Is David Murray Still Around & Perfoming?

tranemonk

There was lots of griping at the time about his “productivity” but I am glad we have so many recordings of him

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

His most recent release 

https://www.discogs.com/master/3409174-John-Blum-David-Murray-Chad-Taylor-The-Recursive-Tree

His Discogs shows at least 4 releases since 2020. Definitely still active

There’s a new one forthcoming on Intakt in the next month or two

Release date May 17:

71TRnoEAeML._SL1500_.jpg

Tenor saxophonist David Murray, the giant of modern jazz, fuses all the great things that black music has produced: Gos- pel sounds, free jazz, Afro-Caribbean, blues, soul as well as the beautiful standards of classic jazz. Murray's colorful tone, unsurpassed intonation, sense of swing, melancholy tones, improvisational power and ingenuity make him one of the most important voices in music today. His new quartet, which mainly plays his own compositions, gives the three young musicians plenty of space. "Jazz legend David Murray is back with the next generation of geniuses", writes the Washington Post about the new quartet. And Derek Schilling writes in the liner notes to the fantastic album Francesca: "David Murray's compositional signature today lies in conjoning distinct styles whose encounter makes for the sound of surprise. The specific choice of these styles (and corresponding meters or textures) matters, for sure. More crucial still is the way Murray makes the transition from one to another seem natural, necessary even. If you can move with ease from funk to Latin rhythms, from waltz time to four-on-the-floor, from R&B to free and back again, it's because music knows no boundaries. When it's be- ing played right, it reaches beyond itself even as it affirms the continuity of tradition. The sound of surprise results when mu- sicians forge, in the moment, that unity-in-diversity. The real deal." A masterpiece!

The best Murray I ever heard was that fantastic trio , He, Henry Grimes and Hamid Drake, one of the greatest concerts I heard in the 2000´s . 

Yeah, in the 80´s he was so much around. Here in Austria he almost had a "Meldezettel" and Nickelsdorf Jazz Gallery and many many locals knew him personally. He was such a nice gentleman, not only the great musician he is.

54 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Here in Austria he almost had a "Meldezettel" and Nickelsdorf Jazz Gallery and many many locals knew him personally. He was such a nice gentleman, not only the great musician he is.

True 😇😎 .... 

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

The best Murray I ever heard was that fantastic trio , He, Henry Grimes and Hamid Drake, one of the greatest concerts I heard in the 2000´s . 

Yeah, in the 80´s he was so much around. Here in Austria he almost had a "Meldezettel" and Nickelsdorf Jazz Gallery and many many locals knew him personally. He was such a nice gentleman, not only the great musician he is.

There's a great CD of this trio - Live At The Kerava Jazz Festival.

On 4/20/2024 at 3:59 PM, Guy Berger said:

There was lots of griping at the time about his “productivity” but I am glad we have so many recordings of him

There’s a new one forthcoming on Intakt in the next month or two

Expected at DG "about May 15".

murray_davi_francesca_101b.jpg

I saw him with Luke and Ronnie Burrage in 2020 (lockdown Vision Festival -- masks on, few people 10+ feet apart) and it was phenomenal. I'd previously seen him with the Ethnic Heritage Ensemble and that was excellent also. Though I haven't heard all of them, I can't think of a David Murray album I've listened to that I haven't liked, so there's that.

On 4/20/2024 at 2:59 PM, Guy Berger said:

There was lots of griping at the time about his “productivity” but I am glad we have so many recordings of him.

Reminds me of walking into Euclid Records (STL) about 20 years ago —and among the CD’s they had sorta ‘on display’ up front was a David Murray disc with a thought-bubble post-it attached to it that said “This week’s new David Murray release!”.

I recall audibly LOL-ing. :lol: