Clifford Jordan - Drink Plenty Water (unissued 1974 Strata East session)

colinmce

Weren't The Dolphy Series records done for a specific label (Futura, or something like that)?

Maybe this new record was not done for that label and therefore would have had a different business provenance or whatever you would call it? 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Maybe so, and I know I'm in the minority, but I prefer In The World. Not as "spiritual", but oh well about that. It's more, uh, in the world! 

It's also a great album, though, as you note, quite different from Glass Bead Games.  Wouldn't want to be without either of them.  In terms of the context of my post, 'In The World' is not offered on the website, where Glass Bead Games is.

Edited by felser

Mapleshade proper did several excellent Clifford Jordan records. I particularly like the one with Ran Blake. You wouldn't necessarily think that one would work, but it does. 

Clifford Jordan was very secure in his voice, so I think he could ultimately play with anybody and it would work, if the other person was equally secure in theirs. Nothing to prove, just make music. 

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Maybe so, and I know I'm in the minority, but I prefer In The World. Not as "spiritual", but oh well about that. It's more, uh, in the world! 

I agree. All the songs are good, but I will never forget how excited I was when I heard "872" for the first time.

On Mapleshade, Live at Ethell's is also good. If I happened to drop by a local jazz club playing this kind of music, I'd be willing to die on the spot. A Sweet Night Music.  However, for some reason, the CD I have is missing one song, "Cal Massey".

5 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Back around 1980, Clifford met with me in Cuscuna's office to pitch me on purchasing the "Dolphy Series" recordings. I still have the list of masters somewhere - it included the Ware and Blackwell dates, but not this new one. Maybe Clifford didn't want it released.

That seems like a distinct possibility

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

I'm with you in that minority.

I always think GBG a bit too long, would have made a better single LP (yes, I know the Japanese edition is single but has all the music).

14 hours ago, JSngry said:

They are both great though I prefer GBG a little. Can’t say I really like the new release, just can’t get into the vocal part. The playing remains excellent.

Got the disc today. very nice, thick booklet with comments from several participants. 

20 hours ago, JSngry said:

Mapleshade proper did several excellent Clifford Jordan records. I particularly like the one with Ran Blake. You wouldn't necessarily think that one would work, but it does. 

Clifford Jordan was very secure in his voice, so I think he could ultimately play with anybody and it would work, if the other person was equally secure in theirs. Nothing to prove, just make music. 

There’s an unreleased Ran album in the Mapleshade coffers btw …

15 hours ago, JSngry said:

Oh????? 

From the notes to the Clifford Jordan CD:

"His discography now numbers 27 records, with two more waiting to be released-- including another Mapleshade, Ellington's Attic, a piano-trumpet-sax-guitar-drums session"

1 hour ago, colinmce said:

"His discography now numbers 27 records…”

Bet that’s probably not including those two excellent Kleinschuster sessions — which are among the best Jordan things I’ve ever heard.

I don’t suppose the liners on this new one list all 27 dates by name, do they? — a full discography would be nice (even if it wasn’t a true sessionography).

To be clear, the quote was about Ran Blake, not Jordan. I think he was pretty far past 27 at that point.

Not sure who the other players on that session were, but my money would be on NEC students, possibly Jon Hazilla on drums. There is a Ran Blake bio coming out soon (that deserves its own thread, and to keep this conversation on topic) that will have a full discography, hopefully including unreleased sessions. 

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Bet that’s probably not including those two excellent Kleinschuster sessions — which are among the best Jordan things I’ve ever heard.

What are those?  Not familiar with them by that description.

9 minutes ago, Eric said:

Scroll down a little.  I think this is it.

https://wallenbink.com

Interestingly, if you go to the Wallen Bink Facebook page, he has a post on the Jordan album!

It isn’t clear those LP’s are legit, and they’re definitely not complete.

This double-cd is definitely legit, and has both Jordan sessions complete.

https://www.discogs.com/release/5725923-Joe-Henderson-Carmell-Jones-Clifford-Jordan-The-Erich-Kleinschuster-Sextet-Volume-1-196869