Nathan Davis & Carmell Jones - The Hip Walk

mjzee

Reissue release date August 11:

91HKLu2WbNL._SL1500_.jpg

Considered one of Nathan Davis’ best albums, and long a collector’s item, The Hip Walk was recorded in 1965, a time when the Afro-American Davis lived in Europe, working with such legends as Kenny Clarke, Art Blakey, Ray Charles, Dexter Gordon, Eric Dolphy and Woody Shaw. Nathan’s Kansas City school mate, trumpeter Carmell Jones – who e.g. worked with Horace Silver, Paul Kuhn, Eugen Cicero - comes along for the ride. A superb album of soulful, swinging jazz – the perfect companion when you feel the need to get in the groove. The album was remastered from the original analogue master tapes by Christoph Stickel (cs mastering) with the vinyl getting an AAA treatment. The original artwork is complimented by a supplement with additional liner notes, pictures, and a scan of the original master tape box. Until now, to get your hand on this early Davis LP you had to be lucky to purchase an expensive original pressing. Finally, it’s available again for everyone to enjoy! The album is featuring Jimmy Woode (bass), Kenny Clarke (drums) and Francy Boland (Piano).

MPS is reissuing it. I wrote the new liner notes for it and I believe they are including the original liner notes as well.

It was a nice surprise to get contacted by them out of the blue, as I don’t write a lot of liner notes.

It will be available on both LP and CD.

Edited by Ken Dryden

I picked up a nice MPS reissue of this in Germany back in the early 2000s (in fact I was in the store, Vinyl West Stuttgart, with fellow board member Aggie). Also have that MPS CD twofer with ‘Happy Girl’. So will pass - but good that it is back out again. How about a reissue of ‘Happy Girl’?

31 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

MPS is reissuing it. I wrote the new liner notes for it and I believe they are including the original liner notes as well.

Nice one. Maybe I should buy it again !

16 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

It was a nice surprise to get contacted by them out of the blue, as I don’t write a lot of liner notes.

Bernie Grundman did the new mastering, it will be available on both LP and CD.

Are you sure it is Bernie mastering it as the first post mentions Christoph Stickel? I'm sure either will be fine but just looking for clarity.

• 1 month later...

It arrived today. Nice to finally have this hard-to-find record in its original artwork. And the sound-quality of this remastered edition is simply amazing.

One of the reissues of the year imo. Hopefully the good people at MPS will consider making 'Happy Girl' available too.

• 4 weeks later...