Dewey Redman

Guy Berger

d7246190csg.jpg

Anthony Cox - Dark Metals (Antilles/Polygram 1992), with...

Anthony Cox - Bass

Dewey Redman - Tenor

Michael Cain - Piano

Billy Higgins - Drums, Guitar, Vocals

Includes some of the best Dewey Redman on record, IMHO. I think a few others here have this CD as well, and can back this up. OOP probably, but highly recommended.

(Yes, Billy Higgins really does play guitar and sing on this CD, on two cuts - both Brazilian folk tunes - and does so with great panash.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 2 months later...

Moose, if you like Momentum Space, you'd probably like Ear of the Behearer and Tarik. The Impulse! session is probably more intense (or dense) than the BYG session, but both contain fine improvisations by Redman. I list these two not only because they're fine recordings, but because they also seem the easiest to acquire right now.

Others, though, might have more sophisticated (?) recommendations. The Ornette Blue Notes with Redman are also worth checking out, but I'm guessing you might already have them.

d7246190csg.jpg

Anthony Cox - Dark Metals (Antilles/Polygram 1992), with...

Anthony Cox - Bass

Dewey Redman - Tenor

Michael Cain - Piano

Billy Higgins - Drums, Guitar, Vocals

Includes some of the best Dewey Redman on record, IMHO. I think a few others here have this CD as well, and can back this up. OOP probably, but highly recommended.

(Yes, Billy Higgins really does play guitar and sing on this CD, on two cuts - both Brazilian folk tunes - and does so with great panash.)

Sure I back this up! Great disc! :tup

(Anthony Cox' second on that label is very good, too!)

Hell yeah you ought to!

You might also ought to get the sets of Keith's Impulse stuff. Some prime Dewey on that, and plenty of it.

Ornette's SCIENCE FICTION set, you'll want that too.

That duet thing w/Blackwell, you ought to get that one too.

And TARIK.

Edited by JSngry

The previously mentioned Anthony Cox has some of the best Dewey Redman on disc that I have heard. I would also recommend picking up the Old & New Dreams recordings with Don Cherry, Charlie Haden and Ed Blackwell. Redman plays well on Momentum Space, but there was not enough of him. Don't forget Ed Blackwell's Walls-Bridges. Excellent trio date!

I also enjoyed his Palmetto disc, In London and the 1989 recording on Black Saint, Living on the Edge.

A Dewey Redman record I especially enjoy is "The Struggle Continues," on ECM, now no doubt out of print. It's a quartet with Charles Eubanks (piano), Mark Helias (bass), and Ed Blackwell on drums, from the early 80's. It takes "Joie de Vivre," which was on "Ear of the Behearer," and gives it a much more swinging, mainstream treatment. Beautiful album.

A Dewey Redman record I especially enjoy is "The Struggle Continues," on ECM, now no doubt out of print. It's a quartet with Charles Eubanks (piano), Mark Helias (bass), and Ed Blackwell on drums, from the early 80's. It takes "Joie de Vivre," which was on "Ear of the Behearer," and gives it a much more swinging, mainstream treatment. Beautiful album.

True!

• 11 months later...

d4344132s47.jpg

Revisiting this album tonight with a pounder of Imperial Stout. Damn! What a fine, fine album. Just as the Ornette influence seems to creep in too heavily, Redman comes out with a track like "Boody," proving he's his own man on the horn. What an under-remarked saxophonist ...

Highly recommended, this one.

d4344132s47.jpg

Revisiting this album tonight with a pounder of Imperial Stout. Damn! What a fine, fine album. Just as the Ornette influence seems to creep in too heavily, Redman comes out with a track like "Boody," proving he's his own man on the horn. What an under-remarked saxophonist ...

Highly recommended, this one.

I just ordered a used copy of this. I am really looking forward to hearing it!

How is his album Musics on Galaxy?

Here's one I've been waiting to tell:

A tenor-playing friend says he overheard Dewey warming up on his tenor in Chicago. Instead of warming up with scales or patterns or runs, all Dewey did was about 10 minutes of going VERY slowly up a half-step (I think my friend said C-sharp to D), exploring the notes between the notes, exploring his ability to control fractional differences in pitch, and changing the tone color now and then.

He was just getting his tone built up, getting his command of the nuances in order -- and apparently trusting that everything else would fall into place after that.