Epic Games Sells Bandcamp Amid Layoffs

rostasi

From the business synergies standpoint, Songtradr (what a stupid name) makes more sense than Epic Games.  

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

I don't know how much Bandcamp changed under the Epic ownership. Any takers on this notion?

I am using bandcamp a lot, and I have not noticed any changes since Epic acquisition. Well, the staff unionized.

One of the reasons it was sold after merely 18 months might have been that Epic Games had no clue what to do with bandcamp.   

Edited by Д.Д.

With all due respect, I don't believe the situation is as ominous as the OP might have you think.

From the same source

Bandcamp’s new owner is the music marketing company Songtradr, which, according to its blog on the acquisition, will “continue to operate Bandcamp as a marketplace and music community with an artist-first revenue share.”

Songtradr, which describes itself as a music licensing platform and marketplace company, framed the acquisition as an opportunity for Bandcamp artists to secure licensing deals ...

For now, I'll be cautiously optimistic that things will be okay and perhaps even better in the future. And don't forget, next Friday (Oct. 6) is Bandcamp Friday. Go buy something and support an artist.

Edited by sonnymax

Hey kids, is it Bandcamp Friday yet?

YES-final.gif

Support your favorite artists.

On 10/4/2023 at 1:16 PM, bresna said:

Maybe all of these money moves are why my bandcamp streams have started sounding terrible lately? I'm talking about recordings I bought from them too. I'm glad I took the time to download my music files because if I had planned to stream them, I'd be pretty disappointed.

This has been the case for years. While you can purchase and download in flac, wav, etc., the same files stream at 128kbps, the same bitrate typically used for streaming music on high-end platforms such as Apple Music and Spotify. 

Edited by sonnymax

26 minutes ago, sonnymax said:

This has been the case for years. While you can purchase and download in flac, wav, etc., the same files stream at 128kbps, the same bitrate typically used for streaming music on high-end platforms such as Apple Music and Spotify. 

I've streamed my bandcamp purchases at work for several years now but recently, there are audible flaws that seem to indicate that they've switched to an even lower bitrate stream. I'm talking swooshy cymbals and harsh highs in spots. I never noticed them before but maybe they were always there and I just never listened for them?

BTW - if everyone hasn't picked it up yet, you should be sure to buy "Kimbrough" from Newvelle Records on Bandcamp. There's a whole lot of great music in this download.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven’t been following any of this very closely, but here are some recent developments I just ran across on Reddit…

Better source:

https://www.vulture.com/article/epic-games-bandcamp-sale-layoffs.html

Reddit post where I saw it (with about 90 comments of discussion):

https://reddit.com/r/BandCamp/s/VyrhagB7pa

And from another Reddit post:

8voaqub7hpub1.jpg

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Concerning. I do believe some artists and labels will be pulling content from the platform though I assume it will still exist.

Reminds me that I need to download much of what I've purchased digitally through Bandcamp.

I am less and less satisfied with the platform overall but part of it is because of the absolute deluge of emails.