Watermelon - Salted or Not?

No Mercy Shown To Sinners!  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's just sick and wrong.

I grew up in San Diego, we never did anything sick or wrong, just boring stuff... ;)

I grew up in St. Louis and spent a lot of time in Arkansas where putting salt on watermelon, well it just wasn't done. Now if we were are debating salt vs. sugar on tomatoes that could rage on for hours in my family.

I have had some of the least boring/sober moments of my relatively sober life in your hometown. San Diego is also home to one of my favorite roller coasters, second only to Santa Cruz.

Salt on watermelon?? NEVER!!!

But my wife loves it that way. My grandmother always did too.

Doesn't make no sense to me. Why in the world would you salt something that's sweet?? I'm not saying salty and sweet never go together, but not when it comes to fruit -- at least not in my book.

I don't think I've ever even tried it with salt before. Just seems wrong, always has, and always will.

My wife salts hers. I think its OK with salt but prefer to leave it alone.

A more important question in my watermelon experience is:

Seedless watermelons ie genetic mutants vs the natural melon as God intented.

My wife has been getting the seedless variety lately. (I can only assume it has something to do with the kids.) I have yet to find a seedless watermelon with a flavor worth eating more than a small piece extracted from the exact middle of the melon.

There's nothing quite like a real good melon that is so flavorful you can't help but keep eating until you're literally sick and can't make the car ride home without a mason jar. :D

Salt on watermelon?? NEVER!!!

Doesn't make no sense to me. Why in the world would you salt something that's sweet?? I'm not saying salty and sweet never go together, but not when it comes to fruit -- at least not in my book.

Salt actually accentuates the taste of sugar. You have to be careful not to overdo it, of course, but there are a lot of recipes that take advantage of this property of salt.

Prosciutto is pretty salty, and the prosciutto/melon combination is an Italian classic. In Malaysia they combine ripe pineapple with other, more sour fruit and dress it in a sauce based on salty shrimp paste and sugar to make rojak. (I'm not really a fan based on the one time I tried Penang rojak - I'd be perfectly happy eating straight pineapple.)

This is the first time I've heard of such a thing. Sounds like an abomination to me. But I'm not a huge watermelon fan.

Guy

I am 100% behind Guy's comments except to add that it seems as though there should have been an option for "I never heard of this before, and it sounds like an abomination."

Mom salts as I recall, bananas too!? Grandpa used to salt his beer (and mine when I was like five) he also ate onions like apples and limburger and braunschweiger sammiches. Best techinique of his was to put a big swath of butter on the side of the plate, salt and pepper it and then put it on one side end of his corn on the cobb thus buttering it while en palate. Kept the mess way down.

Maybe the next poll of around or typewriter style on the corn?