Live McCoy Tyner and Woody Shaw CD's

felser

4 minutes ago, T.D. said:

No, that one was on Soul Note. That cover, though puzzling, has always made me laugh because the woman pictured surely looks like a streetwalker.  

OC0xMDY4LmpwZWc.jpeg

Yeah, that's it and even back in the 80s I thought it was crass.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both look very interesting and I'll see about getting them through Dusty Groove.  The bassist Neil Swason on the Shaw date is surely Neil Swainson, which makes this an even more compelling pick-up.  He's been playing a fair bit locally these past few months, and I expect to see him this Wed. at the Rex and maybe again at the very end of the month.

30 minutes ago, T.D. said:

The plot thickens, because according to the always reliable Wikipedia nobody named Marie-José van der Laan was ever crowned Miss Holland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Nederland

There might be a separate Miss Holland, as opposed to Miss Netherland. Like Miss America and Miss USA.

Or maybe it all a bunch of thuggery. 

Ok, reading the back of the LP closer still, it says that she's Miss Holland (WABBA), which turns out to indeed be a body building organization: https://www.wabbainternational.com/

Todd Barkan, please explain? 

Thanks. I can't f**g read, but otherwise I may not have totally lost my mind. 🙄I thought she looked like a bodybuilder.

Per Wiki The national [non-bodybuilder] beauty pageant was called "Miss Holland" from 1950 until 1990.

Edited by T.D.

11 minutes ago, JSngry said:

But it says that she's a vitality coach! 

That, maybe good genetics, plus the health benefits of all that bodybuilding (which often involved collateral PED juicing 🤣).

Probably is her. If so, kudos.

On 3/11/2024 at 8:53 PM, ejp626 said:

Both look very interesting and I'll see about getting them through Dusty Groove.  The bassist Neil Swason on the Shaw date is surely Neil Swainson, which makes this an even more compelling pick-up.  He's been playing a fair bit locally these past few months, and I expect to see him this Wed. at the Rex and maybe again at the very end of the month.

Neil confirms it is him.  He was playing with Woody Shaw on that tour.  He had no idea about this release and isn't getting paid anything.  It's probably legal (a radio broadcast or something), but it isn't right.  Anyway, he knows about it now and get in touch with them if he chooses.

3 hours ago, ejp626 said:

Neil confirms it is him.  He was playing with Woody Shaw on that tour.  He had no idea about this release and isn't getting paid anything.  It's probably legal (a radio broadcast or something), but it isn't right.  Anyway, he knows about it now and get in touch with them if he chooses.

Sometimes it makes me wonder, that musicians wouldn't check their credits via sites like Discogs (even if puting only his name into Google Neil Swainson's Discogs listing comes up quickly) regurarly .....

5 hours ago, soulpope said:

Sometimes it makes me wonder, that musicians wouldn't check their credits via sites like Discogs (even if puting only his name into Google Neil Swainson's Discogs listing comes up quickly) regurarly .....

Yes, I was thinking the same earlier today when I was correcting one Discogs entry that had a lot of data wrong (including the album title!). The musicians should have some interest in how the record of their legacy is maintained online and Discogs, whether you like it or not, is the reference discography database.