Gary

Albert Ayler

142 posts in this topic

You can get a copy from Martin Davidson. Amazon was out recently, and may still be.

You can get a copy from Martin Davidson. Amazon was out recently, and may still be.

The earlier copies of the 50th anniversary disc released in June had the bonus track at the wrong speed - It was repressed in September with the 5th track at correct speed

So, there are going to be a few dud CDs circulating. Martin carries the corrected version

http://www.emanemdisc.com/other.html

In case anyone is interested, I've come across this interesting "interview" with Ayler from France in the '70s.

Perhaps more of a sustained beatnik monologue. It's him talking for 40 minutes straight to what sounds like an audience of crickets. Either way, it's an interesting one.

it's one of the highlights of the Holy Ghost box...

10 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I'm not sure whether people have seen this, but a great documentary on Ayler that is currently being made available for free ...

Thanks for the heads-up. I watched the documentary a handful of years ago, and it'll be great to watch it again. I wonder if it'll ever be on DVD.

Don't know that it's ever been commercially released here on any format. My copy is off a TV broadcast somewhere.

Great documentary, and the live footage shocked the hell out of me the first time it popped in.

Thanks a lot. Been looking for it for a very long time!

Well, it is now free to watch on that link, if anyone fancies it. I certainly recommend it.

Thanks! Great documentary all the way through. Agreed on the Yoko-ing on his last girlfriend.

saw it upon US release in Austin many years ago -- the Alamo Drafthouse had "Music Mondays," which were either $2 or $5, and this was one of their screenings. Pretty fantastic although I agree that Mary Maria got short shrift. Somebody needs to write a book on jazz in Scandinavia with a bent on American influences like Ayler, Shepp, Taylor, Cherry, Pettiford...

On 7/8/2021 at 11:02 AM, clifford_thornton said:

saw it upon US release in Austin many years ago -- the Alamo Drafthouse had "Music Mondays," which were either $2 or $5, and this was one of their screenings. Pretty fantastic although I agree that Mary Maria got short shrift. Somebody needs to write a book on jazz in Scandinavia with a bent on American influences like Ayler, Shepp, Taylor, Cherry, Pettiford...

When you saw it, do you remember if it had English subtitles or were there Scandinavian subtitles (I'm not clear on what specific language it is) per the release in this thread?  I was glad to have access to it and I did not find the subtitles to be a distraction but I admit to being at a loss with the non-English dialogue, particularly from Ayler's European girlfriend.  I got the impression that her commentary might have shed some light that was not coming from the other sources.

Overall I was glad to see the film and I am glad that it was made but I think the Lee Morgan documentary by the same director is a much better film.

On 07/07/2021 at 6:23 PM, Rabshakeh said:

I'm not sure whether people have seen this, but a great documentary on Ayler that is currently being made available for free:

https://insheepsclothinghifi.com/my-name-is-ayler-2005/

cheers - have been wanting to see this since it was first released

15 hours ago, erhodes said:

When you saw it, do you remember if it had English subtitles or were there Scandinavian subtitles (I'm not clear on what specific language it is) per the release in this thread?  I was glad to have access to it and I did not find the subtitles to be a distraction but I admit to being at a loss with the non-English dialogue, particularly from Ayler's European girlfriend.  I got the impression that her commentary might have shed some light that was not coming from the other sources.

Overall I was glad to see the film and I am glad that it was made but I think the Lee Morgan documentary by the same director is a much better film.

definitely English subtitles where needed, otherwise none.

Great documentary! Glad I finally had the chance to see it. Didn’t know Donald was such a troubled person. Not sure what to think of Mary Maria but I’ve always felt she wasn’t a very good influence and this documentary mostly confirms that feeling.

On 08/07/2021 at 4:02 PM, clifford_thornton said:

Just seen on Twitter that Eleusinian Press has commissioned a book on Scandinavian free jazz from a writer called Daniel Spicer.

Just watched the documentary, I'd seen it before but was well worth a second viewing.  thanks for posting the link.

Coincidentally today would have been his 85th birthday