My Top Three Younger Trumpeters

Larry Kart

I used to consider Jeremy Pelt to be a great "young" trumpeter, but he's 46 now - hardly what I'd consider young.

I think it's getting harder for me to discover new players, particularly because I often go to shows where the players' names are familiar. I do love being pleasantly surprised when a new face shows up there.

I wish I could remember the name of the young tenor sax player that got up and jammed with Bill Pierce during Alex Minasian's show at Scullers last year.

7 hours ago, JSngry said:

I only know Corey Wilkes from a few records . . . 

I saw Wilkes live in Chicago, and he sounded terrific. 

I'd also throw Terell Stafford out there, but -- like many of the other names mentioned -- he's in his mid-50s.  I love how Stafford's sound will sometimes evoke the spirit of Cootie Williams (without sounding like an imitation). 

From the August issue of downbeat, the Rising Star trumpet players according to their 2023 Critics Poll, FWIW I barely recognize a few of the names and that's about it

Etienne Charles..................94
Jason Palmer............................87
Keyon Harrold...........................85
Josh Evans...............................77
Peter Evans..............................77
Jonathan Finlayson..................68
Bria Skonberg...........................61
Ibrahim Maalouf........................57
Laura Jurd.................................53
Lina Allemano...........................52
Yazz Ahmed..............................38
Brandon Lee.............................30
Maurice Brown.........................29
Giveton Gelin............................24
Steph Richards.........................24
Sarah Wilson............................24
Benny Benack III......................21
Victor Garcia.............................21
John Raymond.........................20
Josh Lawrence.........................20

8 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

From the August issue of downbeat, the Rising Star trumpet players according to their 2023 Critics Poll, FWIW I barely recognize a few of the names and that's about it

Etienne Charles..................94
Jason Palmer............................87
Keyon Harrold...........................85
Josh Evans...............................77
Peter Evans..............................77
Jonathan Finlayson..................68
Bria Skonberg...........................61
Ibrahim Maalouf........................57
Laura Jurd.................................53
Lina Allemano...........................52
Yazz Ahmed..............................38
Brandon Lee.............................30
Maurice Brown.........................29
Giveton Gelin............................24
Steph Richards.........................24
Sarah Wilson............................24
Benny Benack III......................21
Victor Garcia.............................21
John Raymond.........................20
Josh Lawrence.........................20

What I find striking is that even this list has only one trumpet player under the age of 30 (Giveton Gelin) and several are close to 50.

2 minutes ago, bresna said:

What I find striking is that even this list has only one trumpet player under the age of 30 (Giveton Gelin) and several are close to 50.

Yes, interesting when we compare the very young ages at  which people made it in the classic era. Think Lee Morgan, Freddie Hubbard, Sonny Rollins, Miles Davis, Paul Chambers, Doug Watkins, Benny Green, Stan Getz, for example. Perhaps part of the answer is that in those days there was a sizeable jazz market ready to grab them, which of course does not exist now.

On 7/10/2023 at 11:21 AM, bresna said:

I wish I could remember the name of the young tenor sax player that got up and jammed with Bill Pierce during Alex Minasian's show at Scullers last year.

Talking of young tenor players, I think Abdias Armenteros (aged 23) is worth watching:

3 hours ago, BillF said:

Talking of young tenor players, I think Abdias Armenteros (aged 23) is worth watching:

So nice to see young people digging Patsy Cline.

5 hours ago, bresna said:

Thanks, I was hoping someone would know how old they are, because I sure don't.

On 7/8/2023 at 11:09 AM, Larry Kart said:

Scott Wendholt, John Swana,  Joe Magnarelli

I wonder why no younger African American frumpeters are on my list. My first thought is that among them there is a fairly consistent facile/demonstrative brassiness that to some degree works against the development of individuality. One finds oneself following more or less in the the footsteps of Lee Morgan or Clifford Brown and gets sort of stuck there. 

With all due respect, I'm not sure why race would be used as a springboard into what is an otherwise interesting thread. I am also personally troubled by the broad brush used in painting the stylistic similarities and artistic trajectory of African American flumpeters/trumpeters.  

I enjoy the musicians that I do because of their playing. Race is not a factor in any way shape or form. Nor is it the basis/criteria upon which I would feel comfortable using to begin a discussion. 

Some album covers show the artists but there are those that don't, which leaves the question of race out of the "picture" (primarily for new artists and lesser known sidemen). I don't stream but I'm going to guess that there are instances that also omit an image of the artists. My ears listen and judge the music and musicians based on what is compatible with my interests. 

I'm certain that this thread wasn't initiated to be a discussion on race. This is clear based on subsequent posts. I just found that initial observation and the reference to race to be very off-putting. 

Just one man's opinion.

5 hours ago, greggery peccary said:

With all due respect, I'm not sure why race would be used as a springboard into what is an otherwise interesting thread. I am also personally troubled by the broad brush used in painting the stylistic similarities and artistic trajectory of African American flumpeters/trumpeters.  

I enjoy the musicians that I do because of their playing. Race is not a factor in any way shape or form. Nor is it the basis/criteria upon which I would feel comfortable using to begin a discussion. 

Some album covers show the artists but there are those that don't, which leaves the question of race out of the "picture" (primarily for new artists and lesser known sidemen). I don't stream but I'm going to guess that there are instances that also omit an image of the artists. My ears listen and judge the music and musicians based on what is compatible with my interests. 

I'm certain that this thread wasn't initiated to be a discussion on race. This is clear based on subsequent posts. I just found that initial observation and the reference to race to be very off-putting. 

Just one man's opinion.

I was just pointing out an aspect of my taste in fairly young trumpeters that seemed odd to me. I never would have come to  a similar conclusion about fairly young tenor players, pianists, bassists , drummers etc. and wondering why that might be. You'll have to trust me that my tastes aren't based on race, never have been. 

On 7/11/2023 at 7:44 AM, BillF said:

Thank you for bringing some spotlight to these brilliant young musicians. As a young'un myself I take much inspiration from them and I feel that they are woefully underrepresented in the jazz discourse.

I would also like to state that I often see you posting on the "what are you listening to" board and I think that I have enthusiastically agreed with every single post. 

All of this to say, I think we should be friends Bill.

28 minutes ago, Stevie Mclean said:

Thank you for bringing some spotlight to these brilliant young musicians. As a young'un myself I take much inspiration from them and I feel that they are woefully underrepresented in the jazz discourse.

I would also like to state that I often see you posting on the "what are you listening to" board and I think that I have enthusiastically agreed with every single post. 

All of this to say, I think we should be friends Bill.

Thank you, Stevie. 😄

On 7/11/2023 at 4:23 AM, mjazzg said:

Finlayson seems to record rarely outside with Steve Coleman. I need to check again as I think he's good 

Two UK based players on that list, Ahmed and Jurd are doing some impressive stuff. I particularly like Yazz Ahmed.

He is excellent. I've seen him with Halvorson, Kris Davis, and a few others (never with Coleman, who I find to be quite lame). 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2023 at 4:23 AM, mjazzg said:

Finlayson seems to record rarely outside with Steve Coleman. I need to check again as I think he's good 

Two UK based players on that list, Ahmed and Jurd are doing some impressive stuff. I particularly like Yazz Ahmed.

His album “3 Times Round” from a couple of years ago capably demonstrates his compositions as well. Kirk Knuffke is great, but how about Adam O’Farrill as well?

LWayne

Edited by LWayne
Added