Cliff Englewood

Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

2,911 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Great stuff. I’ve been through 4 of the 6 discs twice. The riffs & grooves are terrific. I prefer KV on baritone but he’s come a long way on his tenor. McPhee is a national treasure and he’s superb throughout. Only quibble is Kessler could be slightly higher in the mix.

Bass AND drums could be a bit more forward...

2 hours ago, David Ayers said:

Bass AND drums could be a bit more forward...

Maybe as Vandermark is recorded pretty loud - or maybe both KV & McPhee - maybe that’s his they sound live. I do think Hamid’s drums *sound* terrific. 

R-2765883-1322958974.jpeg.jpg

..... from this box set:

R-9386761-1479725892-2099.jpeg.jpg

51WpbPzziHL._SY355_.jpg

A mention in another thread here made me want to pull out this. A wonderful surprise.

On 8/6/2019 at 4:33 AM, mikeweil said:

R-2765883-1322958974.jpeg.jpg

..... from this box set:

R-9386761-1479725892-2099.jpeg.jpg

What’s your opinion of the Shearing disc? A review I read wasn’t complimentary. 

I couldn't care less about reviews. I like Shearing, I like Wes and his brothers. Their combination is different from what the brothers did on their own, and different from Shearing's quintet of the time - not the typical block chord unisons, more counterpoint. I find it to be an inspired meeting. Not all jazz has to be shouting. This is light but pleasant, and it swings.

On 8/11/2019 at 0:03 AM, Brad said:

I find reviews helpful, especially because I'm running out of room, but to each his own. I don't know if you saw this article but I thought it was pretty good. 

Deep Dive: Giving Pianist George Shearing His Proper Due, With a Look Beyond ‘Lullaby’

Brad, thanks for sharing this. Very interesting!

An aside: I wouldn't consider this article a review; I'd be more inclined to call it "scholarly writing about jazz." Lewis Porter knows his stuff!