Harold Land - The Peace Maker

Pim

I am pleased to see this reissue! A nice counterweight to the Blue Note albums of Hutcherson/Land. The feel is a bit different, the overall style is slightly more conservative and Land is a bit more in the spotlight. This album has gotten quite expensive; cheapest copy of any version is $60 at Discogs. (I got my Japanese LP for 2500 Yen - 20 USD - from Hiroshi Tanno back in the day).

I also have the Japanese CD version (UCCU-3059).  I had no idea that it had gotten so rare.   I don't recall if I had made a special order (at one point was collecting most Bobby Hutcherson and then Harold Land albums), or it just happened to be in at Dusty Groove on a day I was there.  Or it might have been something in between where I was tipped off and looking for it, but I'm pretty sure I didn't do a special order to Japan for this.

Nonetheless, it's been ages since I've listened to it, so I shall correct that today...

This isn’t quite on topic, but close…

I very recently picked up the two Land/Hutcherson 1971 Mainstream dates, New Shade of Blue and Chroma (Burn) — and I have to say they are both just marvelous. AND, the CD of New Shade even had a 9-minute bonus track (a Mainstream date over 50 minutes long? — unprecedented!!).

In fact, I was really blown away by both these dates — which I found both to be FAR superior to Land’s one other Mainstream date, Damisi — which didn’t include Hutcherson.

I first heard Damisi 15+ years ago, wasn’t impressed — so I never pursued the other two. But I’m damn glad I finally picked them up just a couple months ago.

Back on topic, I don’t have Peace Maker — but have streamed it a number of times over the years.  It’s ‘nice’ — but I remember it being  (mostly?) more placid than almost all the other Land/Hutcherson collaborations.  I probably would have snagged one years ago if I’d ever had the chance for $10 or $12 — but I’ve only ever seen it for $25 or more, which for a disc that’s less than 35 minutes (and a kinda sleepier one at that), I just couldn’t bring myself to pay top dollar for.

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

This isn’t quite on topic, but close…

I very recently picked up the two Land/Hutcherson 1971 Mainstream dates, New Shade of Blue and Chroma (Burn) — and I have to say they are both just marvelous. AND, the CD of New Shade even had a 9-minute bonus track (a Mainstream date over 50 minutes long? — unprecedented!!).

In fact, I was really blown away by both these dates — which I found both to be FAR superior to Land’s one other Mainstream date, Damisi — which didn’t include Hutcherson.

I first heard Damisi 15+ years ago, wasn’t impressed — so I never pursued the other two. But I’m damn glad I finally picked them up just a couple months ago.

Back on topic, I don’t have Peace Maker — but have streamed it a number of times over the years.  It’s ‘nice’ — but I remember it being  (mostly?) more placid than almost all the other Land/Hutcherson collaborations.  I probably would have snagged one years ago if I’d ever had the chance for $10 or $12 — but I’ve only ever seen it for $25 or more, which for a disc that’s less than 35 minutes (and a kinda sleepier one at that), I just couldn’t bring myself to pay top dollar for.

Mainstream had a number of extra cuts from various sessions that they stuck on two compilation albums back in the 70's - 'Jazz' and 'Booty'.  Those albums were easy to find in cutout and used bins for years in the 70's/80's.  That Land/Hutcherson extra cut appeared on 'Jazz'.  I have the Japanese 'Peace Maker' CD, no idea when or where I got it, but glad to have it.

3 hours ago, felser said:

Mainstream had a number of extra cuts from various sessions that they stuck on two compilation albums back in the 70's - 'Jazz' and 'Booty'.  Those albums were easy to find in cutout and used bins for years in the 70's/80's.  That Land/Hutcherson extra cut appeared on 'Jazz'.  I have the Japanese 'Peace Maker' CD, no idea when or where I got it, but glad to have it.

Knew about ‘Jazz’ — but sure never heard of ‘Booty’.

Jazz: https://www.discogs.com/release/4866277-Harold-Land-Bobby-Hutcherson-Blue-Mitchell-Joe-Sample-Stanley-Clarke-Freddy-Robinson-Hadley-Caliman-

Booty: https://www.discogs.com/release/2769483-Blue-Mitchell-Roy-Haynes-Charles-Kynard-Charles-Williams-Booty

Booty has one major thing to recommend it:

The unissued Charles Williams recording of Willow. While for some unknown reason they list the whole group from the issued LP, the fact is that it is a great performance from his core group, featuring Bubba Brooks and Don Pullen and no one else.

Its up on youtube for those interested.

5 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

The first one is on iTunes (and other sites?) as Cream of Jazz Funk

The other compilation  doesn't seem to be up, though some of the Mainstream albums (with these tracks are available) unless these were alternative versions.

• 4 months later...

Wow.  I had no idea that The Peace Maker was fetching that kind of money.  I found an original Cadet years ago -- not quite NM, probably VG+ -- for maybe 20 bucks.

I love all the music that Land & Hutcherson made together, including this album.

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

Had the original LP and noticing both that it had gotten to be a $150-$200 record in NM condition and that I couldn't deal with the harmonica track, I traded it. Agree that it's a more conservative date than the Blue Notes and less interesting than the Mainstream albums.

I was thinking of picking up the reissue - but your words here have raised my caution too. Not a great fan of harmonica either, especially in a Hutcherson/Land context. What next...banjo?

14 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I was thinking of picking up the reissue - but your words here have raised my caution too. Not a great fan of harmonica either, especially in a Hutcherson/Land context. What next...banjo?

@sidewinder, I'd recommend giving it a stream before making any decisions.  I think it's a darn good record.  

OTOH, I love Bluegrass -- so I think BANJOs are terrific!  You've been warned.  :P  

1 minute ago, HutchFan said:

@sidewinder, I'd recommend giving it a stream before making any decisions.  I think it's a darn good record.  

OTOH, I love Bluegrass -- so I think BANJOs are terrific!  You've been warned.  :P  

Yeah, good point. I'll probably end up buying it.

The one banjo exception I have is that Clifford Jordan 'These Are Our Roots' on Atlantic. Surpasses expectations.

38 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I love the harmonica (or harp) and banjo, but not the former in this context. It's got that Toots Thielemans treacly sound, not a deep blues harp sound.

5 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Incredible - new to me too. Presumably Reggie Johnson on bass and Joe Chambers on drums but who is the pianist? Is that Hal Galper? Venue - Jazzhus Montmatre? (Carlsberg beer on tables).

I can't be certain, but the pianist does look like Hal Galper.