The Jazz Doctors - Intensive Care: Prescriptions Filled - The Billy Bang Quartet sessions 1983​/​1984

colinmce

I had noticed a bit back that the excellent Jazz Doctors LP was due for reissue by Cadillac. What I didn't realize was that the CD edition contains an entire unreleased follow-up album that was recorded in 1984 with Thurman Barker and Wilbur Morris replacing Denis Charles and Rafael Garrett. Very welcome news!

https://cadillac77.bandcamp.com/album/intensive-care-prescriptions-filled-the-billy-bang-quartet-sessions-1983-1984

I’ll probably pick up the CD version - it would be nice if they issued ‘Prescriptions Filled’ also on LP. With Gearbox doing the mastering the LP version is also tempting.

Only ever seen the original LP once in shops but I passed on it at the time.

Seeing this reminds me that our good and missed late friend JohnS was a big Billy Bang enthusiast - I wonder if he saw the band on this particular UK visit?

Edited by sidewinder

If you don't have it, you need the Anima 2 CD set Billy Bang Sextet: Sweet Space / Untitled Gift (featuring Frank Lowe). 8th Harmonic Breakdown 8005-6.

Untitled Gift is a quartet featuring Don Cherry. Sweet Space is the sextet CD.

Edited by jlhoots

16 hours ago, jlhoots said:

If you don't have it, you need the Anima 2 CD set Billy Bang Sextet: Sweet Space / Untitled Gift (featuring Frank Lowe). 8th Harmonic Breakdown 8005-6.

Untitled Gift is a quartet featuring Don Cherry. Sweet Space is the sextet CD.

Added to discogs and ebay wantlists, thanks.  Current best available price is $70, can't go there.

53 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Weren't there some errors with the CDs? I have the LPs so never purchased, but I heard something about that.

The "error" are the uncredited alternate takes on the first CD. Tracks 1-4 are not the original takes from the LP. Tracks 5 - 8 are from the Anima edition. I could compare it to the vinyl from a friend's collection. My copy of the double CD plays just fine.

See also the entry at Discogs which I've amended accordingly. https://www.discogs.com/release/4593175-Billy-Bang-Sweet-SpaceUntitled-Gift

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...