Running s... l ...o... w

kinuta

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds logical enough, but I'm on FIOS & the rest of the web runs normally.

Hmmm...there could also be a weird issue with how Verizon is connecting to Organissimo's servers, I guess. I don't remember if Jim mentioned where the server is located, but I'm guessing it's not part of a major datacenter. Whereas most of the other sites you visit are probably jacked in pretty close to network backbones (think all Google properties including Blogger blogs, all Yahoo properties including Flickr, major newspapers, major retailers, etc. I wonder if Verizon routes traffic such that the pipe is big enough to easily handle spikes in traffic to the big boys, but they suffer congestion to smaller sites during times of increased usage. Just armchair theorizing - I don't claim to be a network engineer.

Sounds logical enough, but I'm on FIOS & the rest of the web runs normally.

Hmmm...there could also be a weird issue with how Verizon is connecting to Organissimo's servers, I guess. I don't remember if Jim mentioned where the server is located, but I'm guessing it's not part of a major datacenter. Whereas most of the other sites you visit are probably jacked in pretty close to network backbones (think all Google properties including Blogger blogs, all Yahoo properties including Flickr, major newspapers, major retailers, etc. I wonder if Verizon routes traffic such that the pipe is big enough to easily handle spikes in traffic to the big boys, but they suffer congestion to smaller sites during times of increased usage. Just armchair theorizing - I don't claim to be a network engineer.

Jim, did you pay your Verizon bill? :unsure:

There's a time of the day when the board is a bitch; you just can't get through. It's always been a few minutes after ten AM (my time). I've tried firing up the board on another browser and sometimes I get an error message to say that the database is fucked. So I assume there's some heavy housekeeping going on in the wee small hours in Michigan.

But the thing is, we put our clocks back last weekend and the problem continued to appear just after ten AM. Now you've put your clocks back, the problem has moved to about ten forty :crazy:

MG

Guest Bill Barton

I've noticed sporadic slowness here but nothing too drastic. Not sure whether there's any kind of a connection, but I use Google Chrome now instead of Firefox to access the board. Certain sites - especially Facebook - seem to work much better with Chrome.

Oh, and I've never tried to read or post at 10h00 GMT (sleepytime here in the NW.)

Edited by Bill Barton

Now that I'm creeping back to O., I find I have a hard time getting in any day of the week around 1000GMT.

Takes more than half an hour before things get back to normal!

I also got acquainted with the 'IPS Driver Error' page that J.A.W. refers in the previous message :(

I've had plenty of ISP Driver Error pages in the past couple of months or so, but in the past two weeks I think I've hardly had any trouble... sometimes I double-post because a post won't appear (instead Opera, my browser, tells me the connection is interrupted). So there's some slowness now and then, but generally it seems to work pretty well at this time.

Now that I'm creeping back to O., I find I have a hard time getting in any day of the week around 1000GMT.

Takes more than half an hour before things get back to normal!

I also got acquainted with the 'IPS Driver Error' page that J.A.W. refers in the previous message :(

Not even worth trying for half an hour after 10:00GMT. :tdown Bad news for American insomniacs, too.