• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

gonzal_denn_witness~~_101b.jpg

WITNESS - daagnim records

Dennis Gonzalez with Prince Lasha (and various ensembles)

A very cool record from 1980s Dallas, with an avant, hand-crafted vibe. Our very own Jim Sangrey is handling the tenor sax duties!

That looks very interesting indeed. I really enjoy Gonzalez in every context I've come across. The Silkhearts were some of my earliest Jazz purchases

Edited by mjazzg

At any rate, this cover looks VERY much like a later pressing to me, particularly that centered STEREO typeface at the top looks looks VERY 60s-ish (or even 70s)..

The original LP number was UJLP 1201 and the cover shown here ...

http://www.popsike.com/COLEMAN-HAWKINS-ACCENT-ON-TENOR-SAX-URANIA-UJLP-1201-OG/140651071950.html

... looks much more like a 50s cover.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder. Might as well spin the LP later myelf. ;)

What throws me off is that this newer "STEREO" pressing shows all the signs of being old itself. It has a deep groove. So if it's a later pressing, I'm thinking it's still late 50s or very early 60s.

Could the LP be from old stock and placed in a newer cover?

At any rate, this cover looks VERY much like a later pressing to me, particularly that centered STEREO typeface at the top looks looks VERY 60s-ish (or even 70s)..

The original LP number was UJLP 1201 and the cover shown here ...

http://www.popsike.com/COLEMAN-HAWKINS-ACCENT-ON-TENOR-SAX-URANIA-UJLP-1201-OG/140651071950.html

... looks much more like a 50s cover.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder. Might as well spin the LP later myelf. ;)

What throws me off is that this newer "STEREO" pressing shows all the signs of being old itself. It has a deep groove. So if it's a later pressing, I'm thinking it's still late 50s or very early 60s.

I think that the time period for DG pressings is variable, depending on the plant doing the pressings. I have a 1964 Earl Grant LP (UK Brunswick) which is DG. And my 1966 copy (UK again) of Jackie Ivory's 'Soul discovery' is also DG.

Though maybe the UK's plants weren't 'upgraded' until later.

MG

Tuohi Klang "penselmann hits" (UFO, Finland). Killer 1972 album with Edward Vesala on drums.

Splendid choice!

The "Nunnu" album on Blue Master Special, which features the same musicians (plus Juhani Aaltonen, Heikki Sarmanto, etc.), is another great one from the same period.

You know I think that's the one album from this vintage I still need with Vesala! Have pretty much everything else(nana, I'm here, hot lotta, ode to Marilyn, etc) but one day I'll have to get "nunnu" as well. I have heard it though and it is a nice enough album...

360158681753.jpg

Ray Warleigh--------Reverie-------( Vinyl )UK pressing

Really very nice session with a tougher than ECM type feel. It's not exactly a swinger nor is quite a fjordic as most ECMs. John Taylor is mercurial as ever.I've a small handful of Vinyl Record releases this one is a UK pressing the others I think are German. Fine release all round. Don't think it's been reissued.

360158681753.jpg

Ray Warleigh--------Reverie-------( Vinyl )UK pressing

Really very nice session with a tougher than ECM type feel. It's not exactly a swinger nor is quite a fjordic as most ECMs. John Taylor is mercurial as ever.I've a small handful of Vinyl Record releases this one is a UK pressing the others I think are German. Fine release all round. Don't think it's been reissued.

I have that one from around the time of issue.

291176467705.jpg

298 BRIDGE ST - Ken Werner Sextett - Werner (p), Joe Lovano (ts, fl, musette), Billy Drewes (ts, ss, as), Bill de Arrango (g), Ratso Harris (b), Tom Rainey (d). 1981. AMF Records.

An interesting obscurity. Might make a good BFT.

would totally grab this if I saw it in the bins for a reasonable price, and in nice shape. Thanks for the tip.

291176467705.jpg

298 BRIDGE ST - Ken Werner Sextett - Werner (p), Joe Lovano (ts, fl, musette), Billy Drewes (ts, ss, as), Bill de Arrango (g), Ratso Harris (b), Tom Rainey (d). 1981. AMF Records.

would totally grab this if I saw it in the bins for a reasonable price, and in nice shape. Thanks for the tip.

Yeah, it was totally news to me when I came across it in a bin for the easy- to- deal- with price of $10. Prices seem all over for this one.

I'd like to hear this one. It looks interesting.

There's a song on Side 2, "Ballad for Paul Motion [sic], which gives you an idea of the aesthetic direction of the album. It would not be out of place if released today, and quite surprising for a 1981 release.