Massive Fantasy Sale On Oldies.com

street singer

During Concord's June Blowout you'll find $5.98 prices on hundreds of titles across the site. See selections from your favorite genres in Classic Jazz, Contemporary Jazz, Pop&Rock, R&B/Soul, Blues and Classical.

If you can't see the email below, click here - http://www.concordmusicgroup.com/newsletter/summer09.html

Link to newsletter: http://www.concordmusicgroup.com/newsletter/summer09.html

The e-mail I got says until July 1st. I'd fight 'em on it!

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure you're already hip to this, but for anyone exploring the sale, realize that the offerings are pretty limited. (Not to say there isn't some fine stuff out there...) So, if you search for, say Hampton Hawes and don't see any discounted titles, don't be surprised. Try someone else.

Well, I blew it. Even though the link Ghost gave claimed the sale was good until 7/1, it seems to be over already. I was going to take advantage of it this week-end. Bummer.

Bertrand.

If you can remember the titles you want, just add them to the cart and they will still show as $5.98 provided they were part of the Vanished Concord June Blowout Sale of 2009. Still worked tonight as I just placed a large order and tried to remember as many titles as I could from looking at the sale pages yesterday and the thread here. Folks on some other boards have caught on too. CMG will still work, BTW. Don't know how long this will last as it may be a loophole they haven't gotten around to closing yet, so folks should act fast.

Edited by trane_fanatic

Yes, check the orders already posted here (has helped me). Here are a few that might not have been mentioned (not jazz but good deals still):

Paavo Jarvi & Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra Dvorak: Symphony No.9 / Martinu: Symphony No.2 SACD

Paavo Jarvi & Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra Stravinsky: Petrouchka, The Firebird Suite, Scherzo a la Russe SACD

Paavo Jarvi & Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra Bartok And Lutoslawski: Concertos For Orchestra SACD

Lightnin' Hopkins The Swarthmore Concert

Rev. Gary Davis A Little More Faith

Edited by gnhrtg

My order, still in process, based in large part on other's posted orders:

Monterey Jazz Festival 50th Anniversary All-Stars Live At The 2007 Monterey Jazz Festival MJFR-30433 1 $0.00

Sonny Rollins Plays For Bird [Rudy Van Gelder Remaster] PRCD-30647 1 $5.98

Art Pepper Gettin' Together! CSA-7573-6 1 $5.98

Sonny Criss This Is Criss! [Rudy Van Gelder Remaster] PRCD-30654 1 $5.98

Chet Baker In New York RISA-1119-6 1 $5.98

Johnny Griffin Bush Dance GCD-95004-2 1 $5.98

Gil Evans Gil Evans & Ten PRSA-7120-6 1 $5.98

Etta Jones Don't Go To Strangers [Rudy Van Gelder Remaster] PRCD-30007-2 1 $5.98

McCoy Tyner Enlightenment MCD-55001-2 1 $5.98

Sonny Criss Orchestra Sonny's Dream (Birth Of The New Cool) OJCCD-707-2 1 $5.98

Coleman Hawkins The Hawk Relaxes [Rudy Van Gelder Remaster] PRCD-8106-2 1 $5.98

Phineas Newborn Jr. A World Of Piano! OJCCD-175-2 1 $5.98

Shelly Manne And His Men Vol. 1: The West Coast Sound OJCCD-152-2 1 $5.98

TotalsSubtotal ( Items) $71.76

Shipping FedEx 4 Day Ground -$14.35

Tax $0.00

Total $57.41

Yes, check the orders already posted here (has helped me). Here are a few that might not have been mentioned (not jazz but good deals still):

Paavo Jarvi & Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra Dvorak: Symphony No.9 / Martinu: Symphony No.2 SACD

Paavo Jarvi & Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra Stravinsky: Petrouchka, The Firebird Suite, Scherzo a la Russe SACD

Paavo Jarvi & Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra Bartok And Lutoslawski: Concertos For Orchestra SACD

Lightnin' Hopkins The Swarthmore Concert

Rev. Gary Davis A Little More Faith

That's an eclectic list! I appreciate the tip about the prices remaining despite the disappearance of the site. I went ahead and ordered the Gil Evans and Ten SACD and the new Monterey Jazz All-stars cd. Used the "cmg" which pretty well covered postage.

greg mo

BTW, their site is seriously janky. It's like they paid a designer a ton of $$$ to make it really pretty and then had no money left for someone who understands how to build a good ecommerce website.

Forget about the usability issues, like the fact that it's almost impossible to search or browse by artist without drilling through multiple pages. The parts that keep track of your info seem really, really buggy. For example, I just placed my second order - but I never got a confirmation email for either of my two orders (has anyone else?) And now, although I wrote down my order number for the first order, it's nowhere to be seen in my order history....

BTW, their site is seriously janky. It's like they paid a designer a ton of $$$ to make it really pretty and then had no money left for someone who understands how to build a good ecommerce website.

Forget about the usability issues, like the fact that it's almost impossible to search or browse by artist without drilling through multiple pages. The parts that keep track of your info seem really, really buggy. For example, I just placed my second order - but I never got a confirmation email for either of my two orders (has anyone else?) And now, although I wrote down my order number for the first order, it's nowhere to be seen in my order history....

Couldn't agree more. Their saving grace is that, once you figure out how and where to email them about an order, they're usually pretty responsive, or at least, they have been in the past.

greg mo

Other titles available at $5.98 each that have not yet been mentioned on this thread include:

Dave Brubeck Quartet - Jazz at the College of the Pacific (K-2)

Dave Brubeck - Private Brubeck Remembers (SACD)

Miles Davis - Blue Haze

Miles Davis, Stan Getz, Gerry Mulligan, etc. - Conception

Howard McGhee - Maggie's Back in Town!

Mongo Santamaria - Mongo at the Village Gate

George Shearing & The Montgomery Brothers

Clark Terry - Duke with a Difference

Muddy Waters - Norman Granz, Jazz at the Philharmonic: Paris, 1972

Can't hurt to place a phone call. One of my orders was messed up not long ago and I just gave them a call and I just reordered it. They're pretty good over the phone.

Can't hurt to place a phone call. One of my orders was messed up not long ago and I just gave them a call and I just reordered it. They're pretty good over the phone.

Um...has anyone tried to call them this week? It's 4:30 EST and they say they don't close till 5, but I've now called twice (and left a message yesterday) and nobody has picked up or called me back.

Ok so now this link is back http://www.concordmusicgroup.com/promos/summer/ and no longer linking to box sets. Although it now says "Unfortunately, this sale had to be discontinued on Friday, June 12. The titles are still listed below at their regular price." but when you add the CDs to your cart they show up as $5.98????? I can only assume this is part of Concord's brilliant marketing plan so the customer will say "OH MY GOD! they're still on sale I'm buying 50 discs!!!" Mhmm, something like that... :mellow:

Edit: Here's a few other $5.98 titles I found that I don't see on any of the blowout sale pages

Amhed Abdul Malik - Jazz Sounds of Africa

Bill Evans - Alone (Again)

Bill Evans & Don Elliott - Tenderly: An Informal Session

Count Basie, Joe Turner - Bosses

Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson With The Cannonball Adderley Quintet - Cleanhead and Cannonball

Ella Fitzgerald - Ella A Nice

Ella Fitzgerald - Ella in London

Freddie Hubbard & Oscar Peterson - Face to Face

Gene Harris - The Gene Harris Trio Plus One

Geoffrey Keezer - Sublime: Honoring The Music Of Hank Jones

Hank Jones - Ain't Misbehavin'

Joe Pass & J.J. Johnson - We'll Be Together Again

Joe Pass Quartet - Nuages: Live At Yoshi's, Vol. 2

Louis Bellson Explosion

Roy Eldridge, Oscar Peterson & Dizzy Gillespie - Jazz Maturity

Steve Turre - One 4 J: Paying Homage to J.J. Johnson

Thelonious Monk Quartet - Misterioso

Edited by funkogre

I decided to sneak in one final impulse purchase.

Coleman Hawkins - The Hawk Flies High [Keepnews Collection] RCD-30505 $5.98

Joey DeFrancesco - Organic Vibes CCD-2306-2 $5.98

Ahmed Abdul-Malik - Jazz Sounds Of Africa PRCD-24279-2 $5.98

Hank Jones - Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Volume 16 CCD-4502-2 $8.98

I did finally manage to get through with them today, although the customer service rep seemed kind of frazzled and eager to get me off the phone. They said their IT dept. has been notified about some customers not getting confirmation emails, and that one of my orders had some items backordered but the other one is ready to ship.