Your next Mosaic set

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered the Sonny Stitt set today. I love Stitt and it had been on my short list of Mosaic sets to get but what convinced me to get it sooner was that I discovered that there is a session with Johnny Richards. I never knew who Johnny Richards was until picking up the Mosaic Select and really liked it a lot. I even picked up those sessions on the Fresh Sound CD so that I could hear more.

The Sonny Stitt and Johnny Richards combination just sounds so good to me (as does the rest of the box) -- I know it's gonna be great!!!! :tup:tup:excited:

PS: I don't want to hijack this thread but can any one point me to any other Johnny Richards I might need to get?

Here's some great Johnny Richards IMHO.

f76135kjd71.jpg

AMG gives it 4 and a half stars, FWIW. Here's the review:

"This CD contains one of the classic Stan Kenton albums, a six-part suite composed and arranged by Johnny Richards. The Kenton orchestra was expanded to 27 pieces for these dates including six percussionists, two French horns and six trumpets. With such soloists as tenor-great Lucky Thompson (on "Fuego Cubano,") trombonist Carl Fontana, altoist Lennie Niehaus, Bill Perkins on tenor and trumpeters Sam Noto and Vinnie Tanno, and plenty of raging ensembles, this is one of Stan Kenton's more memorable concept albums of the 1950s."

Review by Scott Yanow

Edited by Free For All

• 2 weeks later...

I really want the Farmer/Golson/Jazztet set, but the two times that I purchased more recently released sets I was rewarded soon after with older sets that I wanted being added to the running low/last chance list.

Of the older sets, the Max Roach set is probably furthest up the queue.

I have the Max Roach Mosaic for trade.............

Oliver Nelson really doesn't sound great to me lately, I'll not jump into that one.  I have likely all the Chu Berry material (darn it!)  I'm not that excited about upcoming stuff I guess!

Jazzbo, you're not telling me you don't like The Blues And The Abstract Truth, a set that Scott Yanow calls(and of course I agree with him) "a true classic"........are you????????

jj johnson

I just played the JJ Johnson vinyl after cleaning the LPs on the VPI cleaner and - wow - what a great set ! Don't miss this, Mosaic lovers...

I was torn between stitt and johnson, you just made up my mind and probably the johnson will go oop first, what do you think........

Dear mrjazzman,

The JJJ is on the *Running Low* list since July. If you are interested in this set, dont wait too long....

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very glad to see the Hank Mobley set is still available. I already own a good amount of his recordings from Soul Station going forward, but next to nothing prior. Looks like a great Christmas present for me. Thanks to all on this forum for making mention of this excellent set.

I'm very glad to see the Hank Mobley set is still available. I already own a good amount of his recordings from Soul Station going forward, but next to nothing prior. Looks like a great Christmas present for me. Thanks to all on this forum for making mention of this excellent set.

This one is very cool - I just picked it up a few weeks ago myself.

Just preordered the Mulligan Songbooks select...

and while I was in a Mosaic mood... I've been holding onto $100 in gift cards (b-day present)... and finally :unsure::unsure::unsure: GULP!! coughed it up and ordered the Mulligan Concert Jazz Band set and the Bud Shank/Cooper Select...

Ahh.... Tell me I did the right thing??? :o:o:huh:

I was desperately holding onto the $100 cause I had the fear that Mosaic would come out with something I couldn't resist and couldn't afford... (e.g, - Hypothetical - The Lost Live Recordings of Michel Petrucciani.... or a Lee Mogran Live at the VIllage Vanguard...something that like that... ) and it would be a 10 CD set..... BUT I just caved....

If anyone regrets buying those PLEASE let me know ASAP... I can still cancel the order...!!!!

Edited by tranemonk