What music did you buy today?

tonym

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Just now finished listening to the first cut.  You're right.  It's fantastic.

I love this band with Stenson, Jormin, and Hart.  I have All My Relations and The Call.  But I'd never gotten 'round to Canto.  Glad I finally got it.  ;) 

Good to hear it hit the spot

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lingered too long on CDJapan, and ordered the following:

CDSOL-6739.jpg?v=1

SGJZ-1033.jpg?v=1

Arnett Cobb 3-CD set: Funky Butt, The Wild Man From Texas, and Again With Milt Buckner

SGJZ-1015.jpg?v=1

Abdullah Ibrahim 3-CD set: African Sketchbook, Zimbabwe, and Good News from Africa

SGJZ-1035.jpg?v=1

Another Abdullah Ibrahim 3-CD set: Mindiff, African River, and Yalona

SGJZ-1039.jpg?v=1

O'Donel Levy 3-CD set: Black Velvet, Windows, and Dawn of a New Day 

UCCQ-9203.jpg?v=1

SHM-CD version

With a special they're currently running, with shipping it all came to about $90.  Not bad.

2 hours ago, mjzee said:

I lingered too long on CDJapan, and ordered the following:

CDSOL-6739.jpg?v=1

SGJZ-1033.jpg?v=1

Arnett Cobb 3-CD set: Funky Butt, The Wild Man From Texas, and Again With Milt Buckner

SGJZ-1015.jpg?v=1

Abdullah Ibrahim 3-CD set: African Sketchbook, Zimbabwe, and Good News from Africa

SGJZ-1035.jpg?v=1

Another Abdullah Ibrahim 3-CD set: Mindiff, African River, and Yalona

SGJZ-1039.jpg?v=1

O'Donel Levy 3-CD set: Black Velvet, Windows, and Dawn of a New Day

SHM-CD version

With a special they're currently running, with shipping it all came to about $90.  Not bad.

I had a cart full of those upcoming Kevin Gray mastered CDs but then I looked at my music library and realized I have all of them in at least one digital iteration with some of them on more than one digital release. I'm done chasing the next best sounding CD. More for the rest of you. :)

2 hours ago, bresna said:

I'm done chasing the next best sounding CD. More for the rest of you. :)

Agreed.  To my ears, they had figured out optimal digital remastering by the late 90's, so any remaster from then or later generally suffices for me.  I will sometimes upgrade for packaging or bonus tracks.

5 minutes ago, Pim said:

IMG-5419.jpg

IMG-5418.jpg

Got some money for my birthday from my family in law so time for an order from my favorite Japanese vendor. With 17 dollars a piece including shipping it was a good haul again that arrived with only 4 days. I’m happy :)

Nice haul Pim. Who's the seller?

I didn't have any money from relations but still managed to order

A 1959 issue of Brubeck's 'Time Out'. Just the cover design alone is worth the entry price but I love the music

An original press of Mingus 'Tonight At Noon' because I'm on such a big Mingus trip at the moment and for the same reason

Dannie Richmond Quartet - Ode to Mingus which I've really been surprised by and enjoying through streaming this holiday.

All from UK sellers so no Brexit-tax issues

18 minutes ago, Pim said:

Got some money for my birthday from my family in law so time for an order from my favorite Japanese vendor. With 17 dollars a piece including shipping it was a good haul again that arrived with only 4 days. I’m happy :)

Outstanding!  :tup

That Cannonball LP with Wynton Kelly is one of his very best, imo.

8 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

A 1959 issue of Brubeck's 'Time Out'. Just the cover design alone is worth the entry price but I love the music

An original press of Mingus 'Tonight At Noon' because I'm on such a big Mingus trip at the moment and for the same reason

Dannie Richmond Quartet - Ode to Mingus which I've really been surprised by and enjoying through streaming this holiday.

Three gems!  

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Nice haul Pim. Who's the seller?

I didn't have any money from relations but still managed to order

All from UK sellers so no Brexit-tax issues

RecordcityJP.

Nice original presses you scored. I don’t think I even own 1 original pressing. Would love to hear one :) enjoy!

57 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Outstanding!  :tup

That Cannonball LP with Wynton Kelly is one of his very best, imo.

Definitely! Love the opener especially but this was also one of my first jazz cds so fond memories! A damaged OJC digipack that really got me into Cannonball. 

On 12/30/2023 at 11:07 PM, JSngry said:

MTAtNDIxNy5qcGVn.jpeg

Mi0zOTIyLmpwZWc.jpeg

That Willie Bryant collection i recently got as well (i ended 2023 with four Earl Hines Soli albums, Dinah, Plays Gershwin (Swaggie), Tribute to Louis and Plays Ellington)

Bought a while back, arrived today. Unusual Japanese discs, purchased used from US discogs.

OTMtOTMzMS5qcGVn.jpeg

Motohiko Hino w. Masahiko Satoh and others

MzctNDg4NC5wbmc.jpeg

Weird Takayanagi with bass and percussion

NjAtNzI5Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

Aketagawa trio w. some alto sax and (add'l) vocals

Edited by T.D.