Pim

As much as I agree with the choices above,
my heart still loves "For Alto." It made such a
profound impression on my 12 year old ears,
that I started playing alto within weeks of
buying that LP. I also included a track from
it on my first disc jockey audition tape
for my first radio show when I was 15.
It has definitely stayed with me ever since.

Edited by rostasi

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another vote for Steve Lacy ....  his solo Thelonious Monk introspections are treasurous .... btw witnessed with forum member "blacksaint" David Murray solo @ Jazzgalerie Nickelsdorf in the early 1980's, resulting in an unforgettable experience ....

That Golia LP is strong, yes. Maury Coles' Solo Saxophone Record on Onari is another good one.

I'm not sure how to categorize overdub fantasias like Mario Schiano and his All-Stars or Rahsaan's Natural Black Inventions: Root Strata, but they are solo records by people who play saxophones!

On 5/20/2024 at 5:53 PM, JSngry said:

It starts here:

And predated by "Hawk's Variations" Pt. 1 and Pt. 2 recorded by Coleman Hawkins as unaccompanied tenor solos for the Baronet label (probably in early 1945, according to some discographers).

56 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

And predated by "Hawk's Variations" Pt. 1 and Pt. 2 recorded by Coleman Hawkins as unaccompanied tenor solos for the Baronet label (probably in early 1945, according to some discographers).

Actually recorded for the Selmer label?

But yes, I had also forgotten about that one!

13 hours ago, JSngry said:

Actually recorded for the Selmer label?

But yes, I had also forgotten about that one!

As for Selmer, I don't know which was first - not even 100% so after reading the old thread from 2004 linked above. I know it was released on the French Selmer label but the Bruyninckx discography lists a Baronet release number first, so I assumed the recording was released in the US first and then adopted by Selmer for release on the French market.
Maybe I'll find a review of this record in my old copies of Jazz Hot that will provide further clues.

5 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

As for Selmer, I don't know which was first - not even 100% so after reading the old thread from 2004 linked above. I know it was released on the French Selmer label but the Bruyninckx discography lists a Baronet release number first, so I assumed the recording was released in the US first and then adopted by Selmer for release on the French market.
Maybe I'll find a review of this record in my old copies of Jazz Hot that will provide further clues.

It makes sense to me that the Selmer company would produce such a then-unusual record to promote their product. They were top-of-the line, but still had competition. So this was definitely a "prestige" product, the best player playing the best instrument.

Didn't Baronet end up owned by Savoy? Savoy never released it.

It's often described as "the rarest" Hawk item, so...would a Baronet record be that rare?

I wouldn't disagree abut Selmer. But it seemed surprising to me that this was first released in France and not in the USA. So I (apparently mistakenly) assumed that the US Baronet release listed in the Bruyninckx discography was the first one.

I don't think it was released as a commercial record for sale in record stores. It seems to have been a promo tool for Selmer saxophones. The Selmer factory was in Paris.

More details would be welcome, if there are any still around.

I am not so sure. The label shown further above with a catalog no. of Y 7129 looks like this number came out of an ongoing series. "Jazz - American Series" reads like this was a release series of masters originally recorded in the USA (there were PLENTY of labels in early post-war France - and certain other European countries - that thrived on such release practices).

Discogs shows these from that "Jazz-American Series" series (and their listing may well be incomplete):

https://www.discogs.com/label/1297501-Jazz-American-Series

And Discogs has this on the Selmer label as such:

https://www.discogs.com/label/391701-Selmer?page=1

I am not sure what "Série Medium" means for this label but it looks like one of several record series released in parallel.

BTW, I stand corrected (again ...) for the BARONET release of these tracks: According to Discogs this was a DANISH re-release following the Selmer release (on a label launched by BARON Timme Rosenkrantz - shouldn't we have guessed?):

https://www.discogs.com/release/20436736-Coleman-Hawkins-Hawks-Variations

I'll check my (complete) collection of Jazz Hot from that period to see if there is a review of Y-7129 somewhere but this will take time.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Of course.
And according to Discogs the Selmer RECORD label was related to Ducretet Thomson (distribution? Some other Selmer 78s had identical catalog numbers on both Selmer and Ducretet Thomson). And the same source says the Hawk Variations record was presed by Pathé Marconi.

Here you go: https://www.discogs.com/label/26613-Ducretet-Thomson?page=1

Ducretet was a scientific instrumentation company (responsible for early phonographs) and eventually partnered with Thomson, a large French communications corporation tied to GE. It appears to me that Ducretet Thomson, Selmer, and Pathé were linked in the production of phonograph discs. The Selmer version of this 78 is very cool-looking!

Edited by clifford_thornton
word choice

I'd love to hear who/how the first jazz solo saxophone recording came to be made. Who had the idea and how did they make it happen?

Surely Hawk was involved in the planning. He was just so ready!

And other than Hawk, there seems to have been no American involvement?

1 hour ago, Big Beat Steve said:

I'll check my (complete) collection of Jazz Hot from that period to see if there is a review of Y-7129 somewhere but this will take time.

Actually it didn't.
Looking for a Selmer ad in these mags with the exact typeface used on the record label (and figuring on the instruments) - their ads from 1946 had a plain sans-serif "SELMER" typeface - I randomly pulled out the September 1950 issue and found the below ad on page 2:47700169ka.jpg

Wondering if this ad might be intended as a plug for a Selmer product inside the mag I looked up the Record Reviews section, and lo and behold, there was the review of "Hawk's Variations"!
FWIW, here is what it says (translated relatively faithfully to stick to the tone of the French scribe - André Clergeat, it seems):

"This is certainly one of the most original records we have had the pleasure of reviewing for a long time. What we have here is an unaccompanied improvisation by Coleman Hawkins. This just about says enough about how this record is bound to unsettle most fans.
Provided our informations are correct, this recording was made by Moe Asch at the same time as the recording published by Norman Granz in his recent "Jazz Scene" album.
Coleman Hawkins had been longing for an opportunity to make an unaccompanied recording for quite some time, and this listening experience certainly is most interesting. The lack of a rhythm section does not detract in any way from the pleasure any admirer of the great saxophonist will derive from listening to this recording where his sumptuous sonority really comes into its own.
His improvisations develop into magnificent arabesques throughout both sides of the disc, and keen listeners will rapidly have imagined by themselves the rhythmic and hamronic accompaniment to go with this performance."

On a side note, this review is followed by a brief review of Selmer Y 7136 (not listed on Discogs; Erroll Garner  - The Man I Love/Don't Blame Me).

Edited by Big Beat Steve