Best track you heard all week

jazzbo

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The best track I heard this past week is Mahalia Jackson's original Apollo recording of Silent Night. It stunned me when I first heard it on the Danish radio about 60 years ago, and it continues to take my breath away. Apropos breath, according to the rules, Mahalia's breathing is all "wrong" on this recording, yet it is so right. If you haven't heard this gem, make sure you do so, but skip the Columbia version—they did their best to remove the Mahalia magic, and sometimes they almost succeeded. On the Apollo recording, she is accompanied only by Mildred Falls at the organ. That's really all Mahalia needed.

"L'Homme a la Moto"

from The Wynton Marsalis Quintet & Richard Galliano - "From Billie Holiday to Edith Piaf"

Yeah, yeah, I know it's Wynton, but this is a very exciting track with some fiery exchanges and interplay between WM and accordianist Galliano who is a really amazing player, whom you can see in action on the accompnaying DVD.

Damn, I loves me some Stax records - Wm Bell "I Forgot to Be Your Lover" which I've appended to my cassette copy of Soul of a Bell 'cause I love that track from '68 but generally like earlier Stax better & Eddie Floyd "Something You Got" from the Knock On Wood album, amix tape of Memphis does New Orleans may be in the offing.

Bud Powell's rendition of "I Remember Clifford" from the so-called "Edenville holiday" tapes of 1964 (originally issued on Mythic Sound, then again on a Pablo disc entitled BEBOP.) The piano is badly out of tune, the fidelity (uh...) informal, and I've always found Golson's elegy a little staid, even drab, but Bud, here on the cusp of his final decline, colors and shades the tune masterfully. And he finds a seam of deep, deep emotion here and mines it like no other modern jazz pianist could.

• 2 weeks later...

Art Pepper; The Great Lie. From Chet Baker/Art Pepper The Route on Pacific Jazz.

Art with just Leroy Vinnegar and Stan Levey in 1956. Nice to (re)discover an overlooked or just forgotten gem.

Nice one! Also like Shorty Rogers' great arrangement and Gene Ammons' great solo on the original "The Great Lie" by the Herman band.

I'm somewhat ashamed to mention that James Carr was a name completely new to me but I'm real glad I heard "Pouring Water on a Drowning Man".

A wonderful singer and a wonderful record.

Indeed! And now I am taking the full plunge and have on order the "complete Goldwax recordings" and am leaning toward taking the plunge on at least one of the Ace compilations of the Goldwax label. My brother, who knows the soul genre much better than I do, sent me a link to an NPR piece on the label, that's how I found out about Carr.