Robert Rusch RIP

cliffpeterson

I'd have suggested Misc. Music myself.

Complicated person and history, but an important contributor in documenting the music and its players, thru the labels he founded and the interviews he published.  And pre-Internet, Cadence was an important distributor/source of music I couldn't get at Sam Goody's.  

There can be art in anything, including creating, designing, and sustaining a "magazine". So the placement of the thread is correct imo.

What I've heard about the man's "complicated" behavior is not at all complicated, it's quite repulsive. But that is the artist, not the art. Hopefully. 

10 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I remember in 1975 or 76 he called me and challenged me to convince him that Anthony Braxton wasn't "complete bullshit".

What kind of reviews was Cadence giving him then? And who were the reviewers? 

What I remember is the fact that I had to spend an inordinate amount of time convincing him that our little record store was not only interested in buying things from his distribution catalog, but that we could actually sell them. He stated that he didn’t want to “saturate” the market in my area (LOL!), but when I asked him what other stores in the area he was already dealing with, he never could come up with anything.

I wrote for Cadence near the beginning of my sideline as a jazz journalist. I appreciated Bob Rusch giving me the opportunity but I was exasperated at some of his quirks, like holding reviews for six months or more, while restricting regular contributors voting best of the year releases to the titles reviewed in Cadence during that year, while the editor could choose any release for his list. The miserly compensation ($2-$4 in trade credit, even for a large boxed set, was also a reason that I finally gave up contributing to them. I didn’t know about his troublesome past until reading it in this discussion board awhile back.

Edited by Ken Dryden

I'm not as plugged in as you guys, and I must have missed discussion here about his behavior, but Cadence was an absolute formative influence on my listening two/three decades ago, and bought a lot of music by mail order from him.  

He must have gotten over his antipathy to Anthony Braxton since Braxton is on a number of CIMP releases. I don't recall reading anything negative about Braxton in the years I read Cadence. 

Update: Just searched the archives and GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Edited by Hoppy T. Frog

7 hours ago, Hoppy T. Frog said:

He must have gotten over his antipathy to Anthony Braxton since Braxton is on a number of CIMP releases. I don't recall reading anything negative about Braxton in the years I read Cadence.

Chuck is very convincing.

FWIW it seems like the operations of Cadence/CadNor have been handed over for awhile, so especially now I don't think that one would have to feel like they're lining his pockets by purchasing from there. Still a one of a kind resource.

https://www.kyokokitamura.com/the-case-of-robert-bob-rusch/

I am thankful for Cadence and all the things that the label and magazine did, and he was the founder. He was also a very good writer and in later years he championed my writing. That felt like real validation, since I never knew or met him.

He was also a very fucked up individual. It would not shock me at all if he was abused as a young person, but I do not know.  I feel empathy towards those whose lives he wrecked. I think one can hold the truths of his accomplishments and his terrible actions at the same time.

13 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

https://www.kyokokitamura.com/the-case-of-robert-bob-rusch/

I am thankful for Cadence and all the things that the label and magazine did, and he was the founder. He was also a very good writer and in later years he championed my writing. That felt like real validation, since I never knew or met him.

He was also a very fucked up individual. It would not shock me at all if he was abused as a young person, but I do not know.  I feel empathy towards those whose lives he wrecked. I think one can hold the truths of his accomplishments and his terrible actions at the same time.

[Emphasis added] Good points, +1 on closing paragraph

1 hour ago, colinmce said:

FWIW it seems like the operations of Cadence/CadNor have been handed over for awhile, so especially now I don't think that one would have to feel like they're lining his pockets by purchasing from there. Still a one of a kind resource.

Recently bought a DIW CD from them. Guess I don't have to feel guilty.

3 hours ago, colinmce said:

Agreed. Someone on the board (inclined to say Chuck but memory fails) reassured me on that front at least a couple of years ago.