Gary

Albert Ayler

142 posts in this topic

You can get a copy from Martin Davidson. Amazon was out recently, and may still be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can get a copy from Martin Davidson. Amazon was out recently, and may still be.

The earlier copies of the 50th anniversary disc released in June had the bonus track at the wrong speed - It was repressed in September with the 5th track at correct speed

So, there are going to be a few dud CDs circulating. Martin carries the corrected version

http://www.emanemdisc.com/other.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In case anyone is interested, I've come across this interesting "interview" with Ayler from France in the '70s.

Perhaps more of a sustained beatnik monologue. It's him talking for 40 minutes straight to what sounds like an audience of crickets. Either way, it's an interesting one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's one of the highlights of the Holy Ghost box...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I'm not sure whether people have seen this, but a great documentary on Ayler that is currently being made available for free ...

Thanks for the heads-up. I watched the documentary a handful of years ago, and it'll be great to watch it again. I wonder if it'll ever be on DVD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know that it's ever been commercially released here on any format. My copy is off a TV broadcast somewhere.

Great documentary, and the live footage shocked the hell out of me the first time it popped in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks a lot. Been looking for it for a very long time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it is now free to watch on that link, if anyone fancies it. I certainly recommend it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks! Great documentary all the way through. Agreed on the Yoko-ing on his last girlfriend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

saw it upon US release in Austin many years ago -- the Alamo Drafthouse had "Music Mondays," which were either $2 or $5, and this was one of their screenings. Pretty fantastic although I agree that Mary Maria got short shrift. Somebody needs to write a book on jazz in Scandinavia with a bent on American influences like Ayler, Shepp, Taylor, Cherry, Pettiford...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2021 at 11:02 AM, clifford_thornton said:

saw it upon US release in Austin many years ago -- the Alamo Drafthouse had "Music Mondays," which were either $2 or $5, and this was one of their screenings. Pretty fantastic although I agree that Mary Maria got short shrift. Somebody needs to write a book on jazz in Scandinavia with a bent on American influences like Ayler, Shepp, Taylor, Cherry, Pettiford...

When you saw it, do you remember if it had English subtitles or were there Scandinavian subtitles (I'm not clear on what specific language it is) per the release in this thread?  I was glad to have access to it and I did not find the subtitles to be a distraction but I admit to being at a loss with the non-English dialogue, particularly from Ayler's European girlfriend.  I got the impression that her commentary might have shed some light that was not coming from the other sources.

Overall I was glad to see the film and I am glad that it was made but I think the Lee Morgan documentary by the same director is a much better film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/07/2021 at 6:23 PM, Rabshakeh said:

I'm not sure whether people have seen this, but a great documentary on Ayler that is currently being made available for free:

https://insheepsclothinghifi.com/my-name-is-ayler-2005/

cheers - have been wanting to see this since it was first released

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, erhodes said:

When you saw it, do you remember if it had English subtitles or were there Scandinavian subtitles (I'm not clear on what specific language it is) per the release in this thread?  I was glad to have access to it and I did not find the subtitles to be a distraction but I admit to being at a loss with the non-English dialogue, particularly from Ayler's European girlfriend.  I got the impression that her commentary might have shed some light that was not coming from the other sources.

Overall I was glad to see the film and I am glad that it was made but I think the Lee Morgan documentary by the same director is a much better film.

definitely English subtitles where needed, otherwise none.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great documentary! Glad I finally had the chance to see it. Didn’t know Donald was such a troubled person. Not sure what to think of Mary Maria but I’ve always felt she wasn’t a very good influence and this documentary mostly confirms that feeling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/07/2021 at 4:02 PM, clifford_thornton said:

saw it upon US release in Austin many years ago -- the Alamo Drafthouse had "Music Mondays," which were either $2 or $5, and this was one of their screenings. Pretty fantastic although I agree that Mary Maria got short shrift. Somebody needs to write a book on jazz in Scandinavia with a bent on American influences like Ayler, Shepp, Taylor, Cherry, Pettiford...

Just seen on Twitter that Eleusinian Press has commissioned a book on Scandinavian free jazz from a writer called Daniel Spicer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched the documentary, I'd seen it before but was well worth a second viewing.  thanks for posting the link.

Coincidentally today would have been his 85th birthday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.