Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elvin Jones, discs 5-8

195.jpg

TM, the first four discs were very interesting, and I'm glad I have them, but I'm not sure I'll play them very often. Right now, I'm enjoying the session with Jan Hammer and Chick Corea on disc 5. Throughout this set, of course, Elvin is a MONSTER. :tup

Actually--and don't take this the wrong way--I'm a bit surprised that a Wynton fan would be such a big fan of this set. :rolleyes:

208.jpg

Well, I've been listening to this all day - now on the last handful of trax. Surprisingly, I don't feel I've overdosed on Sonny. I used to have two of the LPs that make up this box - sold them in 1970. Over the last 36 years, I've either got much more into Stitt, or I was wanting my music in 1970 to be a lot more funkified; probably both.

Sonny's style always makes me think of the economist John Kenneth Galbraith, whose opponents described his style as "dangerously easy to read". I think Sonny is dangerously easy to listen to.

I thought I was just buying this box for the Don Patterson tracks but I've found myself enjoying everything - and occasionally being knocked out by some tracks - even ones I had before like "Mother Tucker". What a good day!

And I've not yet started on the Cousin Joe box! That'll have to wait until tomorrow.

MG

Very funny.... :beee::beee: You'd be surpised by how "enlightened some of Wynton fans can be.... :cool::cool::P

Elvin Jones, discs 5-8

195.jpg

TM, the first four discs were very interesting, and I'm glad I have them, but I'm not sure I'll play them very often. Right now, I'm enjoying the session with Jan Hammer and Chick Corea on disc 5. Throughout this set, of course, Elvin is a MONSTER. :tup

Actually--and don't take this the wrong way--I'm a bit surprised that a Wynton fan would be such a big fan of this set. :rolleyes:

Immensely enjoying CD2 of the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis - I absolutely love the live dates! Disc 1 is great as well, but disc 4 and 5 are not that good, in my opinion. They're good, don't get me wrong, but they lack the live and immediate quality of the live dates - the opening track of CD2 is terrific (as is, by the way, the opening track of CD1).

Sarah Vaughn Disc 3... on random play.. <_<<_<

Ironically this is making me want to listen to the Anita O'Day set more....(probably tomorrow on the way to work.... :tup:tup:tup )

I've just not been able to get into Sassy... When she does a song straight... it's wonderful... but she was so prone to oversinging it.... (and winging it...) I know some of this board LOVE this set.... It's just got too many misses for me... and not enough hits....

Ironically this is making me want to listen to the Anita O'Day set more....(probably tomorrow on the way to work.... :tup:tup:tup )

I've just not been able to get into Sassy... When she does a song straight... it's wonderful... but she was so prone to oversinging it.... (and winging it...) I know some of this board LOVE this set.... It's just got too many misses for me... and not enough hits....

It wasn't her best period, the Roulette stuff, but there are treasures in the set. She did better with Mercury, and I'm fond of her later Pablo stuff, especially the Ellington Song Books.

Big Happy Birthday, by the way, to Michael Cuscuna, who turned 58 on Wednesday!

thanks ... I had always wondered about that...

It wasn't her best period, the Roulette stuff, but there are treasures in the set. She did better with Mercury, and I'm fond of her later Pablo stuff, especially the Ellington Song Books.

Big Happy Birthday, by the way, to Michael Cuscuna, who turned 58 on Wednesday!