Vegas Jazz

Rabshakeh

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

Yep. And I don't think she was forced into it. She actually made some 45s, one with Kim Foley producing! 

Interesting!  To my ears, on "The Beat Goes On," she sounds like she would rather be anywhere than singing this song with her Dad.

The opposite of Nat Adderley, Jr. with his Dad and Uncle!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The passage of time seems to be shifting towards the, yeah, Buddy was intense sometimes (LOL @ sometimes), but that one guy in particular poked the bear and he knew better side of things.

Truthfully, I don't care. His band, his rules. Some people handled, some didn't. You could always quit, or be fired, or just hang in there. His tenor players all seemed to hang around. 

7 minutes ago, JSngry said:

The passage of time seems to be shifting towards the, yeah, Buddy was intense sometimes (LOL @ sometimes), but that one guy in particular poked the bear and he knew better side of things.

Truthfully, I don't care. His band, his rules. Some people handled, some didn't. You could always quit, or be fired, or just hang in there. His tenor players all seemed to hang around. 

Yeah, I get that.  But the tour bus tapes seem to have penetrated pop culture beyond jazz circles.  Even the guy who made the tapes later pointed out that Buddy was right, if not exactly diplomatic.

As said, Moody, Montrose, Fontana,Noto worked steady there, but then the band went on a strike because some of the artistes were using tapes instead of live music.

Management stuck with the tapes, and that was another steady gig down the drain. I could tell a story or two about something that happened there, but we all know that what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas....

22 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I have an album by the Australian trombonist who made the Buddy tapes. good player.

• 2 weeks later...

looking at those guys credits, some well-known like Carl Fontana or Harry Edison, some less so, possibly because they spent too much time in the Vegas scene led to this album which is apparently another self-produced Las Vegas affair... Another fine album by a Las Vegas band is Woody Herman's Jackpot

NS05NzA3LmpwZWc.jpeg

On 7/28/2023 at 6:41 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

Yeah, I get that.  But the tour bus tapes seem to have penetrated pop culture beyond jazz circles.  Even the guy who made the tapes later pointed out that Buddy was right, if not exactly diplomatic.

On 7/28/2023 at 7:01 PM, JSngry said:

Seinfeld! 

I thought it was known, at least around here, that the episode where George gets himself hired by the Yankees by "doing the opposite" has lines lifted directly from "the tapes" in the scene where he stands up to the jerks sitting behind him and his date at the movies.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2023 at 1:06 PM, cliffpeterson said:

There are all the small group recordings, produced by Woofy Productions, made by musicians that lived in Las Vegas or made a living in Las Vegas, e.g., Arno Marsh, Carl Fontana, with their friends at Capozzoli's in Las Vegas:

https://www.discogs.com/label/1460539-Woofy-Productions-Inc

https://www.discogs.com/label/1030442-Capozzolis

I've had a listen to the first volume of the Carl Fontana and Arno Marsh record, and this series seems to be the motherload for Vegas jazz, in an informal small group setting. Clearly a small circle that jammed together frequently.

Do you rate any of them in particular?

9 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I've had a listen to the first volume of the Carl Fontana and Arno Marsh record, and this series seems to be the motherload for Vegas jazz, in an informal small group setting. Clearly a small circle that jammed together frequently.

Do you rate any of them in particular?

43823750hw.jpg

Like that 10 CD box very much

re: Jazzcorner's post of august 29th-I believe the Royal Palms Inn in which those recordings were made is in Scottsdale Arizona, not Las Vegas, NV. Has it happens Bob Lorenz, the owner of Woofy, evidently lived in Phoenix, AZ, which is a short distance from the Royal Palms Inn.  He filmed those Royal Palm concerts, sold dvds and some are on YouTube.