My Top Three Younger Trumpeters

Larry Kart

Scott Wendholt, John Swana,  Joe Magnarelli

I wonder why no younger African American frumpeters are on my list. My first thought is that among them there is a fairly consistent facile/demonstrative brassiness that to some degree works against the development of individuality. One finds oneself following more or less in the the footsteps of Lee Morgan or Clifford Brown and gets sort of stuck there. 

2 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

I wonder why no younger African American frumpeters are on my list. My first thought is that among them there is a fairly consistent facile/demonstrative brassiness that to some degree works against the development of individuality. One finds oneself following more or less in the the footsteps of Lee Morgan or Clifford Brown and gets sort of stuck there. 

Those three are fine trumpeters, but Magnarelli is 63, Swana 61 and Wendholt is 57, though they are younger than masters like Tolliver, Henderson, Rava, Vache, Faddis, McPhee, etc.

Edited by Justin V

Younger than me. All great.

All great players, but no longer young, alas!

If we can drop the age to 43  we get African American Bruce Harris and at at 32 we have Benny Benack III.

36 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

Terrell Stafford, Joe Magnarelli, Jim Rotondi

Also worth consideration - Brian Lynch & Bruce Williams

Definitely agreed on Brian Lynch, but he's just over a year older than I (who am 65), so "younger" would have to apply in a rather restricted sense.

Guess I think of those three on my list because I'm 81! I'd also like to add Josh Berman, though he plays cornet.

2 hours ago, colinmce said:

Have you listened much to Ambrose Akinmusire? 

Not a whole lot and what I heard I couldn't stand. I 'd have to listen again to say why specifically. Another guy I couldn't stand was the guy who was Mark Turner's frontline partner a while ago. Maybe he is still.

22 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Guess I think of those three on my list because I'm 81! I'd also like to add Josh Berman, though he plays cornet.

Not a whole lot and what I heard I couldn't stand. I 'd have to listen again to say why specifically. Another guy I couldn't stand was the guy who was Mark Turner's frontline partner a while ago. Maybe he is still.

Jason Palmer?

A (very) little Akinmusire goes a long way for me as well.

Old "fartdom" I suppose. 

I'm afraid that it might have been Palmer whose live appearance in Chicago a  few years ago with Mark Turner made me want to throw things (or throw up). On the other hand, at the time I also felt that the cardboard dreariness of Turner's lines might have infected his frontline partner.

7 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Well, might be irreconcilable but if you haven’t heard him with Roscoe Mitchell that may help. Berman is a major favorite of course!

13 hours ago, colinmce said:

Well, might be irreconcilable but if you haven’t heard him with Roscoe Mitchell that may help. Berman is a major favorite of course!

Has Akinmusire recorded with Roscoe? I didn't realise.

I really rated AA's first album on FSNT and then the next two BNs but have cooled since. I saw a quarter at Ronnie's pre Covid and that was intense

11 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

Tis a pity, I can't think of any one even kind of young I like as well.  I don't actively dislike Ambrose, but I haven't been wowed by what I heard either.

Yes, she is such a great loss. One of the most exciting live experiences of recent years seeing Fly Or Die.

Ben LaMar Gay / but also plays cornet

Seeing Peter Evans this Friday with Jessica Pavone, Brandon Lopez & Ryan Sawyer. It’s Jessica’s week at The Stone at The New School

Saw his Being & Becoming quartet in the spring with Joel Ross and they were spectacular and Evans is flat out incredible. But he’s now 41 years old and has been on the scene 16 to 17 years. 

Edited by Steve Reynolds