Record Store Day - April 2024

Brad

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

Whoever the genius is who decided to make the Nat King Cole Live At The Blue Note Chicago CD set a limited edition of 5000 has evidently created a firestorm of speculators snapping up every copy for resale. I was planning on buying it online at 8 am ET when it was first available, but got up early and then fell back asleep. All of the usual sellers had no stock by the time I awakened again at 9:15 am, it took awhile to find a copy anywhere. I already spotted some obvious resellers asking prices of $50 or more.

I don’t know if you bought it but this retailer has it for $26.

https://parkavecds.com/UPC/784300321613

The people over at SH are pretty helpful because they post retailers who have items. 

Edited by Brad

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 2/17/2024 at 12:34 PM, jazzbo said:

Ruth Price's presence will likely not be a bad thing! Her Contemporary LP with Manne and His Men is quite good, and her album with Johnny Smith is excellent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Price

On the second disk from 1966 with the Penthouse broadcasts, Ruth adds a vocal to the short 3rd track of each broadcast. Works well !  As mentioned in the booklet, she was also a good friend of Manne and helped him to scout out the location of the Manne-Hole club.

On 4/21/2024 at 8:57 AM, Ken Dryden said:

Whoever the genius is who decided to make the Nat King Cole Live At The Blue Note Chicago CD set a limited edition of 5000 has evidently created a firestorm of speculators snapping up every copy for resale. I was planning on buying it online at 8 am ET when it was first available, but got up early and then fell back asleep. All of the usual sellers had no stock by the time I awakened again at 9:15 am, it took awhile to find a copy anywhere. I already spotted some obvious resellers asking prices of $50 or more.

Those speculators are about to be disappointed, because both the LP and the CD set are already up for preorder at the official Nat King Cole website with a street date of May 31:

https://natkingcole.com/pages/shop

The two chanting tracks on the Sun Ra CD set quickly grew tiresome, it might be more fun to witness that in person, but I would rather have music on a CD. Of course, that may have been all that was available and useable from that show. I

I would rate them all as outstanding and worth buying if you are a fan of the artists.

1 hour ago, Ken Dryden said:

I would rate them all as outstanding and worth buying if you are a fan of the artists.

But if, for example, you prefer earlier Cannonball?

I haven't ordered anything but the Shelly Manne is closest to being sooner rather than later.

18 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Those releases are the ones that I'm looking to get too.  :tup

I picked up the LPs of Waldron/Lacy, Lateef, and Adderley Poppin' in Paris.  That's what i could afford currently.  I was standing next to someone at the store (Canterbury Records in Pasadena) who picked up a copy of the Nat King Cole, and another person standing there said "I worked on that; thank you for picking it up."  I didn't ask more questions, but there it is.  I'll get others on CD someday if I get them.

Tried to play Lateef and my turntable wouldn't work, so more to deal with...

12 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

But if, for example, you prefer earlier Cannonball?

I haven't ordered anything but the Shelly Manne is closest to being sooner rather than later.

I like the 1969 set better than the 1972. George Duke is a great musician, but he's on electric piano for the whole show, which gets old. Fender Rhodes has never been one of my favorite instruments, too often an artist's touch is compromised with the mushy sound.

On 4/21/2024 at 3:49 PM, sidewinder said:

On the second disk from 1966 with the Penthouse broadcasts, Ruth adds a vocal to the short 3rd track of each broadcast. Works well !  As mentioned in the booklet, she was also a good friend of Manne and helped him to scout out the location of the Manne-Hole club.

Isn't Ruth Price the owner of The Jazz Bakery in Los Angeles?

2 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

Isn't Ruth Price the owner of The Jazz Bakery in Los Angeles?

Yes - she was (not sure if it is still going). In fact I saw her mc-ing there on a few of my visits to that venue when located at Helms Ave and even doing a vocal, although can't remember who with. She is interviewed in the booklet.

Edited by sidewinder

Whatever happened to Feldman's gig with Blue Note? What came out of that:

1) Lee Morgan Lighthouse

2) Blakey Just Coolin'

3) Blakey in Tokyo

Anything else? I could use some more Lee Morgan since that seemed to be his focus per the above list.

It would be great if he could rescue the Grant Green/John Patton and the Duke Pearson Big Band Left Bank tapes from wherever Sunnenblick at Uptown was hiding them, but I have pretty much given up.

18 hours ago, Adam said:

Tried to play Lateef and my turntable wouldn't work, so more to deal with...

Ugh.  Sorry to hear that.  :(  Hopefully, it'll be a quick fix.

I actually think I'm going to get these RSD releases on CD.  I love vinyl too.  But the RSD CDs are less expensive.  (Most of the vinyl that I buy is used.)

Occasionally, I'll plop for a new LP if it's the only option -- like last year's RSD reissue of Black Renaissance - Body, Mind, Spirit.  I also have a few Pure Pleasure LPs in my collection that aren't available in any digital format. 

Edited by HutchFan

2 hours ago, Brad said:

According to Discogs, it was [f]ounded in 2012 as a partnership between American producer Zev Feldman and Spanish producer Jordi Soley.” That’s the only info I’ve been been able to find. 

That is correct. He discussed working with Jordi in the Zoom interview I did a few weeks ago.

I just got the new Downbeat and I felt the article about Zev Feldman was edited down for space too much, it deserved more.

Picked up straggler LP copies of two of the Sun Ra's (Elemental Chicago concerts plus the Strut) so that is me done for this year.

The store also had a second hand copy of David Meeker's 'Jazz in the Movies' book so added that one too.

All of the stores I visited seem to have sold their copies of the Bill Evans on Craft in super fast time.

Edited by sidewinder