Pick my next Horace Silver

GA Russell

Which of these is the best Horace Silver?  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My last Horace Silver was Jazz Has a Sense of Humor which I got in 1999. That's been quite a while now, so it's time for another.

Your Music has eight available. Whatever the group chooses, that is the one I will put at the top of my queue.

I already have his Best of volumes 1 and 2, so I suppose that I already have his very best songs and hits.

I don't plan on this being my last Horace Silver purchase, but I won't plan on making another one for a year or more.

Please feel free to discuss the merits or demerits of the albums you are familiar with. Because there are so many available, we might as well make this a Horace Silver corner.

Deadline for the poll is 11:59 pm eastern, February 6.

PS - Please vote only once. I'm looking forward to seeing which one this group likes the best!

Edited by GA Russell

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest the mommy

i would go with the cape verdean blues, just because the more "modern" musicians appeal to me more. but i am not sure if that is a factor for you. but to me, henderson and shaw is one of my favorite blue note sax/trumpet combos. and roger humphries is an unsung drummer.

I went for "Song...' just ahead of 'Cape...', but both belong in any jazz collection. Why would you get 'Sense of Humor' and the best of's ahead of these! And after you get these two, go back and get the other 60's dates. Sell off some of your other CD's, and the three Silver's you already have, to pay for them if need be. You own none of his classic albums, and vow to only buy one of them this year, and call yourself a jazz fan? Kids these days....

i would go with the cape verdean blues, just because the more "modern" musicians appeal to me more. but i am not sure if that is a factor for you. but to me, henderson and shaw is one of my favorite blue note sax/trumpet combos. and roger humphries is an unsung drummer.

I probably haven't listened to this date as much as I should have, so take my evaluation with some salt but... I think Horace sounds a little lost on the more modern bits, while Shaw and Henderson don't fit in with the more traditional material. A nice recording, but not my favorite Silver.

Guy

The only one of those I haven't got is "Blue silver", so I suppose I ought to get that pretty soon :)

As Chuck said, it's kind of a no brainer - Silver & the Jazz Messengers. That's what I voted for. Yes, it was terrifically influential, and I can see why that aspect appeals to many.

I love it because it was SO RIGHT FOR ITS TIME. And because it's so funky. And because it's got all that Ray Charles stuff in it. And because it always makes me feel good.

But there aren't any Silvers I've got that don't make me feel good. Oh, and there aren't any non-funky Silvers that I've heard. So...

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

I have all of them except "Silver's Blue" and "Silver's Serenade". All of them are good.

If I had to choose one, I'd go with "Cape Verdean Blues". To me, its the most "interesting" session of them all. Like other posters have mentioned, it sounds more "modern" than typical Horace Silver dates, and Woody Shaw and Joe Henderson, as well as JJ Johnson on the second half, absolutely tear it up.

Plus, it has "Nutville"!!!

You can't go wrong with Horace, and I know that when I was more of a Horace newbie, I would never imagine telling myself that this next purchase would be it for the whole year. :blink:

If you tend toward the more "modern" musicians, Cape Verdean is the way to go, though in that group, it would rank in the bottom third, for me. JM, Doin The Thing, Silver's Serenade and Silver's Blue would be my top 4, and it gets very tough to narrow it down from there. I guess that Doin The Thing and Jazz Messengers would be the two finalists. You can't go wrong there, but I can't parse it any further, so I am not going to vote.