Cat Ownership Linked to Increased Schizophrenia Risk

I'm a big cat person, have had them my whole adult life. Our current cat is inches away from me right now.  She is like a dog in some ways, constantly hangs out with us, following us from room to room, lays in our laps all winter.  Also sleeps with us at night.  Thankful for her company.  And she's great with our five year old grandson, who lives with us!  We've never had a christmas tree disaster with any of ours.  I used to have a cat with silver/grey fur, and she would lie underneath an old aluminum Christmas tree I had (actually still have it, but haven't put it up in years since the house got more occupied), and change colors along with the tree when the color wheel was running.  

I haven't read this, but cats do figure widely in the literature of mental illness.

Phobia of cats is also a recognised thing and is closely linked to post-partum depression. My late grandma could not be in the same room or area as a cat.

From the reactions above, I'm pretty sure that this is not what the article is about, though.

Postpartum depression and schizophrenia come from different areas.
I could understand someone being in a depressive state needing the
high activity of a dog, for instance, to keep their mind busy instead of
the more introspective state of a cat, but it is widely known that both
cats and dogs provide various mental health benefits. People who have
cats tend to mention that their furry friends are great companions,
have a calming effect, and help ease stress and anxiety. On the flip side,
dog owners are likely to say that their pets motivate them to get up and
be active. Maybe they were trying to say that trying to understand cats
could lead to schizophrenia! 🤪

Edited by rostasi

I grew up with cats and have had them in every home we've owned, so that's thirty three plus years of having anywhere from one to six cats. We're at four now and I doubt we'll add any more, they tend to live fifteen years or more, with a couple of exceptions.

They are entertaining and good company, though they aren't allowed in my music library, two floors above where they live.