Grant Green: Live At Keystone Korner August 1975 in San Francisco

monkboughtlunch

2 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

Green, as most of you probably know, was living in Detroit in the '70s.

Yet the writer has Green as a "respected figure in NY ever since ..." which I take it to mean he was unaware that he had moved to Detroit some years before this gig. (Although, I guess, " ... ever since" could refer to the ongoing respect for Green in NYC after he established himself there.)

On 2/19/2024 at 12:44 AM, bertrand said:

A good chance this was recorded, as were most Keystone gigs.

Who recorded them?

On 2/13/2024 at 1:46 PM, Dub Modal said:

The writer’s annoyance at the whistle is hilarious 

The writer isn't wrong.  😀 The whistle on the 1975 Oil Can Harry's date is cringeworthy.  

In fact, it would be a perfect use case for modern de-mixing technology.  Digitally remove the whistle on two-track pre-FM mix-downs of live Grant Green recordings.  It would be kind of a public service -- like removing Yoko Ono screaming over John Lennon and Chuck Berry on the Dick Cavett Show.  😁

2 hours ago, monkboughtlunch said:

Who recorded them?

The writer isn't wrong.  😀 The whistle on the 1975 Oil Can Harry's date is cringeworthy.  

In fact, it would be a perfect use case for modern de-mixing technology.  Digitally remove the whistle on two-track pre-FM mix-downs of live Grant Green recordings.  It would be kind of a public service -- like removing Yoko Ono screaming over John Lennon and Chuck Berry on the Dick Cavett Show.  😁

I don't think either of those would be a legit use of de-mixing, they meant to do that whether you like it or not.  Just as taking the electric saw off that one track on Lee Morgan's last album was bogus, regardless of how you feel about musical saws.  However, it would be legit to take the screaming idiot in the audience off of Elvis C at the Elmo.

On 2/22/2024 at 1:24 AM, monkboughtlunch said:

Who recorded them?

Todd Barkan recorded a lot of Keystone shows and some have been released. It is a situation similar to Left Bank, no list as far as I know and perhaps no succession plan for tape ownership.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2024 at 7:32 AM, bertrand said:

Todd Barkan recorded a lot of Keystone shows and some have been released. It is a situation similar to Left Bank, no list as far as I know and perhaps no succession plan for tape ownership.

Has anyone asked Mr. Barkan if Grant Green was recorded at Keystone Korner?

2 hours ago, monkboughtlunch said:

Has anyone asked Mr. Barkan if Grant Green was recorded at Keystone Korner?

I've seen a couple of lists of recordings from the Keystone Korner. There was no Grant Green on those lists. I can ask when I play there in a couple of weeks. 

12 hours ago, david weiss said:

I've seen a couple of lists of recordings from the Keystone Korner. There was no Grant Green on those lists. I can ask when I play there in a couple of weeks. 

Is there an action plan for the future or is it another Left Bank kinda deal?