Chris Botti - Vol. 1 (Blue Note)

Kevin Bresnahan

Chris Botti - yes that Chris Botti - is about to release his debut recording for Blue Note, titled "Vol. 1". I gave a listen to a couple of the songs they are streaming and it really is a jazz album, not a smooth jazz album. I've always admired Botti's trumpet playing but was never a big fan of a lot of the music he chose to surround that beautiful trumpet sound with. Here, he uses a small backing band and sticks to ballads throughout, which has always been where he shines, even if it was usually layered in electronics. I pre-ordered the vinyl and I'm hoping the rest of the tracks are on par with the two I've heard.

41JqQpk5OxL._SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.webp.eadbf76aa9af5cf406487808f699cbe1.webp

The other track being sampled out in the digital world is a vocal track (the sole vocal track?), which I don't think is as good as "Old Folks", especially as it has some syrupy, swirling strings which border on smooth but yet again... not really, if you know what I mean. Like I said, I'll give it a try. It can't hurt.

If you're interested in a pre-order, I think today is the last day of the sale at the Blue Note website. I actually ordered the D2C colored vinyl with a signed cover because
"why not" - it's the same price as the "regular" vinyl. :)

1 hour ago, Ken Dryden said:

I think I will pass on this release. There are plenty of trumpeters around that are more deserving of my time.

Yep, life is too short and the other list is too long.  And, what, am I going to dig into the back catalog?  😁

That's true, but you never know.

My main problem with Botti has always been it's fake jazzness. Either play jazz or don't. Botti's records aren't even really smooth jazz. Those records are to acoustic jazz what the Disney castle is to Al Kerak: technically a castle in form only.

But his playing itself is fine. On other people's records he's someone to listen out for with interest, even if not necessarily the highest expectations.

Edited by Rabshakeh

I've listened to several of his CDs over the years and his trumpet playing is really good. I can't really fault any musician for going for the money, to be honest, especially if they can do it while playing the way they want and can block out all of the other stuff going on around them. The syrupy string stuff just gets old quickly. I play his Christmas CD during the holidays quite a bit when even syrupy strings/synth washes go a long way to a relaxing evening.

A friend of mine is a huge fan. He sees him every time he plays in Boston. And he has almost every one of his releases so I've heard most of them. I like them better than almost any smooth jazz release but I have to be in the right mood to listen. This new one will probably get played at dinner time. Dinner Jazz is a thing in my house. I'm not going to play Masada when I'm eating some Chicken Marsala and sipping a nice Cab. Play this new one? Sure.

Sometimes when I listen to Botti, I wonder if this would be how Miles would play if he were still alive and able to lift a horn. Botti has made a mint playing this way. Miles never had a problem with that.

BTW - I have an unreleased Bob Belden session that he made for a Miami dance club that I've named "Karu" because it's the name of the opening track. If you ever heard this cold, you would likely never guess it was Bob's band. It's dance music. I think it's great and I play it all the time. I have it filed under "Electronic" not "Jazz" because that's how I hear it.

Jazz isn't the only music I listen to. Never has been and likely never will be.

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

The records are pretty ersatz though, whether he can play or not.

It depends on where the music is entering your ear. The ear has many angles of entry, with just as many final destinations to match. 

Try the Jack Sheldon/Don Sebesky records on Dot. 

• 2 weeks later...