Beatles Remasters coming! 09/09/09

Aggie87

I went to Target this morning and picked up A Hard Days Night, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt.Pepper, Magical Mystery, Abbey Road for a grand total of $69 ,I signed up for a target card which gave me another 10% off.

and with the gift certificates they gave me, The White Album cost $3.05 !

Edited by zen archer

Do I want/need the box the stereo masters come in, or should I save a few bucks and buy them individually at Target? Or should I wait and hope for remixes? At what point do the stereo mixes begin to serve the music well rather than detracting from it? Not feeling quite ready to plunk down my $180 (or $410 if I also were to spring for the mono masters), though part of me wants to.

Do I want/need the box the stereo masters come in, or should I save a few bucks and buy them individually at Target?

I think the box set includes an additional DVD that houses all of the "documentaries" that are on the individual discs. If that's the case, it's a unique item to the stereo box set, which you won't get if you buy the titles individually.

The documentaries are only about 3 minutes each though, so they don't appear to be of much significance.

At what point do the stereo mixes begin to serve the music well rather than detracting from it? Not feeling quite ready to plunk down my $180 (or $410 if I also were to spring for the mono masters), though part of me wants to.

IMHO, The White Album is the first album that is better in stereo. According to session logs, it is the first album where the stereo mixes were the priority. Everything until then is better in mono. IMHO.

Do I want/need the box the stereo masters come in, or should I save a few bucks and buy them individually at Target? Or should I wait and hope for remixes? At what point do the stereo mixes begin to serve the music well rather than detracting from it? Not feeling quite ready to plunk down my $180 (or $410 if I also were to spring for the mono masters), though part of me wants to.

It might be a long wait for Remixes......

This is pretty funny....

Like most people, I was initially confused by EMI’s decision to release remastered versions of all 13 albums by the Liverpool pop group Beatles, a 1960s band so obscure that their music is not even available on iTunes. The entire proposition seems like a boondoggle. I mean, who is interested in old music? And who would want to listen to anything so inconveniently delivered on massive four-inch metal discs with sharp, dangerous edges? The answer: no one. When the box arrived in the mail, I briefly considered smashing the entire unopened collection with a ball-peen hammer and throwing it into the mouth of a lion. But then, against my better judgment, I arbitrarily decided to give this hippie shit an informal listen. And I gotta admit—I’m impressed. This band was mad prolific.

Chuck Klosterman Repeats The Beatles

That is a pretty funny article for sure, totally dead pan.

I'd like to hear more about the Mono box, are the mixes really that different/worth it. I've never heard any of them.

The major difference in all of the mono mixes is that they are BALLSY, not wimpy like the stereo versions. "Revolution" and "Paperback Writer" in mono will knock you out. Once you hear the mono you won't be able to go back.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

I'd like to hear more about the Mono box, are the mixes really that different/worth it. I've never heard any of them.

The major difference in all of the mono mixes is that they are BALLSY, not wimpy like the stereo versions. "Revolution" and "Paperback Writer" in mono will knock you out. Once you hear the mono you won't be able to go back.

As I've said before, I have the Purple Chick mono versions of all of albums available in mono (Please, Please Me through the White Album) and I agree: Once you've heard the mono versions, the ear prefers it. The stereo mixes, for the most part, were hamfisted. I STILL don't understand the concept of putting the drums on one side of the stereo spectrum. When you are in a room with a drummer, even if he's all the way over to the left of you, you don't only hear it out of one ear! What were the engineers thinking?

I have now listened to "Sgt. Pepper" and "Rubber Soul." It's the details that jump out at you with the remasterings. I'm amazed at Ringo's drumming. His additions are subtle and tasteful. You really appreciate what a master of understatement he was (is).

I have also heard most of the "Past Masters" set at work (it was on the in-store play all evening) and it sounds DAMN good.

I notice, btw, that the "Past Masters" discs are a mix of mono and stereo mixes, just like the 1987 version, which is odd because I assumed that ALL of the mono mixes were being saved for the box set.

I'd just get the individual stereo masters. The DVD in the box contains the mini-docs that are on the individual CDs. Furthermore, the box is more expensive per-disc than the individual discs. Last but not least, Best Buy has the White Album on sale for $16.99 and the Past Masters 2-CD set for $12.99. If you were to buy all the stereo CDs at Best Buy, you'd actually be saving $15 off the box and getting pretty much the same thing (note that those prices are only good thru Saturday).

I notice, btw, that the "Past Masters" discs are a mix of mono and stereo mixes, just like the 1987 version, which is odd because I assumed that ALL of the mono mixes were being saved for the box set.

What else is in mono-only besides "You Know My Name"? I looked at the set today but didn't buy it (yet).

In the stand alone Past masters, sitting here by my left hand, the following 4 tracks are mono:

Love Me Do (original single version)

She Loves You

I'll Get You

You Know My Name

and all others are stereo, unfortunately.

I'm gonna wait for mono versions of the first few albums. I did pick up Past Masters today (obviously) Revolver, and Magical Mystery Tour.

Also a note at the back - everything taken "from the original stereo or mono analogue master tapes with the exception of 'Love Me Do' which was remastered from a mono disc."

Edited by Adam

Adam: I've read somewhere the Mono versions are not going to be released as individual cd's. That's one reason the box is more expensive (no after sales on the individual items) and the fact it's pressed and manufactured in Japan might also give it a higher price (besides the very limited edition "quality" of this set).

Adam: I've read somewhere the Mono versions are not going to be released as individual cd's. That's one reason the box is more expensive (no after sales on the individual items) and the fact it's pressed and manufactured in Japan might also give it a higher price (besides the very limited edition "quality" of this set).

Darn it, wish I'd known that before I ordered the Mono box. None the less it is a very attractive set, some of the mono mixes sound very different from their stereo counterparts especially the 4 previously unreleased tracks on Mono masters.

Sounds like I might be spending money I don't really have on something I don't really need but would knda like. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The Mono box is €250 in HMV over here and Tower have it for €270, I think.

Nice review of the Mono Box from AMG;

The Beatles: Mono Box Set

Edited by Cliff Englewood

Clunky: did you mean the Stereo box otherwise it doesn't make sense........

Just received both boxes and I'm enjoying Please Me in mono right now!!!

Woops..... I misread your post, regarding the mono sessions getting individual releases

Edited by Clunky

I'm gonna wait for the stereo mixes of the original mono re-mixes in which half the band is panned at 3 o'clock the other at 9 o'clock with the decompression applied to the left side of the compressed audio chain but double tracked for the limited edition re-release of the original mono-stereo tracks as ping-ponged by Geoffrey Emerick in the original secondary re-mix to tracks 3 and 4 and then before the echo was added by Dave Dexter before he talked to George Martin who then talked to EMI and the Queen and re-mastered the second mono mix to 12 track uncompressed stereo-mono originals with of course the second secret track added in which Paul admits he is not dead but getting old and tired.

assuming Yoko gives her permission.

Edited by AllenLowe

wrong, I blame jazz for the downfall of the Beatles.

actually, I blame jazz for everything - my bad skin, my impotence, my poverty, and the Republican party - and I particularly blame Chuck Nessa and Jim Alfredson.

(what are you talking about? I love the Beatles)

Edited by AllenLowe