Spoken word records, jazz

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I could never get that into them, but the Haki R. Madhubuti (Don L. Lee) albums certainly fit the bill. Forgot to mention these upthread:

https://www.discogs.com/release/4059278-Nation-Afrikan-Liberation-Art-Ensemble-Featuring-Haki-R-Madhubuti-Don-L-Lee-Rise-Vision-Comin

https://www.discogs.com/release/1274063-Haki-R-Madhubuti-Nation-Medasi

I thought Rise Vision Comin was the better of the two. Ended up trading them years ago, alas.

Joe McPhee's poetry is awesome. I will have to pick up a copy of that CD.

Having read Joseph Jarman's book published by Blank Forms, I should have mentioned him...

Going to see Joe McPhee in a spoken word concert this weekend, but don't know what is on the program.

Edited by T.D.

44 minutes ago, colinmce said:

I'm a big fan of this one, however for some reason or another I got rid of it at one point and it's not so easy to replace for the amount I bought it for the first time:

Primary

YES!!!!

1 hour ago, optatio said:

Murray-10 (Copy).JPG

Murray-11 (Copy).JPG

Murray - Williams Obi (Copy).jpg

Murray - Williams book1 (Copy).jpg

Murray - Williams book2 (Copy).jpg

David Murray feat. Saul Williams: Blues for Memo. Motéma MTMO256 [2018]

Saw them live at Theaterstübchen in Kassel near Göttingen November 20, 2018.

Bought CD and book, both signed!

That's a good album

On 5/13/2024 at 3:32 PM, T.D. said:

Having read Joseph Jarman's book published by Blank Forms, I should have mentioned him...

Going to see Joe McPhee in a spoken word concert this weekend, but don't know what is on the program.

We recorded that back in 1966.

Soul, Barbara Simmons with Jackie Mac & Grachan, et al

On this album Wm. Blake is set to new music since his music has been lost, sometimes it's sung and sometimes spoken.

And I have a cassette recording of me reading my Hank Mobley poem to the accompaniment of my friend Scot Fultz's band Straight No Filter, said poem published in the UK literary journal Fire, all rights reserved by yours truly.  as far as I know, it's not on the net.

No wonder he got a No Bell Prize!

On 5/16/2024 at 7:56 PM, danasgoodstuff said:

Soul, Barbara Simmons with Jackie Mac & Grachan, et al

Right, that McLean record is really good. Is Barbara Simmons the reciter actually the same Barbara Simmons who plays trumpet on an Ed Townsend record for Casablanca? Discogs says so but I am not actually sure.

42 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Right, that McLean record is really good. Is Barbara Simmons the reciter actually the same Barbara Simmons who plays trumpet on an Ed Townsend record for Casablanca? Discogs says so but I am not actually sure.

On the Townsend platter this is Barbara Simmons aka Barbara Donald .... always assumed that Barbara Simmons - whose work was published by Amiri Baraka - being a different person ....

5 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Interesting, but I have no idea.