Oscar Peterson Mosaic is available for preorder

Ron S

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay... now you've really got me thinking...

I'm suspecting the answer to this is no... but is there any duplication between the Mosaic set and the Verve 5CD set with OP and Lionel Hampton (the complete quartets and quintets)??? And does anyone have that set?? is it worth me grabbing it before that one goes OOP???

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps we could assign a number, such as #44, to the entire controversy which can be summarized as "I like Oscar Peterson's playing/oh, but he's an empty technician who didn't deserve as much fame as he got/wait a minute, I like his music a lot/you don't understand, he was never really that good/oh yes he was/oh no he wasn't".

Then whenever someone wants to have that discussion, they can just type in "44". Everyone responding to the first post can also type in "44". That will save a lot of heartburn and anguish for all.

Perhaps we could assign a number, such as #44, to the entire controversy which can be summarized as "I like Oscar Peterson's playing/oh, but he's an empty technician who didn't deserve as much fame as he got/wait a minute, I like his music a lot/you don't understand, he was never really that good/oh yes he was/oh no he wasn't".

Then whenever someone wants to have that discussion, they can just type in "44". Everyone responding to the first post can also type in "44". That will save a lot of heartburn and anguish for all.

:)

Excellent suggestion! I will make a note of this.

Does he play lots of notes on every tune? Can you tell which ones he thinks are important? :cool:

Would you say that about Art Tatum?

Tatum did let me know the important notes. That's the big diff for me.

That's certainly the politically correct conventional wisdom.

Can't be many times when Chuck has been called "politically correct". :D

• 5 months later...

Got this box a couple of weeks ago in a local store, immediately read the lenghty introduction, but only started listening on Friday night... been on a trip, also bought 8 of OP's 9 MPS studio albums (skipped the one w/voices, I might reconsider...) and 3 of the 6 "Exclusively for My Friends" (will be looking for more... there's a nice Universal sale going on, also including quite a number of re-pressed OJCs).

Anyway, I'm really turning into a fan right as we speak (well, right as I'm typing, that is).

Does anyone know, are there plans for further Mosaic sets, most obviously the Ellis or Thigpen trio studio recordings?

There's a hint going in this direction in McDonough's (very good, I found, but I'm an OP neophyte, so...) notes.

Got this box a couple of weeks ago in a local store, immediately read the lenghty introduction, but only started listening on Friday night... been on a trip, also bought 8 of OP's 9 MPS studio albums (skipped the one w/voices, I might reconsider...) and 3 of the 6 "Exclusively for My Friends" (will be looking for more... there's a nice Universal sale going on, also including quite a number of re-pressed OJCs).

Anyway, I'm really turning into a fan right as we speak (well, right as I'm typing, that is).

Does anyone know, are there plans for further Mosaic sets, most obviously the Ellis or Thigpen trio studio recordings?

There's a hint going in this direction in McDonough's (very good, I found, but I'm an OP neophyte, so...) notes.

Flurin,

sorry, just remembered your mail when I read this ... sorry. Been too busy with getting into mud-wrestling fights with the state legislature. :)

A new OP "fan"? Who might've thunk it?

There's a definite need to get the OP trio with Ed Thigpen (and, of course, Ray Brown) out as a Mosaic set, hopefully with better sound than some of the Verve remasters. I'm a huge fan of the London House sessions, but (although the original tapes might leave much to be desired?) the Verve 'boxed set" (more of a layout and design clusterfuck) is just too thin in the sound department. I do believe a decent engineer can get more out of it.

Some of the earlier OP CDs by Verve (f.ex. "Plays Porgy & Bess") are fabulous, sonically.

I am one of the (very) few that believe that OP did better in that trio setting than the "classic" one before that.

YMMV.

I'd spring a huge amount for a complete (alternates at the end, not one after another as, f.ex. again, "Plays Porgy & Bess" is about as complete a gem as it stands with perfect sequencing) Mosaic boxed set.

So, no need for me to answer anymore as you bought it all, hook. line and sinker?

>:)

P.S.: Glad you got with the programme. ;)

V.

:)

Excellent suggestion! I will make a note of this.

:g Reminds me of a Doonesbury cartoon from the late 70s where Boopsie goes down to visit Graceland after Elvis' death. She's at a bouquet shop in Memphis, trying to order a flower arrangement for Elvis' grave-site. She gives a rather elaborate order to a harried-looking clerk, and then pauses at the end, saying, "But I want it to be...to be..." "Tasteful?" he inquires. She says yes, whereupon he turns to the back and yells, "Harry! Gimme an E-47, without the motor!"

FWIW I'm really digging the OP set, and I think he's perhaps less "florid"--is that the word I'm looking for--then he is on the later Verve recordings. More E-47, without the motor...

I admit not being a big fan of OP, but I also admit to know owning a single recording of his music. My exposure to him is very limited and this thread is making me question why I didn't care for him.

I'm not ready to purchase his Mosiac but I would be willing to get one of his recordings from eMusic. Can someone recommend a CD or two?

oscar-1-sm.jpg