Tom Williams RIP

Kevin Bresnahan

I've read on Facebook that trumpeter Tom Williams died unexpectedly a few weeks back. I am lucky to have seen Tom play several times as a sideman and he could blow that horn. I am pretty sure one of those times was with Jimmy Heath. I can only assume that the main reason we didn't hear from him much is because he chose to stay in his native area of Baltimore.

He only had two releases as a leader, "Introducing" (1992) & "Straight Street" (1994), both on Criss Cross. He plays on a couple of Jimmy Heath's CDs too.

image.jpeg.01430c6c9f013bbc733d40bc48426efa.jpeg

I didn't find this thread earlier today during my initial search but worth linking to:

Edited by bresna

This is one of the better obits I've read about a jazz musician: https://washingtoncitypaper.com/article/620396/swing-beat-the-late-great-tom-williams/ It's clear the author knew the man. It sounds like the DC area lost a great guy as well as a great trumpeter.

This obit references a duel Williams had with Jon Faddis in Lyons, France in 1996. Video sucks, but the music lives on:

Edited by bresna

Obviously a great trumpet player. Sure one I would have liked to meet and play with, from all you tell me about him. 

The situation with good good trumpet players over here in Europe was not so great when I was young, now we are blessed with many talents.

If he chose to stay in his hometown, what was the reason, did he teach ? Without teaching I doubt many jazz musicians today could survive....