Top Posters In This Topic

But they fucked up, and here's why.

The Woody Shaw CBS material consisted of the following albums:

1) Rosewood

2) United

3) Woody III

4) For Sure

5) Steppin' Stones (live)

Woody III includes one track, 'Escape Velocity', which is part of the live sessions that yielded Steppin' Stones.

The now OOP Mosaic included 1-4, except for 'Escape Velocity'.

Currently on CD (in print):

1) Rosewood, which has 3 tracks from For Sure.

2) Steppin' Stones, which has bonus tracks plus 'Escape Velocity', but is missing one track, 'It All Comes Back To You' (or something like that).

Since it was a space issue, the logical thing would have been to issue the entire Steppin' Stones plus the bonus tracks, but leave out 'Escape Velocity', which could have been left on a potential future CD reissue of Woody III.

So, here's what's left to issue:

1) United

2) Woody III (the 5 studio tracks)

3) 4 tracks from For Sure plus an extra tune that was in the Mosaic box

4) The orphan track from Steppin' Stones

If I were hired as a producer with the mandate to reissue all the missing tunes on the least possible number of CDs, I would proceed as follows:

1) Release United as is + the 5 missing tracks from the For Sure sessions

2) Release Woody III as it first came out (including 'Escape Velocity') + the orphan track from Steppin' Stones

If there are timing contraints, one or two of the 5 tunes from For Sure could be put on Woody III instead of United.

Also, could there be more live material still in the can worth releasing?

None of this will actually ever happen, because the word on the street is that Sony does not have any desire for any future Woody Shaw reissues.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

1) Rosewood

2) United

3) Woody III

4) Time Is Right

Woody III includes one track, 'Escape Velocity', which is part of the live sessions that yielded Steppin' Stones.

The now OOP Mosaic included 1-4, except for 'Escape Velocity'.

Currently on CD (in print):

1) Rosewood, which has 3 tracks from Time Is Right.

2) Steppin' Stones, which has bonuis tracks plus 'Escape Velocity', but is missing one track, 'It All Comes Back To You' (or something like that).

Since it was a space issue, the logical thing would have been to issue the entire Steppin' Stones plus the bonus tracks, but leave out 'Escape Velocity', which could have been left on a potential future CD reissue of 'Woody III'.

So, here's what's left to issue:

1) United

2) Woody III (the 5 studio tracks)

3) 4 tracks from Time Is Right, plus an extra tune that was in the Mosaic box

4) The orphan track from Steppin' Stones

If I were hired as a producer with the mandate to reissue all the missing tunes on the least possible number of CDs, I would proceed as follows:

1) Release United as is + the 5 missing tracks from the Time Is Right sessions

2) Release Woody III as it first came out (including 'Escape Velocity') + the orphan track from Steppin' Stones

If there are timing contraints, one or two of the 5 tunes from Time Is Right could be put on Woody III instead of United.

None of this will actually ever happen, because the word on the street is that Sony does not have any desire for any future Woody Shaw reissues.

Bertrand.

I was thinking of the same issues. Having the Mosaic set and Stepping Stones allows you to create your own CDs as you see fit :) BTW, I think you mean "For Sure" vs "Time is Right" (a track off "For Sure"). I absolutely adore everything from his Columbia period - it is one of the Mosaics I pull out the most.

Some folks kind of dis his standards releases. Not me, I enjoy them as much as his other recordings. In fact, when I introduce him to my friends that don't know his music I tend to pick Setting Standards or Solid before I move onto the Mosaic era.

This was briefly mentioned way back on page 2: Mal Waldron - "The Seagulls of Kristiansund" (Soul Note)

d25590mi5o8.jpg

Woody's solo on "Snake Out" is astounding... the Penguin guys call it "one of his most unfettered solos".

I was just playing this the other day, and I concur with Penguin :tup

• 2 months later...

How do the LIVE Vols 1-3 rate with everyone. Are those a good place to start with Shaw or is there a better recommendation?

The LIves are excellent, though I don't know if it's really possible to pick a 'good' starting point with woody (all of his stuff is great as far as I'm concerned).

Grab all of the 32jazz reissues you can find (that's the Muse catalog....). The Columbias are great.....I'd probably say check out 'Stepping Stones' or the Dexter Gordon album 'Homecoming' which is Dexter's Vanguard stint after returning from Europe, backed by Woody's band....

bigtiny

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Woody has been my "current favorite" trumpeter for going on about 5 years now...

Funny how certain musicians just speak to you (not the same musicians speak to everyone, but those that do speak to you, really do -- if you know what I mean).

Their solos "tell stories" to you, in a sense. Their musical language -- whether you understand it technically (or not, as in my case) -- just demands your attention, even with repeated exposure.

Woody is like that for me, and solidly he has kept my attention for the better part of half a decade. And slowly I chip away at collecting his entire (released) recorded output. I'm not fanatical about getting everything, but I know that eventually I will have most of it -- if for no other reason than anything with his name on it piques my interest.

(And yes, I have heard a good handful of things by the man that DIDN'T float my boat, so this isn't just a blind obsession. I've even traded off those things that didn't quite cut it -- his studio albums with Art Blakey in the early 70's, for instance, or some of that "Paris Reunion" stuff in the mid 80's.)

But man, when he was 'on' -- he was "ON"!!

1) Rosewood

2) United

3) Woody III

4) For Sure

Bertrand.

I've always wondered and suspected that there was a LOT more Woody Shaw stuff in the vaults, especially live material from the Vanguard run. It's interesting to me that the one record refused to Mosaic by Columbia was the Stepping Stones record. It's a burning record (one of my faves), but that, by itself, was not a big enough reason to stop them from licensing to Cuscuna. And the Columbia reissue didn't come for several years after the Mosaic set so I don't think it was "in the pipeline" at the time. The logical answer would be that there was a bunch more material available and Columbia wanted to keep their options open...remember, that was about the time they were starting the Miles boxes.

Here's hoping that if more great material exists, it will see the light of day....

bigtiny

• 10 years later...
On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2003 at 0:09 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

There's a comprehensive discography/sessionography of his recordings and sideman appearances, and several truly excellent interviews with the man himself (look for the link called "Additional Resources" for the interviews.

Link: http://www.shout.net/~jmh/shaw/index.htm

The link above is long dead, and the link below is no longer the same...

http://www.woodyshaw.com/discography/disco_06.htm

But the current Woody Shaw official website curiously links to his complete discography at the following link...

http://50.62.230.18/discography/

Which thankfully still works, though it doesn't seem to have included the recently discovered Larry Young in Paris recordings, and some other live dates from just this year.  So what all is missing from this discography that's really of note??

• 1 year later...