‘Jazz Hoot’. What a trumpet section that was !

1 hour ago, Big Beat Steve said:

As it happens, I bought the CBBB "Live At Ronnie Scott's/Rue Chaptal" (1969) LP on the Session label last night so will probably spin this in remembrance.
RIP

With Tony Coe’s recent passing, there can’t be many members of the original band lineups left. The only one I can think of is trombonist Erik Van Lier.

Edited by sidewinder

20 hours ago, soulpope said:

st0709-dusko-goykovich-jimmy-woode-bobby

Dusko Goykovich (1931 – 2023)        R.I.P …. btw photography feat. Jimmy Woode und Bobby Jones @ Jazzland, Wien in 1974 ….

Oh, brings back memories. All those great musicians then. 

Jimmy Woode played a lot with my mentor Fritz Pauer, and with Johnny Griffin and the Clark/Boland Big Band, Bobby Jones was the surprise of the early 70´s when he was with Mingus. Nobody had heard about him before, and there he was. He is one of the best musicians on the two Mingus LP´s made in Paris in the early 70´s . 
Once I was presented to his widow and was introduced as one "who know´s Mingus´ Music very well". 
As I said earlier, when I was a kid, Dusko was to me in Europe, what Miles was in America. As much as I loved Miles´ trumpet, I loved Dusko´s trumpet and if I heard a big band I could say it is him who plays that trumpet solo.......

Poor Bobby Jones, he died too early. I think he was just 50 when he died and it was rumored that it was something with his lungs....anyway he looked much older than he was.....

12 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Bobby Jones, yeah, not sure if it was lung cancer or emphysema but something of that sort took him too early. Fantastic saxophonist.

I think in his last years he lived in Munich (Germany) and was married to a german woman. Shortly after Bobby Jones´death she was here in Vienna when I played with Allan Praskin at an open air jazz festival and he introduced me to her. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/10/2023 at 12:43 PM, RogerF said:

A key member of the great Clarke Boland Big Band and one of its last surviving members. RIP Duško

All_Blues_(Clarke-Boland_Big_Band_album).jpg

Yes, those days were wonderful.

Though I´m strictly music and don´t care very much for the rest, let me remark one thing about the writing of his name. There was a phenomen down there in Eastern/South Eastern Europe, that each country writes certain names in different ways. 
I have heard that the original writing of his name in Yugoslavia was else than the way he had adopted it in the States and in Western Europe. 
Many of the slavonic names were written in kyrrilic letters and the countries that had roman letters like in my case wrote the name in a completly different manner.
It was in this case „Dușco Goicovici” , but I think the common way to write it in all the world became Goykovich.

10 hours ago, JSngry said:

What a find ! Is there any more of that CBBB/Dizzy concert available?  Looks like it was recorded in a shed/barn and not a studio. So many great players there - the late Tony Coe, Ronnie Scott, Derek Humble, Idrees Sulieman..

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Though I´m strictly music and don´t care very much for the rest, let me remark one thing about the writing of his name. There was a phenomen down there in Eastern/South Eastern Europe, that each country writes certain names in different ways. 
I have heard that the original writing of his name in Yugoslavia was else than the way he had adopted it in the States and in Western Europe. 
Many of the slavonic names were written in kyrrilic letters and the countries that had roman letters like in my case wrote the name in a completly different manner.
It was in this case „Dușco Goicovici” , but I think the common way to write it in all the world became Goykovich.

Good and interesting point. And a recurrent "problem": The main point in Gojkovic's case was that Serbia also uses Kyrillic lettering whereas Croatia uses Roman letters throughout. So this already might give rise to a difference. Not to mention the fact that the "Serbocroatian" universal language of Yugoslavia is something that probably neither Serbs not Croats nor any of the other ethnic regions down there would want to be reminded of too much anymore today.

AFAIK the universally used spelling in GERMAN was and is "Gojkovic". Which is very close to what the original spelling would be in Croatian (or Roman-letter Serbocroat - give or take a few accents ;)). But try to get English or French language- countries to adhere to something like that ... Which I guess is why Gojkovic changed or "anglicized" his "artist name" spelling somewhat (or let these changes pass ...) once he had gained an international standing.
"Your" "Goicovici" spelling seems very "romanianized" which is a different case again (there is definitely no "i" at the end of Gojkovic's original name - and no need for any to be there - but the "i" makes it "very Romanian", right? ;)) Which OTOH might have a certain slant to it that might raise additional questions (remember the Romanian gymnastics athlete Nadia Comaneci whose ACTUAL name was/is Anna Kemenes as she belongs to the Hungarian minority of Romania ... ? )
So as you can see this kind of garbling up proper names in foreign languages is a true can of worms.
In ANY direction.
Even without the problem of transliterating (more or less phonetically) proper names from, say, Kyrillic into Roman spellings. Which can seem quite arbitrary or even funny. I have a Yugoslavian LP here with a selection of jazz groups from Belgrade that were recorded from 1955 to 1963. Guess how "jazz" is "alternately" spelled in the (Roman-letter) cover text and many of the "period" band names? "DZEZ"! Strictly phonetic, and apparently quite in earnest ... ;) But they have a way with foreign names over there anyway - even when NO Kyrillic transliteration is involved ... ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve