Bandcamp Friday

I bought a ticket (three tickets, actually) to take the Motown Museum tour and bought a $30.00 James Jameson t-shirt in the gift shop, which got me a free copy of Barry Gordy's autobiography). If you're just a tourist, hey, serves you right, but if you know some of the details about what you're seeing, it's money well spent, believe me. I was moved to almost-tears when entering The Snakepit. Good god....

I hope that Claire Daly has done something similar, or else is planing on it. Those records, hell, that music in general) is at least as fundamentally American as the so-called "Great American Songbook".

14 hours ago, JSngry said:

I bought a ticket (three tickets, actually) to take the Motown Museum tour and bought a $30.00 James Jameson t-shirt in the gift shop, which got me a free copy of Barry Gordy's autobiography). If you're just a tourist, hey, serves you right, but if you know some of the details about what you're seeing, it's money well spent, believe me. I was moved to almost-tears when entering The Snakepit. Good god....

I hope that Claire Daly has done something similar, or else is planing on it. Those records, hell, that music in general) is at least as fundamentally American as the so-called "Great American Songbook".

Just seeing EVD’s Hammond was nearly a religious experience. We almost didn’t get tickets as the tours are small. Thankfully some folks didn’t show for theirs and an alert employee let us know. Excellent site and tour. It would be my #1 draw for that entire city that I’d rec to anyone. 

Searching for Jazz vinyl and I tripped on this one... sexual innuendo has been a part of the blues canon since the beginning but there's not much subtlety here - unless you count the cover shot. :)

https://ebalunga.bandcamp.com/album/my-pussy-belongs-to-daddy

After listening to some samples, I'm going to give this a shot - https://wojtekmazolewskiquintet-whirlwind.bandcamp.com/album/spirit-to-all

1 hour ago, Eric said:

Nice - which Bud Powell if I may ask?

The Birdland 1953 set. It’s 3 CDs but I did digital only. 

Forgot to mention I also picked up the Sonny Stitt Acid Jazz & Kynard’s Afro-Disiac. Those Prestige sets are pretty cheap and give good reason to comb thru my OJCs and sell em off. 

3 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

The Birdland 1953 set. It’s 3 CDs but I did digital only. 

Forgot to mention I also picked up the Sonny Stitt Acid Jazz & Kynard’s Afro-Disiac. Those Prestige sets are pretty cheap and give good reason to comb thru my OJCs and sell em off. 

I wonder "Bandcamp Friday" works with downloads like these? I highly doubt that Stitt's estate gets anything from it.

2 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I wonder "Bandcamp Friday" works with downloads like these? I highly doubt that Stitt's estate gets anything from it.

The relevant Bandcamp page says Concord Music Group so I guess that's where the money goes, no different to other formats it's been released on.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have any US-based forum members ever purchased from Storyville on Bandcamp? Currency is in DKK, which is good against the dollar, but wondering if this material is available elsewhere? They've got some interesting archive releases. Any recs on standout sets? 

I believe I have gotten Storyville dates thru Amazon at a price point of about $15 with Prime shipping.

There is too much to recommend but I would start with the Buddy Tate live recording that was the source for "Now's The Time" on my January BFT.

Edit to say:

In 2023 price points a little closer to $17 and in addition to the above, I purchased

Dexter Gordon, Copenhagen Coda

Mulgrew Miller, Solo in Barcelona

both of which I would also recommend.

Edited by Dan Gould

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

I believe I have gotten Storyville dates thru Amazon at a price point of about $15 with Prime shipping.

There is too much to recommend but I would start with the Buddy Tate live recording that was the source for "Now's The Time" on my January BFT.

Edit to say:

In 2023 price points a little closer to $17 and in addition to the above, I purchased

Dexter Gordon, Copenhagen Coda

Mulgrew Miller, Solo in Barcelona

both of which I would also recommend.

Great. Thank you