Andrew Hill died today

keys

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sad to hear this of course, but the news makes me happy that late in life he was able to enjoy the recognition that his life's work deserved.

That is a good point.

His Blue Note catalogue is now in very good shape thanks to the recent issue of 'Compulsion'. Critical plaudits were rightly given for 'Time Lines', 'Passing Ships' and the superb 3CD Mosaic Select. And those of us in Europe are fortunate indeed that we were able to see him on tour at various times during these last 10 years.

I'm sad to hear this of course, but the news makes me happy that late in life he was able to enjoy the recognition that his life's work deserved.

P.S. When Charles Brown died, Mosaic received a rush of orders for his set and sold out of them. Perhaps those of you who are fans of Andrew Hill should consider immediately ordering his Mosaic Select.

Will do!

I had the same thought.

Very sad news. I was fortunate enough to meet him very briefly before his concert in Paris last year. We ere both eating at the same restaurant and I was able to tell him how much I loved his music. He'll be hugely missed.

The title of this thread sent chills through me. His music moves me, and teaches me, and has the transcendent qualities that characterize the deepest arts. Thank you for these gifts.

My sentiments, as well.

His music has truly enriched my life, and, like only a few other artists, I can recall clearly the first time I heard many of his recordings. And with repeated listenings they just keep getting better and better...

:(

I am literally in a state of shock. Although we knew of his illness and the inevitable decline that comes with a brave fight against terminal cancer, it is still hard to accept nonetheless.

He was my favorite pianist-bar none. I had the privilege of seeing him perform twice-once with his quartet and once in a rare solo concert where my wife and I were sitting in the first row. We were so close that we could feel the vibrations of the piano as he played. What a rush.

After the first set, Andrew came downstairs to chat with a few admirers who had been sitting in the cafe at An Die Musik. We had the rare opportunity to speak with him briefly and sit down with him and listen to some stories. I was so nervous and intimidated that I fumbled for words. Still it was great to be in his presence as he demonstrated that he was a warm, engaging, person.

I will always cherish and treasure those memories as well as his music that will live on.

God Bless You Andrew.

You will be missed.

LWayne :(

Edited by LWayne

Very sad news!

I have to admit to being slow to appreciate Mr. Hill (apart from Points, of course). However, his work has increasingly been finding its way into rotation for me in recent months. (I bought Dance With Death only a couple of days ago). I'm finding the more work I put into listening to him, the more it repays.

Will be having an Andrew Hill weekend, I think.

COMPLETELY SUCKS: ANOTHER TOPPER TO A HORRIBLE DAY FOR CHEWY::: I RECOUNT IN OCT. WHEN I SAW HIM HIS MUSIC WAS FANTASTIC BUT ALREADY THEN HIS VOICE WAS COMPLETELY SHOT DUE TO THE LUNG CANCER- I MEAN HE SOUNDED REALLY HORRIBLE HE COULD HARDLY TALK AND I REMEMEBER IT WAS VERY UPSETTING. I KNEW HE WAS DYING THEN AND HE LASTED UNTIL SPRING. ALTHOUGH I AM NOT COMPELETLY OBSESSED W/ HIS ALBUMS I HAVE GREAT RESPECT AND ADMIRATION FOR HIM AND HIS MUSIC AND AM VERY SAD ABOUT IT ALL