Bob Dylan corner

mjzee

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many are going to hate this new album (many without even listening to more than a few seconds here and there). I'm very interested to hear it, I think it will hold some fascinating moments. I'm not a Sinatra fan, but I am a Dylan fan and will enjoy hearing his interpretation of these songs.

I'm interested in this one as well. I'm both a Sinatra fan and a Dylan fan, but in my experience a lot of hardcore Sinatra fans seem to really dislike Dylan much more than Dylan fans seem to dislike Sinatra. I haven't been able to get motivated to check out the ongoing thread at the Hoffman forums yet, but there have already been negative comments about Dylan on the Sinatraphiles mailing list, solely in response to the album's announcement.

I saw Sinatra once. Must have been in the early '90's, at Carnegie Hall. He was backed by a 40-piece orchestra and a 40-piece string section. I didn't have much money at the time, but knew I had to see this. Got a ticket in the very last row of the top balcony. It was great. Was Frank's voice shot? Yup. It was interesting, though, that he did much better on the uptempo numbers than he did on the slow ballads. But his poise, his mannerisms, his stage presence, all were right on the money. It was a great evening.

I saw Sinatra once as well, January 1982, at Caesars. No strings, just a big band. And very minimal recent-ish pop fare, almost entirely standards. Swing and ballads. And a spot with the rhythm section, where he did "I Get A Kick Out Of You" in a pocket that was so locked in you could play basketball on it with one of Bill Belicheck's deflated footballs.

Even then, his voice was in decline, but that night, he had a good night, found his spot inside the songs and inside the charts, and damn...I went in just to "see Sinatra", right, a chance to experience whatever part of American iconography he still occupied. But I left out of there with goosebumps, For real goosebumps. I finally got it. Total command that evening, total command.

I'm an AARP member, and an informal Dylan fan. I sincerely hope I'm one of the random 50,000!

Even then, his voice was in decline, but that night, he had a good night, found his spot inside the songs and inside the charts, and damn...I went in just to "see Sinatra", right, a chance to experience whatever part of American iconography he still occupied. But I left out of there with goosebumps, For real goosebumps. I finally got it. Total command that evening, total command.

Had a very similar experience seeing Paul McCartney 4-5 years ago. Wow ...

Edited by Eric

I just heard the new record today. It is nice, if not a home run. The Sinatra connection is only tangential. This is Dylan making a serious effort to deliver these songs himself as best he can at this point in his career. I enjoyed listening to it, but it will probably be a while before I come back to it.

I'll have mine late today but probably won't listen to it til tomorrow.

John, that was how I felt til about ten years ago when suddenly all those albums clicked for me in a way that they hadn't before, and the Bootleg volume "Tell Tale Signs" really solidified that for me. . . now I like all those albums. Tempest has been played a lot the last two years.

I even like that one. In part because I HATE Christmas albums. But I loved the arrangements and playing on that one and most of the singing.

Dylan is an amazing person. I'd love to write a huge novel about his mature life if only I knew a bit more about it!

I'm listening to Shadows in the Night right now, it came earlier than I thought it would. Beautiful arrangements and recording and I'm enjoying the singing. I'll be revisiting this one and can't wait to get my girlfriend's opinion :)

Edited by jazzbo

Thanks for posting this. I've never been a huge Dylan fan, but I plan to listen to this record. I thought his answer to this question was really very good--honest and insightful:

I noticed that Frank Sinatra recorded every one of these songs. Was he on your mind?

A: When you start doing these songs, Frank’s got to be on your mind. Because he is the mountain. That’s the mountain you have to climb, even if you only get part of the way there. And it’s hard to find a song he did not do. He’d be the guy you got to check with. People talk about Frank all the time. He had this ability to get inside of the song in a sort of a conversational way. Frank sang to you — not at you. I never wanted to be a singer that sings at somebody. I’ve always wanted to sing to somebody. I myself never bought any Frank Sinatra records back then. But you’d hear him anyway — in a car or a jukebox. Certainly nobody worshipped Sinatra in the ’60s like they did in the ’40s. But he never went away — all those other things that we thought were here to stay, they did go away. But he never did.

"Where are You" on this seems to me to have a Teagarden vibe to it, a good thing. I'm not very well-versed on Sinatra and I didn't once think "Sinatra!" during the listening to this, I know all these tunes from others but Bob inhabits them comfortably enough. I like this one more than I thought I would.

Yeah, I wondered a bit about all the Sinatra hype, too ... after a few spins, I like the new one plenty - the man has no voice, but after all, he can sing ... he hits the notes and some of it sounds pretty daring for what one would except from him. But thinking of Sinatra only is definitely taking a few short cuts - but don't music critics love 'em? would be more work to check out the whole tin pan alley vs. singer/songwriters of the sixties and all that stuff ... I like the idea of ol' Bob paying his tributes to some other great songwriters that were of an era he helped to bring to an end.