What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Makes me "homesick" for our annual summer jaunts to Michigan--last time Brenda & I were up there was Sept. 2005 to see Organissimo in Douglas.

Swung by Bear's Place tonight on my way back from house-sitting for some friends & caught tenor saxophonist Michael Eaton's farewell gig with local quartet Art Deco. Really, really good musician who's moving to NYC--and I think he has a shot at sticking on the scene there. Lots of late-Trane in his sound & hard, melodic swing. My friend Morgan Price, an alto saxophonist (also very good), is going with him. The great & the sad thing about Bloomington; lots of talented, cool people come through for a few years, and then move on.

Edited by ghost of miles

Sonny Rollins tomorrow night.

Attended an interesting live discussion / interview with Sonny & A.B. Spellman earlier today. Pretty interesting.

How was the show...how was Bobby Broom?

m~

The show was fine. Sonny is still pretty energetic. The tunes were nothing revolutionary.

Broom was the other interesting musician in the group.

Cranshaw is O.K., but he doesn't really have anything to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Zorn, Dr. Chadbourne and Duck Baker at the Stone last night.. It was great, it's been a while since I've heard live free improv.

Then we drove down to New Brunswick, NJ to hear local legends Lunar Bear Ensemble with Martin Atkins (PIL). That was pretty wild.

Edited by 7/4

The Stone, earlier this evening...

8 and 10 pm - New Directions in Appalachian Music

Eugene Chadbourne (acoustic guitar and banjo, vocals) Barry Mitterhof (mandolin) Paul Elwood (banjo) Tatsuya Nakatani (percussion) Leslie Ross (bassoon); Groups functioning under this title use the traditional "oldtime music" songbook as raw material for improvisation.

Edited by 7/4

Jon Faddis w/Moody, Rubalcaba on Tuesday night @ the Harris Theater, Bobby Broom Trio on Wednesday night @ Pete Millers, Herbie Hancock @ Symphony Center followed by the Dana Hall Quartet @ the Velvet Lounge Thursday night and the Chicago Jazz Fest....Friday through Sunday....with at least one afterfest show per night....not gonna get much sleep for the balance of this week!

m~

Just got back from seeing Diana Krall with opening act Chris Botti. A rainy night at Red Rocks. Shit, it poured...not so much during Botti's hour long set, but before Diana got going, it started with a pretty steady drizzle. Not cold at all, about 68 degrees.

I really dig Chris Botti's tone, but hate the bands he plays with, including tonight's band. Yes, Billy Kilson could play the drums very fast, especially his cymbals, but it had no soul...I dug the slow ballads. The second song was a take on Miles'/Evans' " Flamenco Sketches." It was great at the beginning and all during Botti's solo, but then his guitarist started up, and they doubled the tempo...ick...not even a piano solo on this song that cries out for one. <_<

It poured steady all during Diana's set. They even had to push her piano and the other guys gear further back on the stage, but she was still getting wet...wiping down the piano and the keys every now and then. She could have dressed better for the conditions, (she took off her shoes and was playing barefoot!...not the best idea considering...) She should have put her hair up, cuz that was bothering her too...

I could tell she wasn't having that good of a time, and suspected she'd bail soon...she did. After only about 70 minutes...I don't think she even played ten songs...certainly not more than that. A disappointment...considering the tickets were about $85 per...

Damn but Jeff Hamilton is the shizzle...Anthony Wilson is pretty good too. This band plays jazz. Not sure what I'd call Chris Botti's music...?

Jeff Hamilton has more musical talent than Botti's entire band put together...

At least Diana played her killer version of "Let's Face The Music And Dance." Love that one... :)

When she packed it in, my wife Shelley yelled out, " Play 'Popsicle Toes"!!! That got a few chuckles from the people around us.

We had a good time, but would have gladly endured more rain for more playing by Diana and her band...

:tup

• 2 weeks later...

Exploding Star Orchestra tonight.

....saw them last weekend....fun show!

m~

Very fine show, the Orchestra was actually a sextet for this very small venue. Rythm section, vibes, sax, trumpet and flute.

Nice ensemble play with georgous musical motifs, let's give kudos to the vibraphone player Jason Adasiewicz and especially to the very very talented Nicole Mitchell.

First set was as good as it gets music wise. The best piece was the third one which to my suprise was never recorded and does not have a name, the song among its many charms features Nicole Mitchell's voice. Unfortunately during the second set noisy people kept talking throughout it so it was hard to concentrate on the music.

Nonetheless, for 10 $ gotta say it was still the steal of the century

Just came back from the Lee Konitz Nonet at the Iridium Jazz Club. Great show.

Next up, Tuesday, Sonny Rollins. Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins.Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins.Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins.Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins.

Did I say, Sonny Rollins.

The 50th annversary show at Carnegie Hall.