Doug Watkins - An Unfinished Journey - by Steve Siegel (Jazz Profiles)

There are many reasons why jazz artists who have left large footprints in the sands of artistic achievement have been forgotten as the winds of time fill in those footprints.  One such artist is bassist Doug Watkins.  
During his relatively short career (1954-1962) it is indisputable that he was a great talent, recognized by both his peers as well as the informed jazz public. We cannot point to any singular career decision or unusual circumstance that might have led to Watkins' current relative anonymity but looking back over the 62 years since his passing, clues do exist... 

https://jazzprofiles.blogspot.com/2024/03/doug-watkins-unfinished-journey-by.html

Mike and I are in agreement in that we like Doug Watkins more than Paul Chambers.

Here is my brief story about the time I met Doug Watkins.

I spent a year and a half in Germany while a member of the U.S. Army. In 1958 I had a leave and traveled to Paris. Donald Byrd and Bobby Jaspar had a quintet at a club on the Left Bank. The rhythm section included  Walter Davis,Jr., Doug Watkins, and Art Taylor. I went to the club to hear that group. In between sets I spent a bit of time sitting at a table and talking with Doug Watkins and also, as I recall Art Taylor. Doug seemed to enjoy having a chance to speak to an American jazz fan from his home town of Detroit.  Unfortunately, as that was so very long ago, I can't remember what we actually spoke about during that brief time together. 

After leaving the Army and returning home to Detroit, I was very saddened when I learned a couple of years later that Doug Watkins had died in an auto accident. Thankfully, I have the recordings of that Byrd-Jaspar Quintet in Paris which brings back happy memories of the time I heard the group (with Doug Watkins) in Paris.

Hi Peter,

That is a great story. Primarily because there are so few people still around who have any first- hand stories to share about Doug. I was very lucky to be able to interview Louis Hayes for the story. It added a great deal about who Doug was as a person.

Peter, thanks for sharing that with all of us who appreciate the enormous talent that Doug possessed.  Steve Siegel

many thanks Elmo

particularly enjoyed Steve Swallow's recollections

7 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Mike and I are in agreement in that we like Doug Watkins more than Paul Chambers.

Here is my brief story about the time I met Doug Watkins.

I spent a year and a half in Germany while a member of the U.S. Army. In 1958 I had a leave and traveled to Paris. Donald Byrd and Bobby Jaspar had a quintet at a club on the Left Bank. The rhythm section included  Walter Davis,Jr., Doug Watkins, and Art Taylor. I went to the club to hear that group. In between sets I spent a bit of time sitting at a table and talking with Doug Watkins and also, as I recall Art Taylor. Doug seemed to enjoy having a chance to speak to an American jazz fan from his home town of Detroit.  Unfortunately, as that was so very long ago, I can't remember what we actually spoke about during that brief time together. 

After leaving the Army and returning home to Detroit, I was very saddened when I learned a couple of years later that Doug Watkins had died in an auto accident. Thankfully, I have the recordings of that Byrd-Jaspar Quintet in Paris which brings back happy memories of the time I heard the group (with Doug Watkins) in Paris.

wonderful!! & thanks for sharing

7 minutes ago, AllenLowe said:

what a tragic story. I never knew how he died, and was hoping it was not the usual musician's drug trajectory story.

Now he's out there with Eddie Costa and Dave Lambert and Clifford Brown, just for starters.

Percy too unless that list is for those in a car at the time.

On 3/28/2024 at 10:17 AM, AllenLowe said:

what a tragic story. I never knew how he died, and was hoping it was not the usual musician's drug trajectory story.

Now he's out there with Eddie Costa and Dave Lambert and Clifford Brown, just for starters.

I guess that including Meade Lux Lewis would be a stretch, though he was killed by a drunk driver after a gig.

It was an enjoyable article, hanks for posting the link.

Sure, Doug Watkins was solid, but I heard much more bass virtuose solo from Chambers, who could play horn-like solos and he was my first idol when I started to play some bass, 50+some years ago.....
My first Doug Watkins hearing was on some Coltrane recordings with Wilbur Harden and when it comes to the bass solo spot, he just walked on like comping, didn´t play a "solo" so I was a bit disappointed. But let´s say, I might see it else now.