Listening to Recorded Music

Milestones

9 hours ago, Milestones said:

image.png.d4c7297e8ad1cab75b5038068a6d390f.png

None of these apply.

My CD listening time is constrained; I am most likely to hear a new one in the car and then its straight thru but constrained by length of trip;

Haven't borrowed a CD from the library in 25 years (maybe more).

D/Ls sit on the hard drive and ultimately get extracted to a thumb drive and listened to in the car - usually on longer trips and straight thru;

Streaming I do with decent quality youtube and then only stream from one PC to another for recording via Goldwave. At that point it joins with other D/Ls on the thumb that stays mostly in the car.

I often buy CD's in batches to save on shipping, so it can take me a while to get to them, but I play the whole disc if it's one I'm going to keep (I will bail on some cheap used ones which were musical "lottery tickets" if I decide I'll be movng it along).  Streaming, I am generally just going to youtube for a single track I am in the mood to hear, or to sample something specific I haven't heard and am curious about.  I don't borrow discs from the library (outmoded by streaming) and don't pay for downloads (have bought, I think, three downloads ever).

39 minutes ago, Milestones said:

The ultimate point that these days we tend to access a great deal of music that we don't listen to (or only partially listen to).

This does not describe me.  I hear everything I purchase on CD eventually and D/Ls too.

20 minutes ago, felser said:

I don't borrow discs from the library (outmoded by streaming) and don't pay for downloads (have bought, I think, three downloads ever).

Not that you should change but I have found downloads to be budget savers for reasonable priced access to OOP items from:

Black & Blue label;

Arbors label;

I will still buy a CD thru Amazon Marketplace if reasonably priced/conditioned but often on the aforementioned labels, it's hard to find a reasonably priced CD, or a CD copy at all.

1 hour ago, Milestones said:

The ultimate point that these days we tend to access a great deal of music that we don't listen to (or only partially listen to).

Access is different from buying.
Access, as a verb, also refers to the process of examination,
so, yes, I'll very definitely partially listen to all kinds of things -
especially when arranging a radio program - 
or in order to decide if I want to finally buy it.
Kinda like sampling vinyl in a store or off a cassette that
someone's given you, but on a much grander scale.
I'll stream thru something completely if it's engaging enough -
and that happens quite often these days - especially these days!
So yeah, access? That's an absolutely great thing!

Edited by rostasi

2 hours ago, Milestones said:

We all have different experiences.

I recall buying LPs and CD's and feeling that rush as I'd spin them and listen with full attention.  That's a rare thing anymore.

See, I can do that with anything that I really want to listen to.

Yep.  

And early this year I lost a big chunk of music, so it has actually been fun to re-acquire albums and actually listen to some stuff I had ignored for a decade or more.

But to pursue another aspect, I found that several people said they do not borrow from libraries.  I have found public and college libraries to be an absolute treasure trove for jazz (and other) music.  

For most of my life (so not just “these days”),
I’ve had access to a large number of books
from various local libraries … tho, I have to say,
I’ve never felt the need to comment on the fact
that I’ve not read most of them. It’s kind of a given.

Edited by rostasi

I try to listen to every new cd I buy at least twice before shelving it.  Nowadays I often listen to a cd I've just bought via streaming services while I work out (stationary bike) at the Y while listening through over the ear head phones which I've learned to love.