• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 14.8.2022 at 0:37 PM, sidewinder said:

lee-morgan-the-rajah-blue-note-2021-cove

Tone Poet version. Trounces the old French DMM copy and also the (better) Toshiba CD by some distance. Lovely issue.

Fine as the ‘Classic’ series is, the Tone Poets are worth the extra.

One can also hear the fine arranging hand of Cal Massey in both sessions.

I remember I bought it really really long time ago, there were some BN-sessions that originally was in the vaults or rejected or who knows what...., they had some ugly- non typic BN covers (CD´s), all the same layout, I think another one was some Jackie McLean "Tippin the Scales". 

I think the Cal Massey arrangement or composition was something with a strange title, something with an animal farm and really the intro sounds like some animals on a farm, at least my wife said so and she even liked it because of that.....

But in general, there are much better Morgan sessions, and it also has some sad feeling for me, since I think it was the last time Paul Chambers played on a BN session, it was late in his short live and he was near to death and you can hear it by his relative weak sound and solo. 

A tragedy when you think he was the most famous and most  recorded bassist in the 50´s and early 60s. 

I have not listened to it for more than 20 years and am not sure where I have placed it, I think it was not in my separate box with BN recordings, I´m quite lousy in collecting due to lack of time. 

10 hours ago, HutchFan said:

LTUzNjguanBlZw.jpeg

and

MC0zNTE1LmpwZWc.jpeg

Too bad I missed the chance to see the comback of the MJQ live. Though I´m not the biggest fan of it, especially if it goes to much into classical influences which I don´t really like, I like the early albums for BN and Prestige. 
They played "together again" on a 3 days Jazz festival from friday to sunday, but I was in the Army and got only a day off on saturday, so I just arrived on friday evening when Miles started his set, heard all the music from sunday but had to be back on Sunday, so I missed things like MJQ and Libration Orchestra.....

Lee Konitz doin´ "Oleo" might be interesting, I don´t have very much Konitz, one is the Prestige stuff with Miles as co-leader, I think one of Miles from Roost 48 with Konitz replacing Bird, and one 1977 Konitz Nonet which is very fine and has a superb rhythm section. I think it was on Roulette. 
Oleo sure is fine, but I would miss a drummer......

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Too bad I missed the chance to see the comback of the MJQ live. Though I´m not the biggest fan of it, especially if it goes to much into classical influences which I don´t really like, I like the early albums for BN and Prestige. 
They played "together again" on a 3 days Jazz festival from friday to sunday, but I was in the Army and got only a day off on saturday, so I just arrived on friday evening when Miles started his set, heard all the music from sunday but had to be back on Sunday, so I missed things like MJQ and Libration Orchestra.....

I now regret that I passed up the opportunity of seeing the MJQ. When I was young they, together with the Brubeck quartet, had a massive appeal to people who didn't like Bird, Diz, Bud and Monk, so for for me they weren't cool. As for the Brubeck quartet with Desmond, they came here so often, I just couldn't avoid them and ended up seeing them three times in three different cities! 

Fortunately, the Ellington band came just as often and I was there every time! :)

52 minutes ago, BillF said:

I now regret that I passed up the opportunity of seeing the MJQ. When I was young they, together with the Brubeck quartet, had a massive appeal to people who didn't like Bird, Diz, Bud and Monk, so for for me they weren't cool. As for the Brubeck quartet with Desmond, they came here so often, I just couldn't avoid them and ended up seeing them three times in three different cities! 

Fortunately, the Ellington band came just as often and I was there every time! :)

In my youth or better said in my surroundings and fellow musicians it was else: 

Maybe the MJQ sounded else after they left BN and Prestige and got a more classical approach, but though they choose a more relaxed and more silent way to play than Diz and Bird , they all were real "cats", they formed the rhythm-section of the Dizzy Gillespie Big Band, they all played with Bird, and minus Lewis who was a fine pianist himself, all played and recorded with Monk and Bud. 

So I got to at least some of the earlier records of the MJQ through Diz, Bird, Monk. And don´t forget that fine stuff Sonny Rollins did with them also for Prestige. 

With Brubeck it was another thing. I really didn´t get to know one single music lover from the people I hang around  or  played with, who said "yeah, I dig Brubeck", and at least I learned it was another kind of society who liked Brubeck. And when by coincident one of those, maybe a school teacher who heard I go into jazz (when I started to listen to Mingus, Miles, Trane , Rollins etc. ) told me to check out Brubeck because he is GREAT, he is TOP, he borrowed me an album and despite the fact that I didn´t like the cover picture (this Brubeck looked to me like a secondary school headmaster from the early 60´s, completly "unhip"), I expected if he so "hot" as they say let´s spin it, and.....

even my mother (born 1921) somehow heard it through my room and came in. She was not educated to jazz but when I would spin  Mingus´ "Meditations", Ornette´s  "Lonley Woman" she said that´s really great deep music , but when she heard "this" Brubeck she said "WHAT´s THAT KITSCH ? I thought you hear good music like "your" Mingus and so on, but this is NOTHING !".

So even my oldish mother didn´t like it.....

And I never could change my mind.... you can say it´s my fault, but I can´t do it....

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Lee Konitz doin´ "Oleo" might be interesting, I don´t have very much Konitz, one is the Prestige stuff with Miles as co-leader, I think one of Miles from Roost 48 with Konitz replacing Bird, and one 1977 Konitz Nonet which is very fine and has a superb rhythm section. I think it was on Roulette. 
Oleo sure is fine, but I would miss a drummer......

It's a gentle but occasionally acerbic set. I like Lee from that period, drummer or no drummer.

7 hours ago, BillF said:

Nearest I got was standing right next to John Lewis doing his solo piano / Paris tribute suite thing. Wonderful. Sadly, never saw Bags or the MJQ. I remember their mid-70s ‘retirement’.

For a current day feel of how the MJQ sounded, Nat Steele’s ‘Tribute to the MJQ’ performances give a pretty good idea. Excellent player.

Edited by sidewinder

I remember Peter Jennings announcing on ABC news the passing of Milt Jackson. They did a brief obit for him that included snippets of his live playing. At the time I didn’t listen to jazz and didn’t know who Milt was but for whatever reason that segment stuck with me. Decades later when I finally came around to this music, Bags and the MJQ were some of the first albums I checked out. 

6 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

It's a gentle but occasionally acerbic set. I like Lee from that period, drummer or no drummer.

Me too.  

I was hoping Oleo would be in the same league as the Milestones albums from around that time: Peacemeal, Spirits, and (most especially) Satori.   

IMO, the Sonet set doesn't quite reach the level of those.  But it's still prime LK.