How's the weather?

Not sure about that. It's not bad here but my wife was saying that parts of Barry (just a few miles west of Cardiff) are waist deep. She's gone to Cardiff to pick the kids up from school. Where's the smiley for great trepidation?

Just saw the pictures of Barry on the TV news. Pretty bad there.

Travel chaos nationwide by all accounts. Some of the rail lines out of London are under water !

Edited by sidewinder

Bad flooding in Central England today.

The forecast for the rest of July and August is brill.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/skynews/20070722/...ou-45dbed5.html

By Sky News SkyNews - 2 hours 43 minutes agoIt's wet, it is going to stay wet, and the outlook is . . . wet.

(Advertisement)

Sky's weather experts say flood-hit parts of Britain can look forward to more damp weather over the coming week.

Monday is likely to see heavy rain across the UK with sunshine and showers to follow.

Sky forecaster Denise Nurse said: "On Monday southern areas of England will be worst hit by some heavy showery rain.

"Tuesday should be a good day for everyone, a bit of break from the bad weather before Wednesday when another system from the Atlantic will bring fast moving, persistent rain for the whole country."

Worryingly, there is no sign of summer being just round the corner.

Earlier this weekend, the Met Office was predicting a chance of warmer weather in the coming weeks to coincide with the school summer holidays.

But even that is now in doubt.

"There were hopes for some high pressure for August which would have brought the temperatures up and brought some blue skies," said Denise.

"But that's increasingly doubtful."

Oh.

MG

It's a beautiful comfortable low 80s right now. We've been having upper 80s for highs w/low humidity for the past couple of days, and it's supposed to continue through next week, highly unusual for July. The birds are singing, the sun's shining...my o my what a wonderful day.

"There were hopes for some high pressure for August which would have brought the temperatures up and brought some blue skies," said Denise.

"But that's increasingly doubtful."

I've now written this Summer off. :rmad:

Me too. I knew April & May were too good - and we had builders in the garden practically the whole time, because the rear wall, which props up the neighbour's house, started leaning over.

MG

I think we've got off lightly though. Those pictures of Tewkesbury are a shocker. And water supplies now under threat both there, Gloucester, Worcester and Cheltenham. Something of a national emergency bubbling under with all this rescue and recovery work.

Looks like the Thames Valley will be hit again during the week too. Maidenhead, look out..

And I don't even want to think of what it will do to the insurance premiums next year. :ph34r:

Edited by sidewinder

The weather's been nice here, but due to the heavy rains "upstream" from us, they are having to release water from the lakes that are our main water supply here. So the rivers here continue to flood, and anyone living near the rivers have problems.

We are also supposed to be boiling our water prior to drinking it, in order to avoid ecoli and other fun stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Fuck... it's supposed to be in the neighborhood of 100 for most of this week. Fortunately I spend most of the day in air-conditioned spaces. I walk to work at 6:45 AM, so normally the walk isn't bad, but it could get nasty this week. SS1, how the hell do you survive summers in Arizona?

Still, I'm glad that there isn't much of that nasty NE humidity down here. At least so far.

Guy

Out my way it's cooled down to a nice way cool 95 degrees.

I was thinking of taking out the sweaters.

*tsk*

I registered 98 yesterday, but the paper said it was 100. I don't have any asphalt in the yard, could be the difference. It's supposed to be 100-101 this week, until Friday. It's hottern fucking shit, turned on the ac yesterday at 2 PM, mostly do with fans.

Fuck... it's supposed to be in the neighborhood of 100 for most of this week. Fortunately I spend most of the day in air-conditioned spaces. I walk to work at 6:45 AM, so normally the walk isn't bad, but it could get nasty this week. SS1, how the hell do you survive summers in Arizona?

Still, I'm glad that there isn't much of that nasty NE humidity down here. At least so far.

Guy

Lots of AC and staying inside

Thankfully the afternoon rain shower cooled things off yesterday, it was blistering before that. Not quite as hot today but they're calling for it to be in the upper 90's for the rest of the week.

Glad the swimming pool is only 20 paces from the back door....

We're entering our monsoon season, with lots of afternoon rain showers. Nice, because we can always use a little more water, but a drag because the increased humidity renders the evaporative cooling system in our house (the "swamp cooler") completely useless.

It's enough to spark our annual debate about possibly converting to refrigerated air...

We're entering our monsoon season, with lots of afternoon rain showers. Nice, because we can always use a little more water, but a drag because the increased humidity renders the evaporative cooling system in our house (the "swamp cooler") completely useless.

It's enough to spark our annual debate about possibly converting to refrigerated air...

:blink:post-5057-1186423538.gif

From our good friends at Wikipedia:

Evaporative coolers (also called air, swamp, or desert coolers) are cooling devices which use simple evaporation of water in air. They differ from refrigeration or absorption air conditioning, which use the vapor-compression or absorption refrigeration cycles. In the U.S., small-scale evaporative coolers are called swamp coolers by some users due to the humid air conditions produced. The name sump cooler is also used. Air washers and wet cooling towers utilize the same principles as evaporative coolers, but are optimized for purposes other than air cooling.

Evaporative cooling is especially well suited for climates where the air is hot and humidity is low. For example, in the U.S., the western/mountain states are good locations, with swamp coolers very prevalent in cities like Denver, Salt Lake City, Albuquerque, and Phoenix, where sufficient water is available; in Australia, evaporative air conditioning is popular in Perth. In dry climates, the installation and operating cost of an evaporative cooler can be much lower than refigerative air conditioning, often by 80% or so. But evaporative cooling and vapor-compression air conditioning are sometimes used in combination to yield optimal performance. Some evaporative coolers may also serve as humidifiers in the heating season.

evapcool.jpg

From our good friends at Wikipedia:

Evaporative coolers (also called air, swamp, or desert coolers) are cooling devices which use simple evaporation of water in air. They differ from refrigeration or absorption air conditioning, which use the vapor-compression or absorption refrigeration cycles. In the U.S., small-scale evaporative coolers are called swamp coolers by some users due to the humid air conditions produced. The name sump cooler is also used. Air washers and wet cooling towers utilize the same principles as evaporative coolers, but are optimized for purposes other than air cooling.

Evaporative cooling is especially well suited for climates where the air is hot and humidity is low. For example, in the U.S., the western/mountain states are good locations, with swamp coolers very prevalent in cities like Denver, Salt Lake City, Albuquerque, and Phoenix, where sufficient water is available; in Australia, evaporative air conditioning is popular in Perth. In dry climates, the installation and operating cost of an evaporative cooler can be much lower than refigerative air conditioning, often by 80% or so. But evaporative cooling and vapor-compression air conditioning are sometimes used in combination to yield optimal performance. Some evaporative coolers may also serve as humidifiers in the heating season.

evapcool.jpg

Did I ask? :) Far be it for me to ask a question before doing research on my own. I already got an asshole, don't need another one ripped.