Country rock recommendations

Milestones

I've never been a big fan of country, but I do like a good deal of country rock.  I am thinking of things like The Basement Tapes by Dylan/The Band, much of John Fogerty and CCR, The Allman Brothers Band, "Act Naturally" by The Beatles, some Neil Young, some Byrds, etc.

I am not so much into country artists adopting a rock sound.

I have been re-creating music and playlists on a new computer and would appreciate recommendations.

Thanks!

I suppose Gram Parsons' music might be called country-rock. (He called it "Cosmic American music.")  His two solo albums, GP and Grievous Angel, are essential listening, imo. I also love his work with the Byrds, the Flying Burrito Brothers, and the International Submarine Band.

That said, Parsons' music comes down more on the country side than the rock side.  Based on your description above, it might be too much country.  Give it a whirl and see what you think.

Edited by HutchFan

28 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

The Jayhawks!!

definitely. Also Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt.

Truck Stop Love (from Manhattan, KS), Split Lip Rayfield (from Wichita, KS), and Frontier Trust (from Omaha, NE) were favorites in this regard as well. Grew up around this scene and was fond of it, and some of that music still holds up.

less rock, more country, and beautiful at that: Freakwater.

I guess I don't really need to get into the Byrds, David Crosby, or the Dead, but... it's there if you want it. Ditto GP, Burritos, and International Submarine Band (great).

7 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

definitely. Also Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt.

Yes and Yes, so pleased to see them mentioned. Love Jay Farrar's work, such a shame he never comes to the UK. Son Volt's recent Doug Sahm tribute is a killer. And of course, let's add Doug Sahm to the playlist too

Edited by mjazzg

Not sure whether this will make me unpopular here, but the Stones' had their country rock period. I like those albums a lot. Obviously, less soul than the US real deal, but making up for it by being brattier. Crucially, they did have the songs. 

Also, don't miss Gene Clark's No Other, which has been bubbling up through reissues and algorithmic recommendations for a while now.

Absolute favourite country rock song is this Gram Parson / FBB outtake:

I think originally a Merle Haggard track.

Edited by Rabshakeh

57 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

And "El Paso." Some of those got very interesting.

No solo ever from Jerry but amazing picking 

fwiw not my favorite song:)

of all the country covers, Big River is often the hottest. Second Garcia solo usually blows the roof off

Peggy-O might fit as well / the 1977-78 versions are often incredible

50 minutes ago, Milestones said:

I am intrigued by The Jayhawks, including their backing of Ray Davies on some recent albums.

My wife discovered The Jayhawks way back when she was in college in the early 90’s at the University of Kansas.

Being that KU’s mascot was the Jayhawk, the band name naturally caught her eye — and I don’t think she knew they were from Minneapolis (with seemingly no connection to Kansas) until after she’d bought a couple of their CD’s.

We’ve got tickets to see The Jayhawks for the very first time — here in DC, in September — and she’s planning to wear a KU Jayhawk t-shirt when we go!

30 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

My wife discovered The Jayhawks way back when she was in college in the early 90’s at the University of Kansas.

Being that KU’s mascot was the Jayhawk, the band name naturally caught her eye — and I don’t think she knew they were from Minneapolis (with seemingly no connection to Kansas) until after she’d bought a couple of their CD’s.

We’ve got tickets to see The Jayhawks for the very first time — here in DC, in September — and she’s planning to wear a KU Jayhawk t-shirt when we go!

yeah, there was reciprocity between KU and the UofM (and maybe other state colleges too) so back in the day you could pay state tuition if you were from either locale. I knew a fair amount of Minnesotans in college at KU and ran into a bunch of fellow Kansans later on during a short stay in Minneapolis. Beyond that, jayhawkers as an anti-slavery militia probably caught their interest. Saw 'em several times in the 90s and early 00s, both in Lawrence and Minneapolis.

ask 'em to play "Jesus In The Driver's Seat" and see if they still know it...